Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

MEKsLP
Gerbil
Topic Author

Advice on a Music Player for my PC

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:18 am

So my iTunes database file has some major corruption issues. I have been using the same library file since before the first series of iPods came out and somewhere along the way some of the data got messed up and now weird things are happening with trying to save new data to the library file. I figure if I am going to have to start the library over I might as well see what is out there for software. Currently I have +30,000 mp3 files on my comptuer and am looking for a program that is good for power-editing my mp3 file data (genres, artist info, etc.). I like a lot of aesthetics and usability of iTunes but feel that it uses a lot of system overhead for components that I don't need or use. I have considered Google Music but that seems to be slightly primitive with some of its features. Also, I use an older Ipod nano and love to make playlists and mixes so the software would have to be conducive to both of those tasks. Is iTunes still the best option for me? Is there something I could be using to edit my music while using iTunes?
Any advice is much appreciated!

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Re: Advice on a Music Player for my PC

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:42 am

I use MediaMonkey, which has full support for apple devices (to include rebuilding libraries and whatnot), a huge array of organization options, several different interface options, and even skinning support.

The downside is that the free version (which I use) will occasionally open a web browser (or tab) to Amazon bringing up whatever track/artist you last clicked/played. It only happens once every 30min or so (and if you're just running a playlist and doing no actual clicking it won't pop up anything), but it's something that is a deal breaker for some people. I don't know if it does anything else nefarious in the background, but it handles my library quite well. I should probably just get the "gold" or "premium" version or whatever it's called, but I'm cheap and lazy....
I am jaded. I am cynical.