Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Phantom Floppy Drive after PC reset from freeze?

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:30 am

So... my PC just froze up...

So I hit the reset button and my BIOS reset itself back to factory default settings and installed a floppy disk drive!!!!

Anyway I just changed the boot priority back and flipped AHCI back on. But why did this happen? It's very weird having a floppy drive listed when there's physically nothing connected....

Gerbils provide me your tasty knowledge!

Thanks! :D

Specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
q9450
p35k-e
4gb ddr2
560ti
1 x SSD, 3 x HDD.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Phantom Floppy Drive after PC reset from freeze?

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:08 am

there should be an option in the bios to disable the floppy drive which should make it disappear from windows too.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:29 am

cheesyking wrote:
there should be an option in the bios to disable the floppy drive which should make it disappear from windows too.

Yeah... but why would my BIOS reset like that?
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:49 am

yogibbear wrote:
cheesyking wrote:

Yeah... but why would my BIOS reset like that?
hard to say, done any overclocking? Some boards like to reset the bios after a crash if they think it was caused by overclocking (though you normally get some kind of extra message if this is the case).

If it keeps doing it I'd invest in a new cmos battery but if that doesn't fix it there could be some kind of problem with the board.

If you're asking why did it reset with the floppy on then... the board probably shipped with "optimised defaults" and when it reset it went back to an absolute default setting for safety. Since floppy drives are really old and back-in-the-day every PC was expected to have at least one there isn't anything built in to the system for actually detecting whether they're connected or not it's just assumed that they are unless the bios is told to report otherwise. (IIRC, its been a while since I thought about floppy drives)
Fernando!

Your mother ate my dog!

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:31 am

Could be a bad CMOS battery. Is there a screen in the BIOS that tells you the CMOS battery voltage? If so, it should be around 3.0. If it's below ~2.5, the CMOS battery needs to be replaced.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.