Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

lazy_boy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Problem with My Book Western Digital

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi

I recently bought a 3TB My Book Western Digital HDD, however when I plugg it into my computer to transfer data it works fine but when I try to click on the little icon in the system tray to safely remove it I get a message saying something like "The HDD you're trying to remove is currently in use....etc" and when I just unplugg it I get an error message about Windows Explorer stopped working and major lagg in my system until I close the second error message regarding Windows Explorer. Any thought????? :D

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Problem with My Book Western Digital

Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:34 pm

Close all open Explorer windows and the "still in use" nag should go away.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

lazy_boy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:07 pm

I made sure no Windows Explorer are open and it's still doing it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Did you install the software that came with the MyBook? If you don't actually need any of the features of the WD software, uninstall it.

Closing your Explorer windows doesn't shut down Explorer, since by default they run in the same process as your desktop. To get the folder windows to run separately from the desktop you need to enable the "Launch folder windows in a separate process" option in your Folder Options.

It is also possible that you may also have a mis-behaving shell extension installed, or perhaps some other application (e.g. anti-virus) is scanning files on the drive.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:32 pm

^^^ Yes, those are all good advices... Don't install/use any "applications" that come with your external HDD if you don't NEED them (I never do), and if you have them installed - try to uninstall them. Also, some antivirus programs might be set up to automatically scan all the files on external USB devices and it may take a lot of time (depending on antivirus program and on number of files). See if your antivirus program has related setting (something that may be called "scan removable drives" or something similar), temporarily disable it and see if it helps.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:46 pm

My own 4TB MyBook is a bit skittish at times.

First off, it's not a very peppy device.

Second, I sometimes lose the network connection to it when downloading directly or transferring files. This happens with both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Third, it seems to max out my network quickly when I transfer data to it from a local hard drive folder, especially if the file being transferred is a large file such as a zip or iso. I think this issue is not a network problem per se, but instead a function of the slow disks inside the MyBook.

I'll continue to use it for "nearline storage", but I'm not fond of it and truth be told, I won't look at another one in the future. I'll build my own NAS with separately purchased hard drives of my own choosing.