Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Raspberry Pi

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:59 pm

Whos got one?

I've got 3 HTPC stations utilizng network storage to playback a XBMC station. Will the Raspberry Pi fulfill these needs?

Anyone

Jingles
Gerbil

Re: Raspberry Pi

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Yes a Raspberry Pi and Raspbmc will do what you want.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Raspberry Pi

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:54 pm

DiMaestro wrote:
Whos got one?

I've got 3 HTPC stations utilizng network storage to playback a XBMC station. Will the Raspberry Pi fulfill these needs?

Anyone

I am a RasPi owner, but I'm not using it for XBMC (I'm using in an embedded sensor application). As DiMaestro pointed out, there definitely is support for XBMC. I will say that you are not going to get huge bandwidth through the on-board ethernet adapter (it claims 100 Mbits, but it is actually going through an internal USB adapter to communicate with the chip). I think it should give you enough bandwidth to support a single display, especially if you are reading H.264 data from the remote storage. Obviously the RasPi is only going to drive 1 display (it is capable of 1080p), so you you'll need three RasPis for three setups.

One note: RaspPi does support H.264 acceleration, but does *not* support MPEG-2 by default (you can actually purchase support separately). Obviously you can try to decode in software, but the CPU on the RasPi isn't super powerful. I'm not 100% sure about acceleration support for other formats like MPEG4/VC-1/etc., so please check to make sure your media files are actually supported.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.