RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

Left_SHifted
Gerbil

Re: Whoa

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:20 am

looks like the overspill from the game.amd.com site :D

good going guys, looks like the techreport went goth :)

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:27 am

As the site becomes more popular I imagine more offers that become increasingly more difficult to refuse appear. It's a rather natural progression and despite my lack of affection, I understand the site isn't free to operate. Growth!

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:38 am

I don't mind the image...but if too many clickable backgrounds are implemented, the adblocker is going on.

Sorry, TR, but I hate misclicking and ending up on a completely different site.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:26 am

superjawes wrote:
I don't mind the image...but if too many clickable backgrounds are implemented, the adblocker is going on.

Heh, sounds like a touchscreen accuracy issue. It is near impossible to "miss" with a mouse, unless laziness kicks in.
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

superjawes

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:36 am

ClickClick5 wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Heh, sounds like a touchscreen accuracy issue. It is near impossible to "miss" with a mouse, unless laziness kicks in.

Or you click back into the window after doing something else.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:42 am

superjawes wrote:

^^ This. It will take some getting used too, that and the Wendell thing on the front page aren't exactly my favorite things. Oh well, not that big a deal, only want the best for TR after all.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:15 am

superjawes wrote:
ClickClick5 wrote:
superjawes wrote:

But dont you know with Windows 8 you dont click back to a window?
I'm just messing with you. The site threw me off this morning too, and I was looking for one of Scotty's Etc. posts and did not find one.
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:21 am

I must also express my distaste for click-able backgrounds. I'm a compulsive clicker, meaning that I click on things as I'm reading them even if it doesn't do anything. I highlight sections of text as I read them, which drives others crazy if they're trying to read it as well. Having the side of the webpage be a click-able advertisement frequently takes me away from the site for a moment.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

superjawes

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:31 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I must also express my distaste for click-able backgrounds. I'm a compulsive clicker, meaning that I click on things as I'm reading them even if it doesn't do anything. I highlight sections of text as I read them, which drives others crazy if they're trying to read it as well. Having the side of the webpage be a click-able advertisement frequently takes me away from the site for a moment.

The worst is middle clicking to scroll and instead opening a new tab for the ad...

I suspect I will be fine so long as it stays on the front page. I usually click back in on articles and forum posts and don't spend a whole lot of time on the front page.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:47 am

I think it's kinda funny actually.

AMD: "The GTX 660 is releasing today? Here tech report take this fat check* and put up a huge ad for AMD cards."

* - Hopefully it's a fat check anyway, :D

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:10 pm

You know, I love AMD, and I love Radeons. But I do NOT want TR looking like HardOCP. I do not use the adblocker in Opera for TR, but damnit... I don't want "Sleeping Dogs" game ads fuggering up my nice clean (though not as clean as the 02-03 days) TR layout.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Philldoe wrote:
You know, I love AMD, and I love Radeons. But I do NOT want TR looking like HardOCP. I do not use the adblocker in Opera for TR, but damnit... I don't want "Sleeping Dogs" game ads fuggering up my nice clean (though not as clean as the 02-03 days) TR layout.

NOW introducing the mandatory $9.99 subscription for TR members. If you pay the $14.99 a month, you get into the paid members forum section. If you pay $29.99, you get a Gerbil starter kit! It includes a shirt, a small plush gerbil, a hand written thanks letter from Dr. Fish himself, and one of the HDDs used in previous benchmarks. Plus you get entered into a drawing that is done monthly for a new cpu, gpu, or mobo. Of which is drawn randomly each month also.

Man I'm in a randomly good mood today.

druidcent

Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:59 pm

Weird... I didn't even notice until this thread... now I can not unsee :(

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:33 pm

I have an adblocker on, but I set it to give exemptions to most of TR's stuff(Some of the exact ad servers I've black listed because they virused me or others I knew in the past). I didn't notice this, though. I guess they're using some of the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeviiiiiiiiiillllllllll adservers. :P

Dposcorp

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Guys, i dont mod this forum, but talking about blocking ads has always been a big no no in the forum, even in this case if memory serves.

On a personal note, the site and content have to be paid for somehow. Its silly to believe its ok to block ads and expect the site to not be affected.

I know we are spoiled by how much free stuff there is online, but a lot of it is crap. If site changes that maximize revenue help pay for this content that I enjoy, not to mention the giveaways TR has, then I am all for it.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:46 pm

ClickClick5 wrote:
NOW introducing the mandatory $9.99 subscription for TR members. If you pay the $14.99 a month, you get into the paid members forum section. If you pay $29.99, you get a Gerbil starter kit! It includes a shirt, a small plush gerbil, a hand written thanks letter from Dr. Fish himself, and one of the HDDs used in previous benchmarks. Plus you get entered into a drawing that is done monthly for a new cpu, gpu, or mobo. Of which is drawn randomly each month also.

Man I'm in a randomly good mood today.

*blink-blink* Me? Have you seen my handwriting? There's a reason I'm not allowed to do the cornhole tourney brackets anymore. :lol: Also, FWIW I would totally sign up for $10-20 a year to remove the side ads, they are a special kind of annoying. I'm sure I'll adjust regardless though and its ultimately good for TR so of course I'm on board.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
Guys, i dont mod this forum, but talking about blocking ads has always been a big no no in the forum, even in this case if memory serves.

And your memory serves you correctly.

The rest here should take the hint.

Thanks for listening.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

superjawes

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:55 pm

12.) Ad-blocking software: Since advertisements are the primary source of revenue for the Tech Report, all links/hints/recommendations/suggestions for ad-blocking software will be deleted. This includes flash blocking but does NOT include pop-up blocking. Basically, treat ad-blocking like warez where the forums are concerned. Philosophical discussions are okay, suggesting people use it (or linking to it) is not.

Aware of the rules, I am, but the rule in question I shall provide.

This is why I disable my blocks on sites I support like TR. Ads are fine until they start changing/interfering with site functions, which is why the background ad might be frustrating.

But going to drfish's comment, I'd support a TR kickstarter like PA did for their site.

thill9
Gerbil First Class

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:56 pm

If you don't like it, select the narrow version of the page, and resize your browser until the horizontal slider at the bottom of the browser goes away. Problem solved.

Sheesh...

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Dposcorp wrote:

On a personal note, the site and content have to be paid for somehow. Its silly to believe its ok to block ads and expect the site to not be affected.

I know we are spoiled by how much free stuff there is online, but a lot of it is crap. If site changes that maximize revenue help pay for this content that I enjoy, not to mention the giveaways TR has, then I am all for it.

Take note that this sort of thing is usually better received with a warning of some sort, such as a "you may notice these background banners now" news post.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:17 pm

I don't remember the last time I browsed the internet in a maximized window. The window can be shrunken, the ads can disappear. :o
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Dposcorp

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:22 pm

So this suggestion

thill9 wrote:
If you don't like it, select the narrow version of the page, and resize your browser until the horizontal slider at the bottom of the browser goes away. Problem solved.

Sheesh...

Plus this suggestion

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't remember the last time I browsed the internet in a maximized window. The window can be shrunken, the ads can disappear. :o

=

1)Narrow page version
2)Shrink the window
3)?????
4)TR & Readers Profit!

On a serious note,

lilbuddhaman wrote:

Take note that this sort of thing is usually better received with a warning of some sort, such as a "you may notice these background banners now" news post.

Yeah, I wish they would warn us when things may be changing. :roll:

http://techreport.com/news/23481/bang-o ... -you-would

http://techreport.com/news/23507/everyt ... w-a-little

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Dposcorp wrote:

Something that is instantly recognizable to every person who goes to the page isn't worthy of even a mention in a post ALL ABOUT changes coming?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Dposcorp wrote:

I must be blind, but I see not a single word about "drastic background changes" :roll:

Anyway, it doesn't really affect me (for various reasons), so I personally don't care. It's just it would be nicer that all of the changes would be explicitly stated in an easier-to-read way, so there would be no reason to start threads like these.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Dposcorp

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Seriously, two front page posts about the site and its code changing in the previous few weeks, but because not every little detail was made known, you guys want to complain?
I just dont get that. I am sure I am just too much of a homer to complain about this stuff, but still.

Do you guys think Damage and crew and sitting around saying " what kind of ads can we use that wont bother anyone?"
Its more like "whats the least distracting and annoying way we can make some ad dollars to keep the site running?"

I much rather have something I can resize out of my view, as opposed to pop ups, little ads between ever article, and the payola from hardware companies that has been known to happen.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
Seriously, two front page posts about the site and its code changing in the previous few weeks, but because not every little detail was made known, you guys want to complain?

That's not a "little detail", though, especially from visual point of view - it's much more noticeable (to a certain people) than all the minor changes which were actually mentioned in those posts. Once again, in case you didn't understand: I believe that if there was a proper notification about such (visually) significant change there wouldn't be any really "surprised" people and threads like this wouldn't exist. Regardless of the actual content displayed in these changes :wink:
And I'm not really complaining (just like I already mentioned above - the changes don't affect me in any way), I'm just explaining a situation to a few people who were "surprised" by other "surprised" people's reaction :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:20 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
Do you guys think Damage and crew and sitting around saying " what kind of ads can we use that wont bother anyone?"
Its more like "whats the least distracting and annoying way we can make some ad dollars to keep the site running?"

I have enough respect for the guys to think that they legitimately said both of those things and considered all the angles possible. I'm just asking that even if they decide they have to choose the "worse" scenario (adding more ads), that they admit to it, so we can expect it. I'll keep coming to the site, I'll keep seeing the great content of it without being obstructed by ads, but at the same time I guess that comes with the continuing level of openness the guys have had in the past.

I like this site, I love this site, i browse it when I shouldn't, I reload the front page at off hours for no reason other than internet boredom, it's my damn homepage on half my devices (straight google.com for everything else)....but I'm also (as my sig says), a jaded stubborn guy that will fight tooth and nail against changes to certain things in my day-to-day routine. I'm a 29 years young senile old man.

/shrug this doesn't bother me...but I've seen sites go down this road before and it ends bad....real bad.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:32 pm

There are ads all over the front page and on nearly every page of the site and forums already. You guys are freaking out about nothing. Maybe people should learn to use keyboard shortcuts or something so they aren't freaking out about clicking on the ad.

lilbuddhaman wrote:
Something that is instantly recognizable to every person who goes to the page isn't worthy of even a mention in a post ALL ABOUT changes coming?

I had to resize my window to even see what you guys were talking about. Not everyone sees it.

I too apparently am too much of a homer.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100