Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:58 pm

I'm surprised to see nobody talking about this game, I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on it. Only 1 month left to go (Oct 9th Release)

http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/

http://www.twitch.tv/2k/videos

I have to say I like what I have seen so far, seems like they have made sensible decisions to streamline the UI and gameplay. I'm sure there will be a few nervous XCOM vets out there worried about the changes, but I'm hopeful they will be OK. I've got my pre-order in, although there is rumour of a really cool digital pre-order bonus so depending what that is and whether it can be bought as DLC or something like that I may switch my pre-order from hard copy to digital but either way I'm getting this puppy.

Just figured I would put this one out there for anyone who hadn't heard about it yet, would love to see the XCOM franchise back up and running at full steam :D

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Re: XCOM Enemy Unknown

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:16 pm

Looks interesting, similar to the original XCom but with lots of updates.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:13 am

I will wait and see on this one.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:28 am

Hmm. Sure, looks updated to say the least...

But they seem to have missed the old atmosphere by a lightyear or two, and gone completely Transformers on it.... :(
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:59 am

Waiting for release...no preorder bonus will trick me into a potential failure.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:26 pm

I've been following this one for a while as well. The Joystiq staff keep gushing about it every time they get to play a demo at a gamer conference. I'm good with what I see and I like that they've kept a lot of the original XCOM elements (turn-based, resource allocation, permadeath for soldiers, etc.)

I think I'm going to pre-order this one.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Krogoth wrote:
I will wait and see on this one.

This one would break me if I pre-ordered it and it turned out to be crap. I'll keep my happy X-Com memories until I hear it's good.

What's the pre-order bonus anyway?

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 am

Fan of the old series, can't say I dig the aesthetic or atmosphere in the trailer. They've gone for a very generic Hasbro-like machismo look without a lot of character or style.

Will definitely be waiting for reviews before laying any cash down.

On the bright side, they announced at PAX that they would be using Steamworks for DRM, so the system won't be too intrusive. On the downside, they also said no mods. Boo.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:36 am

The way I see it is there's not much chance of any remake living up to the original, but I think I can enjoy what they have done with this remake. If it does turn out that things could have been better, well hopefully they learn from their mistakes and do an expansion/sequel. I would hate to see this one not sell and be a fizzler sending XCOM into indefinite hiatus.

The other thing is that it's not like the original and Terror from the deep weren't without their flaws, I remember enjoying them but I do still remember they felt quite cumbersome and fiddley at times. Mod support would be great, a more eerie and darker atmosphere would be good too.. I just hope I am pleasantly surprised with it, I'm sure it will be fun but I don't know if it will be great. When was the last time someone really got a sequel right? The only one that comes to mind is the recent Deus Ex that I still haven't played, but it sounded pretty good.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:45 am

blitzy wrote:
When was the last time someone really got a sequel right? The only one that comes to mind is the recent Deus Ex that I still haven't played, but it sounded pretty good.
Starcraft II? Half-Life 2? Assassins Creed 2? Mass Effect 2?

In any case, XCOM Enemy Unknown gameplay.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

druidcent

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Here I think this is the X-Com remake everyone is looking for: Xenonauts

Not to say that this one doesn't look interesting... I'll probably pick it up during a steam sale..

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Darkmage wrote:
blitzy wrote:
When was the last time someone really got a sequel right? The only one that comes to mind is the recent Deus Ex that I still haven't played, but it sounded pretty good.
Starcraft II? Half-Life 2? Assassins Creed 2? Mass Effect 2?

In any case, XCOM Enemy Unknown gameplay.

I think youre right, that does show that sequels can be done well but I think it is very difficult to surpass an original title like xcom. Being a picky person/gamer I have criticisms of all those games except assasins creed which I haven't played. SC2 to me is almost a different game than SC1, I'm also in the minority of people who thought HL2 was overhyped, and interesting at first but ultimately very shallow (the physics gimmicks did nothing for me). Even ME2, while it did streamline a lot of things about the game it did take away some of the RPG aspects of the game that I felt were important (and realistically ME1 was very easy to improve upon, it had a fantastic story but suffered from rather mediocre gameplay, and terrible interface).

I think in the case of xcom it's very difficult to streamline the game without taking away depth, kind of in the same vein as SC2. Although on the other hand new aspects like the perk system are a nice way to add new choices in the game. I think it will be a good game and I will have fun with it, even if it doesn't play exactly the same as the original. It's kind of like the Civ series, they have all had slightly different tangents but have all been enjoyable (at least all the ones I have played).

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Some more tid bits about the game, sounding quite promising.. not expecting miracles but it should be decent.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09 ... with-xcom/

Voldenuit

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:51 pm

blitzy wrote:
Some more tid bits about the game, sounding quite promising.. not expecting miracles but it should be decent.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09 ... with-xcom/

That was a promising article. I admit I was one of the naysayers, but the thought of fighting Sectoids and Mutons again got me piqued.

@blitzy: thanks for keeping us informed!
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Jon
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:16 am

The audio and music made the original game for me. I hope the new version has similar.
-Playing shooters on a console is like doing brain surgery with an ice-cream scoop-

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:37 am

blitzy wrote:
So here's the $60K question: Is this game's promise worth organizing a four-pack group buy, similar to the one going for Borderlands 2?

Madman

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Is it going to be a DRM title?

What is the time-line of XCOMs anyway? I remember the game from DOS era, which was awesome. One was on land, one on water. But then, I can't find them on GOG, there is only UFO:after/light/math/shock

Are they from the same series? Are they as good as originals?
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:52 pm

In case anyone is really jonesing for X-Com, they are all available through Steam.

druidcent

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:35 am

It was XCom: Enemy Unknown(land and space), Terror from the Deep (underwater), Interceptor (flight sim), and X-Com: Apocalypse (future based land). They were all DOS based games.. I picked up the entire series on Steam during a sale, but only the first one plays well.. the others have various issues.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:45 am

X-COM UFO Defense / UFO - Enemy Unknown are the same game and the original X-COM title.

I'm playing it now on steam. It is AWESSSSOOOMMMEEEEEEE. ~ 35 hrs + in.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Voldenuit

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:15 pm

Madman wrote:

What is the time-line of XCOMs anyway? I remember the game from DOS era, which was awesome. One was on land, one on water. But then, I can't find them on GOG, there is only UFO:after/light/math/shock

What druidcent and yogibbear said. The X-COM games are the originals, the UFO: AFter-light/math/shock were made later by a completely different developer as homages to the X-COM games.

The first two (Enemy Unknown and Terror From the Deep) are generally acknowledged as the best of the original series. TFTD is the more challenging game, but it also has several potential game-killing bugs. For instance, if you research some items in the wrong order, a required research item to complete the game will never show up.

Never played Interceptor, it was generally panned.

X-COM: Apocalypse was a radical departure in style and gameplay in many respects, it can be fun if played right, but it was never as good as the originals IMO and the eerie atmosphere (which I thought was handled best in TFTD) was lost.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Terror From The Deep is significantly more challenging than the first game. However, it includes a few small tweaks to the user interface that I really miss in the original UFO (like being able to reserve enough time units to kneel+shoot).

I picked up all of the XCOM games through Steam a while back. They come pre-configured with seamless DOSBOX emulation, so they run perfectly well under 64-bit Windows 7.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

druidcent

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:45 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Terror From The Deep is significantly more challenging than the first game. However, it includes a few small tweaks to the user interface that I really miss in the original UFO (like being able to reserve enough time units to kneel+shoot).

I picked up all of the XCOM games through Steam a while back. They come pre-configured with seamless DOSBOX emulation, so they run perfectly well under 64-bit Windows 7.

I'll have to try again.. last time I tried TFTD and Apocalypse, it didn't work for me... :P Maybe I'll try downloading and reinstalling the files.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:53 am

The other reason UFO Defense is much easier than TFTD is that the higher difficulty levels don't actually work so you're ALWAYS playing on Easy.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:15 am

Darkmage wrote:
blitzy wrote:
So here's the $60K question: Is this game's promise worth organizing a four-pack group buy, similar to the one going for Borderlands 2?

I would have been keen for a group buy but I've already pre-ordered my copy here, it's 44.99 at greenmangaming.com (includes the pre-order bonus). On steam there is a potential bonus for some TF2 items and free copy of Civ5 if enough people buy it. I'm not sure where the cheapest place to pick it up is (since I live in NZ all the prices I see are different)

And another preview video with some tidbits:
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/4mw5 ... wn-preview

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:57 am

ChronoReverse wrote:
The other reason UFO Defense is much easier than TFTD is that the higher difficulty levels don't actually work so you're ALWAYS playing on Easy.

Correction, the bug only affect tactical combat part of the game. The harder difficulties still affected strategy aspect of the game. For example, on Superhuman difficulty you usually get raped by Mutons and Ethereals by the second or third month with 1/3 to 2/3 of your sponsors gone.

TFTD was harder because the weapons on average were weaker, the enemies and missions (more difficult terrain to navigate around and less visibility) were tougher.

Molecular Control is a requirement to beat the game on harder difficulties.
Last edited by Krogoth on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Crayon Shin Chan

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:36 am

I loved the original XCOM, and I'm reserving my excitement for Xenonauts instead, since it's exactly the same thing as the original XCOM but with better graphics... which is really all I need.

Of course, I'll still check out the new XCOM.
Mothership: FX-8350, 12GB DDR3, M5A99X EVO, MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Crucial MX500 500GB
Supply ship: [email protected], 12GB DDR3, M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Corsair: Thinkpad X230

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:53 am

If you guys are playing X-Com, you owe it to yourself to look into xcomutil

https://sites.google.com/site/stjones/xcomutil

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Madman wrote:

The game is going to be Steamworks DRM

I don't think Firaxis have clarified the timeline for the new game, they are being quite tight lipped about the storyline which is hopefully going to be a good thing. Pretty sure the timeline goes in order of the games, UFO TFTD then the other ones are set in the future.

I only ever played UFO and TFTD, not sure if the others are worth playing but I'm pretty sure the 2 I've played are the best. You can buy the whole old xcom game pack of games for about $15 on steam. Not bad value, but I doubt I would play them once this new one is out.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:43 pm

A demo is now available on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200510/