Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

computer sleeps immediately after waking

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:57 am

have an acer laptop, and when you wake it after sleeping, it comes on, lockscreen appears, and then it immediately sleeps. once woken a second time, it works normally. does this about 70% of the time. can't see anything in the event viewer that would cause this. any ideas?

satchmobob
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: computer sleeps immediately after waking

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Faulty lid switch?

Edit: Guess not if it works second time. Just ignore whatever I said!
If we cannot be free, at least we can be cheap! FZ.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Don't even know where to begin on that one, but is this windows 7 or vista?

If so, maybe try turning off hybrid sleep in the power options menu?

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:03 pm

its win 7, and it's not the switch. i'll try hybrid boot.

edit: nope, not fixed ;(
Last edited by sweatshopking on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:07 pm

Yes, usually the problem is the opposite -- something keeps waking the machine up, so it won't stay asleep. And usually when a machine is narcoleptic, it's because of failing hardware or thermal issues, and it won't stay awake. The "needs to be woken twice" thing is strange and unusual. I wonder if a peripheral isn't waking properly the first time. Do you have anything connected (external USB devices, etc) and if so have tried this with them disconnected. Are all your drivers up to date (or conversely, did this start happening after a recent driver update)? Did he machine wake from sleep correctly at one time and now it doesn't? (If so, what changed?)

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:14 pm

started after a clean install of windows. wife said it happened sometimes before, but not as consistently. the machine only wakes initially when you push a button, that part seems to be working. nothing connected to it. drivers are all up to date. yeah, i see it's weird, not much info available online, people usually have the opposite problem. some guys i found with a similar issue said it was a problem with the battery, but this happens to me when it's plugged in.

satchmobob
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Have you tried without the battery in at all...

Also, very unlikely but a few years ago we had a laptop come in with some guy saying whenever he puts his wrist near the palm rest his screen goes off.
Quickly realised he was wearing one of those 'medical' magnetic bracelet things which was closing the reed switch for the lid.
Another thing, does it happen in safe mode, and have you got the acer ePower or whatever they call that crap now installed?
Last edited by satchmobob on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If we cannot be free, at least we can be cheap! FZ.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Not sure if this will work but do Ubuntu live cds come with a sleep mode? Maybe you could try that and see if you get the same result. It may rule out drivers + software at least.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:39 pm

can't remove the battery, it's an acer 3830t timelinex. i think i might do a format. having other power issues as well. the battery icon keeps disappearing, and power options is misbehaving. once i plug it in the icon comes back (it's unavailable when i try turn it on) and i can adjust the power options. the fact it's on battery keeps messing up... weird... i'll mess with it and see what i can do.

i'm dling linux right now. i'll try sleeping on that.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:46 pm

I wonder if you have a battery that's going bad. It's possible the draw of all the h/w waking up is causing voltage to sag, and the OS notices that as soon as it can and interprets it as an almost-dead battery, causing it go back to sleep. When you wake it the second time, more of the hardware is already awake (in particular the HD is still spinning) so the sag isn't as bad and the OS proceeds as normal. In the Control Panel power settings (advanced, Battery) what do you have set for "low battery action" and "critical battery action"?

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:58 pm

Yeah, I would check your power settings. It does sound like your battery appears to be too low, prompting the sleep.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:15 pm

well, it's an ssd, and the battery still gets 6+ hours of runtime, but i can see that it might have another issue.

it was tricky to get it to figure out the battery was in. i had to restart it a few times inorder for it to pick it up.

critical is hibernation, but it's not doing that, it's sleeping. low is 10% and "do nothing". friggin thing is annoying the F out of me.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:25 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
it was tricky to get it to figure out the battery was in. i had to restart it a few times inorder for it to pick it up.
So perhaps it has that problem when waking from sleep too: the OS looks around and goes "oh crap, there's no battery, need to put this thing back into sleep while there's still juice from somewhere." Whatever the case, the fact that the battery seems to come and go suggests you may have a hardware issue.