Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Borderlands 2

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:20 am

Just curious who will be getting this game. Me and my friend have been waiting forever for it. The first one was by far one of the most fun games I have played in my entire life. The storyline may not be as deep as some other games, but its witty and fast paced gameplay made it amazing. There are not that many good co-op games out there and this fills my need.

I really wanted to get the ultimate loot chest edition but it sold out so fast I never got the chance.

So who else will be in pandora?

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Borderlands 2

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 am

I'm actually not sure if there is a thread for this...I know that there's a 4-pack thread still out there somewhere.

But I will be playing for sure. The mechanics were very good (and you can't fix broken mechanics with story), and it looks like there is some good upgrades going on to the basic classes from the first. I'll miss Mordecai (sp?), but I am sure to have fun with Zer0.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:30 am

superjawes wrote:
I'm actually not sure if there is a thread for this...I know that there's a 4-pack thread still out there somewhere.

But I will be playing for sure. The mechanics were very good (and you can't fix broken mechanics with story), and it looks like there is some good upgrades going on to the basic classes from the first. I'll miss Mordecai (sp?), but I am sure to have fun with Zer0.

Yes I will be going from Mordecai to Zero as well.
I am kind of just hoping for not much change gameplay wise. I really enjoyed the way the first game went and I hope they didn't ruin this one.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:40 am

I think the DLC's were a little bit weak, but I enjoyed the first game just fine without them.

I'm hoping they don't do 0-day DLC and leave the main storyline incomplete without it. That is just WRONG.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:45 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
I think the DLC's were a little bit weak, but I enjoyed the first game just fine without them.

I'm hoping they don't do 0-day DLC and leave the main storyline incomplete without it. That is just WRONG.

The general Knoxx armory DLC was probably the best DLC I have ever purchased for any game. Even though the driving in it was a bit crazy.
The rest of the DLC lacked. And were actually way to easy.
I was already max level playing the other DLC and could just walk through them.

superjawes

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:47 am

I thought the day 0 DLC was going to be free, and was mostly to add the mechromancer class...am I wrong?

But speaking of DLC overall, Borderlands would be a grea candidate for a super short campaign at $30-$40, and then playing out the rest in episodes. Really, the mechanics are the key selling point, and more missions is how to play it out. I think it would work pretty well if they planned on telling the entire story that way (or just several shorter stories).

PS and Knoxx was pretty fun. I really liked Knoxx's character, and would hope to see him come back. Sure, he died, but it's not like the game is going for realism.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:48 am

Yeah, Mord to Zero here, too.

I have my two GPU test rigs pre-loaded and ready to rock.

I suspect the DLC will be better this time. I expect they will have built in facilities for multiple save points and progression this time around. Not having that really caused some issues with the DLC for the first game, and they seemed to get that when I brought it up with a friend who works in PR there. Really doubt they repeat that mistake.

I'm also oddly excited about the existence of FXAA now, which "fixes" the AA problems in the original game (go try it) and will be built into the new one. (AMD's MLAA was initially less effective due to some visual artifacts, but they've cleaned it up somewhat, too, although FXAA still looked better last I checked.)

Also, news bomb: Although Nvidia initially trumpeted BL2 as one of the first games to use TXAA, it turns out the game won't support it. The deferred shading in UE3 just didn't mix with TXAA (which uses 2X MSAA plus a custom filter), apparently. No great shock, when you think about the history of UE games with MSAA.

Regardless, FXAA is a good solution for this problem, and it should mean the dark edges produced by that pseudo-cel-shader are smooth and crisp throughout.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:52 am

Siren to Siren here.

Don't remember their names.

Maya and... um............ Lillypie?

Specc'ing for DPS and Healing I think. (Am playing 4xCo-op with mates so they'll need some of that healing).

Can hit top DPS line chart with minor specs into healing column afterwards.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:59 am

Questions did they fix the annoying bug where guns with 4 + modifiers didn't fit all their stats on the end and you had to shoot them a bit or compare prices to work out which one was better near the end of the game when guns were dropping with 6-7 stats?
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Got a non-stop weekend session planned with Shoes, Sheldonmaus, and Entweichen. I am really looking forward to it. :D Friday can't come soon enough.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:40 pm

It's unlocked now for people in USA! If you're still not sleeping - start playing! :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

superjawes

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:06 am

Since I couldn't sleep, I logged an hour or so into the game. It doesn't seem nearly as forgiving as the first one was, where at least you started with a relevant weapon that fit your character (somewhat spoiler, you'll have to play a bit before you can get a sniper rifle).

But otherwise, It's very much as I left it, although there already seems to be more story. I'll be interested to see how that turns out, but the mechanics are back and working fine, and the humor (particularly Claptrap's) is excellent, too.

Happy hunting!

/passes out

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:19 am

Hmm... The "Premiere Club" DLC content doesn't appear to be working yet... Says "purchased", but "not downloaded" :-?
Anyways, I've played a few minutes so far - the game seems to be as entertaining as original Borderlands but I already dislike the in-game GUI for inventory and skills and such, looks like they simply changed it for the sake of "looking different", and it feels more confusing now...
And yes, it does seem to be less "forgiving" than the original game.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 am

Well I put in about 5 hours last night instead of sleeping. Which was a bad idea. But here is what I found.

1. Graphics seem better, could just be nicer areas though.
2. Driving is much more enjoyable, the old vehicles rocked back and forth and had no feeling to them. These feel much sturdier.
3. Glitches, there are quite a few spots where you can get stuck physically and would have to try all sorts of jump.crouch combos to get out of.
4. Guns, they are not nearly as fun for me as the last game. At least not yet. It is a bit harder to compare two guns and I seem to not have found any worth bragging about.
5. WAAYYYYY less loot chests. Plenty of ammo and locker. But as far as actual loot chest. It is very limited.
6. I am using Zero and I think there must be a better way to play him. I am using a pistol/melee combo and I already have melee x500 in my skill set.
His invisible feature seems ungodly weak compared to the other chars. Unless I am using it wrong.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:15 am

JohnC wrote:
...I already dislike the in-game GUI for inventory and skills and such, looks like they simply changed it for the sake of "looking different", and it feels more confusing now...

That sucks. I thought that was something they were specifically trying to approve? Was not a PC specific menu system a thing they were bragging about?

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:43 am

drfish wrote:
JohnC wrote:
...I already dislike the in-game GUI for inventory and skills and such, looks like they simply changed it for the sake of "looking different", and it feels more confusing now...

That sucks. I thought that was something they were specifically trying to approve? Was not a PC specific menu system a thing they were bragging about?

Honestly I agree. The old inventory screen was much easier for weapons organizing and such. Equiping weapons now is annoying.

superjawes

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:54 am

SpartanCaptain wrote:
6. I am using Zero and I think there must be a better way to play him. I am using a pistol/melee combo and I already have melee x500 in my skill set.
His invisible feature seems ungodly weak compared to the other chars. Unless I am using it wrong.

I'm guessing it's either part of things being more difficult this time around, or the play style you're trying won't be on par until later in the tree. Although I'm only at level 4 so far, so I don't know for sure. Maybe focus more on sniping to soften people up before they get into melee range?

And for the record, I did playthroughs as Mordecai and [The Soldier] in the first. Mordecai's special ability also seemed way weak wrt the turret.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:35 am

JohnC wrote:
Hmm... The "Premiere Club" DLC content doesn't appear to be working yet... Says "purchased", but "not downloaded" :-?

Don't they need to make it all, first? I wasn't under the impression that it was ready to go on day 1, just that you can pre-buy it for the releases coming out over the next year.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Scrotos wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Don't they need to make it all, first? I wasn't under the impression that it was ready to go on day 1, just that you can pre-buy it for the releases coming out over the next year.

There are other parts of DLC which should be working right now, like the relic and gold "starting" guns and such. Anyway, it appears they have finally fixed that and the DLC is currently showing as "installed".

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:41 pm

SpartanCaptain wrote:
drfish wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Honestly I agree. The old inventory screen was much easier for weapons organizing and such. Equiping weapons now is annoying.

Yea, I hate to use this overused description but it kinda feels more "consolized" now, at least from visual point of view...

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:01 pm

Fired it up today, it's looking pretty much as described, same formula but more, better, bigger, badasser!

I got the preorder 4 pack, still have 2 licenses available if anyone's interested...

superjawes

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:35 pm

I'll have to play with the menus, but I do feel like they are a bit better. They seem much more responsive to mouse clicks than the first, even though you still need some keys to properly equip/compare gear.

Although I wish the damn things would hold still. Moving menus is a cool effect, but they're harder to click if they keep moving around in various ways.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:00 am

Seems like they did much less bug testing than with the first game... Some quest objects which some mobs drop are dropping through walls or the ground or other inaccessible objects, and there's no "noclip" or similar console command which I can use to be able to pick them up. :(

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:22 am

superjawes wrote:
I'll have to play with the menus, but I do feel like they are a bit better. They seem much more responsive to mouse clicks than the first, even though you still need some keys to properly equip/compare gear.

Although I wish the damn things would hold still. Moving menus is a cool effect, but they're harder to click if they keep moving around in various ways.

I find disabling mouse smoothing makes the menus (and everything) feel a bit better too. There's instructions for how to do it here: http://www.fps-source.com/index.php?topic=22992.0

I'm loving the game so far, playing as Zer0. I think leor pretty much summed it up "same formula but more, better, bigger, badasser". It has that weird somewhat crazy humor that the first one had too, which is good to see. It runs really smooth on my GTX460/2500K too. I have everything maxed other than PhysX, and I never drop below 65-70FPS.

The only complaint I have is they haven't really resolved the co-op issues for trying to play with people who are a different level than you. It's either really hard for the lower level players or really easy for the higher level players. I'm not sure what they could even do to resolve that though.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

superjawes

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:55 am

travbrad wrote:
I find disabling mouse smoothing makes the menus (and everything) feel a bit better too. There's instructions for how to do it here: http://www.fps-source.com/index.php?topic=22992.0
[...]
The only complaint I have is they haven't really resolved the co-op issues for trying to play with people who are a different level than you. It's either really hard for the lower level players or really easy for the higher level players. I'm not sure what they could even do to resolve that though.

I'll have to check mouse smoothing...I thought mine defaulted off because I remember seeing it.

As for coop issues...there are ways. You could easily math out the average levels of everyone and normalize them to an average. Set mobs based on the average stats and boom. Done. I know WoW has normalized gear on people to test dungeon balance (maybe raids, too?), and they're implementing it to throttle player power in the coming challenge modes. So there are ways.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:00 am

JohnC wrote:
Seems like they did much less bug testing than with the first game... Some quest objects which some mobs drop are dropping through walls or the ground or other inaccessible objects, and there's no "noclip" or similar console command which I can use to be able to pick them up. :(

First game was a buggy mess at release too.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:34 pm

SpartanCaptain wrote:

Agreed. These menus make looking at guns a chore...in a game that has you spending a lot of time in the inventory already because of the guns.

I absolutely hate the menus in-game.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:03 pm

superjawes wrote:

there's a setting to disable the menu animations - it's very helpful!

BoilerGamer
Gerbil

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:15 am

The best thing about Borderlands 2? It made my 670 SLI $80 cheaper.
System: i7-3770K/PH-TC14PE/ 2X 4 G Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US/Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH/EVGA GTX 780/Samsung 840 Pro256GB/2X Seagate Baracuda 2TB/Seasonic Platinum 660 W /Phantom 630

superjawes

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:40 am

Finally got another chance to fire it up and Premier Club was installed. Gave me a sniper rifle to use and my life was immediately easier. Immediately replaced it at level 5, but what are you going to do?

I just found Zer0 to be too squishy for melee range, and still do when a back of bullymogs leaps onto me, but at least I can soften a lot of enemies up before they get that close, and my melee attacks can still do some decent damage (as do shotguns if I need to lay out some close quarters pain).