Cycle clock for a CPU

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Cycle clock for a CPU

Postposted on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi

I'd like to know if there's a program out there that can tell you what's your CPU cycle clock? Also if you OC your CPU does the cycle clock increase or stay the same? Thanks
lazy_boy
Gerbil

Re: Cycle clock for a CPU

Postposted on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Not sure what you mean by "cycle clock". Do you mean the core clock?

For Windows-based systems, CPU-Z will tell you that (and a lot more).
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Re: Cycle clock for a CPU

Postposted on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 pm

From what I recall of my old C2Duo, the base clock will stay the same and the multiplier changes. This holds true for my Intel Ivy Bridge processor as well. However, the way Intel Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge overclocks and the way "older" Intel and AMD processors overclock are different.

Depending on what processor you're using, you might want to check out these overclocking articles:
TR's guide to overclocking.
Overclocking the Core2 and Athlon type processors.
If you own an Intel Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge processor (only the K-Series processors are overclockable), you'll just be changing the Maximum CPU Multiplier, but the rest of the process of checking stability stays the same.

If you're new to overclocking, I would NOT recommend increasing any voltages to regain stability. This has detrimental effects on the life expectancy of processors. It's fairly easy to google an overclock for your specific processor, just make sure you're paying attention to temperatures with something like HW-Monitor or CoreTemp. For an "everyday overclock", I would back off once you get up around 65-70C while running Prime95 even if you're still stable. Feel free to ask for help here at TR. If so, make sure you provide as much info about your system as possible: motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Samsung SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Hand-Built Wood Case
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Return to General Hardware