Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Let's go make fun of people standing in line for iPhones

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Who's with me?

:lol:

I suppose I shouldn't talk because I do plan to head out sometime this weekend to see them. Not ready to buy; way too much research to do yet. But I like that white one with the silver bumper and I want to touch it... :o If the black one came with a gold bumper, I might be a goner. :roll:

So I heard that the Hoover Dam doesn't appear on iOS 6's Maps. Nice! Yeah, that thing was a nuisance anyhow, generating all that 'lectricity and having all those fighting giant robots. Blahg! :P

BIF
Topic Author

Re: Let's go make fun of people standing in line for iPhones

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:13 pm

LOL, no takers!

That's okay, it's past my bedtime anyway and I have to work tomorrow. :D

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 pm

You have to understand, you don't talk about these things on public forums; that's how you get caught :D

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:04 pm

You could drive by and say 'Apple kills Google maps'

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 pm

BIF wrote:
and I want to touch it... :o

If I'll show you mine, will you... touch it? :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 am

You could just do what Jimmy Kimmel did.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:57 am

Anyone else see the Samsung ad that makes fun of people standing in line for iPhones? Classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWGsvcFpwNY

Best part:

iPhone guy: Welcome back. Guess that Galaxy S III didn't work out.

GSIII guy: No, I love the GSIII. It's awesome. I'm just saving a spot in line for someone.

iPhone guy: That's not cool.

:lol:

Edit:
UberGerbil wrote:

That's fantastic! :lol: :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:09 am

JBI - even better is later someone who is spot saving (same guy?) is shown to be spot saving for his parents. The look on one of the iFan's face when seeing this is priceless.

The Jimmy Kimmel bit is pretty classic. The best is there are people physically comparing it to an iPhone 4S (I guess?) and they still insist it's better in the ways that the launch coverage indicated.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:02 am

I'm astounded that there are people in line. I mean, if they all upgraded to iOS 6, they should be at the bottom of the river or something.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:39 am

just brew it! wrote:
Anyone else see the Samsung ad that makes fun of people standing in line for iPhones? Classic.

What's even funnier is that ad is just a remake of an even older one.
Two of the killer features the iPhone5 claims to have are present in this old ad from the Galaxy SII launch. Big screen? Check. 4G? Check.

Apple bashing is such a great sport, because the prey are so gullible and zealous ;)
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:56 am

I think the biggest gripe I have with Apple fanbois waiting in line today is that the vast majority of them have little or no knowledge about the product they're about to buy or what makes it different from the 4S. They're just buying the iPhone 5 because it's the newest toy. That kind of blind fidelity is what makes me detest Apple products, even though I respect/commend Apple for how they have advanced the tech market. They're really pulling everybody along in striving for better build quality, user experience, and better screens.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:22 am

What I'm trying to figure out is, why aren't these people at work? Did they all take vacation days or are they mostly college students or what? Who has time to stand in line?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:29 am

I'm sure it's mostly folks taking PTO. I hope.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:31 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
What I'm trying to figure out is, why aren't these people at work? Did they all take vacation days or are they mostly college students or what? Who has time to stand in line?

There was an article on CNN yesterday about this. The answer: You hire someone who doesn't have a full-time job to stand in line for you. Going rate is apparently $50 to $150.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:36 am

150 a day is more than I make...****.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:15 pm

trackerben

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Make fun of people who are so interested in the latest stuff that they will line up for it? Is lining up for something new, highly-regarded, and scarce a lowly behavior to be treated with mocking contempt? Isn't encouraging consumption in these dismal economic times a Good Thing? Is this what tech sites are about these days?
Last edited by trackerben on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:23 pm

trackerben wrote:
Is lining up for something new,

It's an over-priced incremental improvement over its predecessor (which was also over-priced), produced by a company that has demonstrated recently that they'd rather compete in the courtroom than the marketplace.

trackerben wrote:
highly-regarded,

By some, not by all.

trackerben wrote:
and scarce

They can make more. It's not like the ones available on launch day are the only ones that will ever exist.

trackerben wrote:
a lowly behavior to be treated with mocking contempt?

I wouldn't say "lowly". More like "silly". And I wouldn't say "contempt" either. More like "amusement". OK, maybe a little contempt too. :wink:

trackerben wrote:
Isn't encouraging consumption in these dismal economic times a Good Thing? Is this what tech sites are about these days?

I've got no problem with getting excited about new tech. I just don't understand why people would be willing to stand in line for hours to get it. Is having it a few days sooner going to make your life so much better that it is worth sacrificing a day, or paying someone else $150 to stand in line for you?

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:01 pm

If by 'make life better' you mean 'have other people fawn over your mass produced consumer item to get an ego stroke' then yeah.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:20 pm

trackerben wrote:
Male fun of people who are so interested in the latest stuff that they will line upfor it? Is lining up for something new, highly-regarded, and scarce a lowly behavior to be treated with mocking contempt? Isn't encouraging consumption in these dismal economic times a Good Thing? Is this what tech sites are about these days?

Just ignore them and let these jealous people boil in their own hatred :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:42 pm

JohnC wrote:
trackerben wrote:
Male fun of people who are so interested in the latest stuff that they will line upfor it? Is lining up for something new, highly-regarded, and scarce a lowly behavior to be treated with mocking contempt? Isn't encouraging consumption in these dismal economic times a Good Thing? Is this what tech sites are about these days?

Just ignore them and let these jealous people boil in their own hatred :wink:

woo, proved my point!

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Best thing ever, I was at the Verizon store on Saturday, they had the iPhone5 in stock, nobody was waiting in line, you could just stroll right in and get one. THAT is what's wrong with the people standing in lines. You can't wait ONE DAY??

By the way, does anybody know what the people waiting in line at the Apple store have to pay for the iPhone5? I assume most of them are not signing a new contract since those typically last 2 years and they just bought their 4S last year.
Last edited by DPete27 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:22 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Best thing ever, I was at the Verizon store on Saturday, they had the iPhone5 in stock, nobody was waiting in line, you could just stroll right in and get one. THAT is what's wrong with the people standing in lines. You can't wait ONE DAY??

++

I did kind of dig the Samsung commercial I saw today with the guys waiting for the iPhone.

"I heard they changed the dock connector so you need an adapter"
"Yeah but they make such cool adapters"
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:30 pm

DPete27 wrote:

But... but... WHAT IF THEY SELL OUT? I might have to wait ALL THE WAY UNTIL NEXT WEEK for them to get another shipment in!

Corrado

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Edit:
UberGerbil wrote:

That's fantastic! :lol: :lol:

But if you showed people a GS3 and said 'This is the new GS4' people would do the exact same thing. Plus, how many people did they have to ask to get the reactions they did? Hundreds? Thousands?

Honestly, the whole 'making fun of people lining up' smells of jealousy on the part of Samsung. Whens the last time anyone wanted a Samsung phone so bad they waited in line just to get it first thing in the morning? Samsung's phones are nice, no doubt, but how is it any different really from a One X, or a Razr HD, or an Optimus 4X HD? The hardware is all the same, the software is all the same.

That said, I had a WinMo 7.5 phone, and currently have a Android phone.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:46 pm

These Apple product launches remind me of when Windows 95 came out. There were people camped out overnight in front of Best Buy and CompUSA. I thought it was ridiculous then, and I still do.

entropy13
Gerbil

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:52 pm

Corrado wrote:
But if you showed people a GS3 and said 'This is the new GS4' people would do the exact same thing.

No, people wouldn't do the exact same thing because it's not as "cool" as an Apple product.

Corrado wrote:
Plus, how many people did they have to ask to get the reactions they did? Hundreds? Thousands?

Most likely twenty. They don't ask people that many.

Corrado wrote:
Honestly, the whole 'making fun of people lining up' smells of jealousy on the part of Samsung.

Jealousy? Well, probably, because for one thing Samsung can't price their phones at the very same pricepoint even though they make better phones, as there is no such thing as a "Samsung tax" and only a "tithe for the Holy Apple".

Corrado wrote:
Whens the last time anyone wanted a Samsung phone so bad they waited in line just to get it first thing in the morning?

Why would a perfectly reasonable, rational, good in fiscal management, Samsung customer follow the example of someone wasting resources (money and/or time) to queue?

Corrado wrote:
Samsung's phones are nice, no doubt, but how is it any different really from a One X, or a Razr HD, or an Optimus 4X HD? The hardware is all the same, the software is all the same.

LOL all those reviews are wrong then. Pop to techradar for example, and you'll see that all of their reviews are wrong because the One X and GSIII, etc. are all the same, unlike what their reviews say.
P67A-GD65 (B3), i7, GTX 570 (GT 630 temp. card), 8GB RAM, 1TB + 500GB, FSP 700W PSU

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:24 pm

entropy13 wrote:
even though they make better phones

:D
You people [insert random "what do you mean, "you people"? joke here] never cease to amuse me :wink:

End User

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:17 am

BIF wrote:
So I heard that the Hoover Dam doesn't appear on iOS 6's Maps.

You heard wrong.

End User

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:19 am

BIF wrote:
I suppose I shouldn't talk

Yes