Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

michael_d
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

AMD Next Generation Radeons

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 pm

I found some interesting articles about the upcoming Radeon graphics, some of it maybe speculative. However, AMD's acquisition of ATI may finally pay off when they release high performance heterogeneous CPU+GPU architecture.

Xbitlabs: Code names and features of next generation Radeons
VR-Zone:Code names and features of next generation Radeons

ptsant
Gerbil XP

Re: AMD Next Generation Radeons

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:36 am

michael_d wrote:
I found some interesting articles about the upcoming Radeon graphics, some of it maybe speculative. However, AMD's acquisition of ATI may finally pay off when they release high performance heterogeneous CPU+GPU architecture.

I think AMD has some excellent ideas. Execution is always the problem. If they finally deliver, they will have some truly revolutionary offerings (seamless GPU compute will be really cool in my opinion). The 8xxx Radeons should be quite good. We'll see...

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:15 am

ptsant wrote:
michael_d wrote:

I think AMD has some excellent ideas. Execution is always the problem. If they finally deliver, they will have some truly revolutionary offerings (seamless GPU compute will be really cool in my opinion). The 8xxx Radeons should be quite good. We'll see...

I have no idea what I'm going to do when we get to the 8xxx Radeons. First serious card I got after my ATI Voodoo5 64 was an ATI Radeon 8500 128. There should be some sort of rule about model numbers looping around.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

ptsant
Gerbil XP

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:37 am

TheEmrys wrote:
I have no idea what I'm going to do when we get to the 8xxx Radeons. First serious card I got after my ATI Voodoo5 64 was an ATI Radeon 8500 128. There should be some sort of rule about model numbers looping around.

Yeah, well they did add the HD in front, so technically it's a Radeon HD ;-) My first Radeon was a 9800 Pro, top card at the time, but my first serious 3d card was a Rendition Verite V2100 from Diamond (1997) which would run accelerated vquake and that I overclocked massively from 40 to 60MHz by adding a heatsink on the chip. I'm not counting various iterations of "S3 Virge" before that, which never really ran 3d games. Fun times...

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:08 am

The leak was probably intentional...damage control from marketing depatmnet no doubt, after the news of high ranking AMD Managers leaving the company. Nonetheless, the info seems interesting but what bothers me is that only AMD CPUs will benefit from the shared resources, thus it will fall again on AMD's CPUs to ensure sucess or failure for the new platform (at least in the home user market).
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:10 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
First serious card I got after my ATI Voodoo5 64 was...
3Dfx Voodoo5 5500. SLI-on-a-stick.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2