Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Duck
Gerbil
Topic Author

folding@home v7.1.52 setup check

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:52 pm

I'm tring to switch to v7 of the client. It's pretty tricky to set up. More so than v6. This is what I've come up with for my config.xml...

<config>
  <!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='----'/>
  <team v='2630'/>
  <user v='Duck'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='0' type='SMP'>
    <checkpoint v='15'/>
    <client-type v='bigadv'/>
    <core-priority v='idle'/>
    <cpus v='-1'/>
    <max-packet-size v='big'/>
    <max-units v='0'/>
    <next-unit-percentage v='99'/>
    <pause-on-start v='false'/>
  </slot>
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'>
    <checkpoint v='15'/>
    <client-type v='advanced'/>
    <core-priority v='idle'/>
    <max-packet-size v='big'/>
    <max-units v='0'/>
    <next-unit-percentage v='99'/>
    <pause-on-start v='false'/>
  </slot>
</config>

If someone could give it a quick check and pass judgement? Thanks.

Here's what the client files looks like at the moment too...

I'm going to delete themes, FAHControl.exe, FAHViewer.exe. That will free up ~24MB alone. Do you know anything else that can be deleted?

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Re: folding@home v7.1.52 setup check

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:26 pm

I wouldn't delete FAHControl.exe

The interface allows you considerable control and ease of changing the configuration.

Do you really need the space that badly?

Duck
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:27 pm

I never needed it before with the v6 console client. There is a myriad of tabs, boxes, controls and settings... just to change a handful of settings that can be configured by editing the config xml file? Unless I am missing something, I don't see the value in it.

mdk77777 wrote:
Do you really need the space that badly?

Yup. It all adds up ;)

I guess my config.xml looks good then?

So you can start/stop folding by running/closing FAHClient.exe. Is there some command or method people have for starting/stopping just the GPU folding or just the CPU folding?

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:50 am

Is there some command or method people have for starting/stopping just the GPU folding or just the CPU folding?

yeah, it is rolled into FAHControl.exe :wink: Very easy to use. Push button to pause, push button to start(independent control of all CPU and GPU clients) . :lol:

You can try running without, but I really don't know if it is possible.(making any changes on the fly once FAHControl.exe is launched without using control.) There is talk on the forums about the possibility of a command consul version, but it doesn't currently exist.

V7 is not your fathers v6 Oldsmobile.... :wink:

Duck
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:40 am

mdk77777 wrote:
yeah, it is rolled into FAHControl.exe :wink: Very easy to use. Push button to pause, push button to start(independent control of all CPU and GPU clients) . :lol:

But I have to start FAHClient.exe first and then run FAHControl.exe for it to work (looks like it 'connects' to it). So the old way in the v6 console client, you can just start/stop the process with a command, shortcut, close the program, however you like, to start/stop folding... but the new way in the v7 client, you start FAHClient.exe, double click FAHControl.exe to run it, click something else to select the one you want to stop, click pause/stop/whatever, click the cross to close the program, right click the tray icon, and then click again to close the program??? That's not easy, that's worse.

Just restart FAHClient.exe after editing the config.xml. Pretty sure there's going to be no issues whatsoever. Once it's set up you probably won't have to edit the config until there is a hardware change anyway.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:54 pm

OK, whatever floats your boat.

I was describing a situation where you wanted to turn folding on and off...say you leave it on..but want to play a game for a few hours.
The ease of use is predicated on the FAHcontrol simply staying on all the time...not loading and then shutting down.

Alternately, if you just want a set it and leave it configuration...you can make your settings and simply shut down Fahcontrol.

You are making a simple thing complex for no benefit. Even if you are booting off a USB, 16 GB is cheap as sh^%. As is ddr3 memory... there is no reason to try and save this much storage space.

As I mentioned, you won't get any positive feed back at the forums because editing the config files is not recommended....they built a control program to do that for you... :wink:

But like I said, go for it. :)

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:08 pm

I am getting old but my patience is decreasing. And I don't like change. How can they go from a somewhat simple setup with v6 and now it becomes so convoluted? Sure, if on first setup it is good then you can just run with it. Good for newbies. But once I want to tune some stuff, or if the setup does not work the first time, I am just losing it with the myriad of tabs and too much "3D ness" of the GTK+ UI. The command line options seem to be a lot more elaborate but within the confines of --help this is not enough. Is there a web page out there that explains this in a bit more detail? Sample command lines?

They really need to address the command line syntax and then release a new "no nonsense" command-only package. I bet there are dozens of frontend devs out there that can do a much better job than those Cauldron guys with this v7 GUI. From what I have seen so far it got even worse than the early betas. They need to address this fast before they force this down everyone's throat when A3 WUs run out.

(Not to mention that apparently I need to work some magic in GPU.txt before my new shiny 660 can get WUs, meaning I am losing a day of potential Frankie folding time to read up on this ****.)

Right now this is with all sorts of nonsense. :o

/rant :evil: :x
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Not to mention that apparently I need to work some magic in GPU.txt before my new shiny 660 can get WUs

Don't kill yourself. Keepler is not supported yet.
Don't feel bad, my AMD 7970 series card from January isn't supported yet either.

I've pointed out in the forums that their insane lack of user/customer support is the primary reason they have lost users for the last 3 years.

It looks like AMD might have another series out (8xxx) before they support the previous. Ludicrous delays...

A great deal of the "fun" of FOLDING was getting your top end equipment utilized fully...pushing the cutting edge.

Now they just seem to be content coasting...and it show in the drop in participation. :wink: