Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Tiger guy "not crazy"?!??

Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:35 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/23/us/new-yo ... ?hpt=hp_t3

How can you intentionally take a flying leap from a tram into a tiger enclosure, and not be considered "crazy"?

He says he wanted to "become one with" the tiger. Sounds like he came pretty close, if you consider "being killed and eaten by" to be a synonym for "becoming one with".
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: Tiger guy "not crazy"?!??

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm reminded of a moment in the game "Saints Row: The Third" where a luchadore wrestler voiced by Hulk Hogan instructs you to master your fear. This mastering of fear involved driving around the city dodging animal rights activists while a Tiger sits in the backseat. Your coop partner must keep the beast calm while you drive to evade the activists, whom make the kitty very cross. Cross enough to take its displeasure out on you. Who knew driving was hard while a Tiger is clawing you?
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:25 pm

I think people often define insanity as extreme stupidity, but this isn't really the case. The tiger guy could be entirely sane, but simply have access to incorrect information that caused him to believe that zoo tigers aren't that dangerous and that the fences at zoos are just to keep the animals out and not to keep people out.

Realistically, the guy is probably a little messed up in the head, but it isn't necessarily the case that people that do weird things are always crazy.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:11 pm

He would've also had to believe that jumping from a moving vehicle 17 feet above the ground was a safe thing to do...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:38 pm

There is no such thing as "being one with" by getting your dumb@ss eaten! :D

Quick: What's worse than getting eaten by a tiger?

Answer: Being shat out by a tiger! But at least by then you won't know it!

Okay, so much for the jokes. Seriously now. I think we throw around words like "crazy" and "insane" too willy-nilly, like when describing acts of normal everyday stupidity.

I find myself rooting for the bull when I see the running of the bulls in Pamplona. I might have rooted for the tiger too, except that if the tiger had killed the dumbsh1t, it would be the tiger that they put down. Like the bulls who are already marked for death.

So if you run with the bulls or if you jump into a tiger's pit, are you actually insane? Crazy? Or just plain stupid? Maybe it's just splitting hairs when it comes to the guy who now has gaping holes in his colon or liver where the bull punched him like an old leather belt.

If you run with the bulls or jump into a tiger's den, your reward (beyond the predictable and soulless YouTube notoriety) just might be that you'll never sh1t right again, or that now with your newfound paralysis, you might never be able to procreate or just clean yourself again. Is your wife going to do that for you for the rest of your life? Or your mother? THAT is the part that should be portrayed more often. Sort of like "Part B" to the YouTube video.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:22 am

just brew it! wrote:
He says he wanted to "become one with" the tiger. Sounds like he came pretty close, if you consider "being killed and eaten by" to be a synonym for "becoming one with".

It depends on his belief system. I know there are cannibals believe if you eat someone you absorb their attributes and power, and I think there are some others belief systems that take it further to encompass everything. It might have been something that I picked up in passing.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:43 pm

There's a difference between being intelligent/sane, and having enough sense to come in out of the cold. I think we know which one this guy is missing.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
He would've also had to believe that jumping from a moving vehicle 17 feet above the ground was a safe thing to do...

You mean the real world isn't a Die Hard movie?? Damn, I got conned.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:29 pm

that's OK. I figure if this isn't a Die Hard movie I have a much reduced chance of dying in an explosion.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:40 pm

Best Christmas movie ever made.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen