Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

2centz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Running cores at different speeds (AMD 1090T)

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:45 pm

I have a Sabertooth 990FX motherboard and AMD Phenom II X6 1090T CPU, and for the life of me, I can't get cores to run at different speeds based on load. They seem run in lock-step - can anyone tell me how to decouple core speeds?

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Re: Running cores at different speeds (AMD 1090T)

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:36 pm

Bios Settings? default? cool and quite enabled by default?

If you OC incorrectly, (or intentionally want to run all out all the time) you will get what you describe.
default setting in BIOS should not cause this.

Do you have AMD over-drive installed?

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/ ... rview.aspx

It is an excellent monitoring program that will tell you if the cores are actually ramp up and down independently.

Turbo core control selected on all cores?

spiked_mistborn
Gerbil

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:15 pm

Silly question, but did you check the min and max cpu speed in your active power profile to make sure min is not 100%? Also, what program are you using to check individual core speeds? Maybe try something like tmonitor to see what that shows if you haven't already.

2centz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:22 pm

mdk77777 wrote:
Bios Settings? default? cool and quite enabled by default?

If you OC incorrectly, (or intentionally want to run all out all the time) you will get what you describe.
default setting in BIOS should not cause this.

Do you have AMD over-drive installed?

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/ ... rview.aspx

It is an excellent monitoring program that will tell you if the cores are actually ramp up and down independently.

Turbo core control selected on all cores?

As you can see, I'm a newbie with respect to OC'ing. :)
The cores throttle up and down so I think I'm okay there. I'm using Core Temp right now, so can see the speed and load.

2centz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:25 pm

spiked_mistborn wrote:
Silly question, but did you check the min and max cpu speed in your active power profile to make sure min is not 100%? Also, what program are you using to check individual core speeds? Maybe try something like tmonitor to see what that shows if you haven't already.

Hmm, I've only done settings in BIOS and not in software profiles. Do you think this is causing the issue? Like I noted above, I'm using Core Temp, and I get speeds that range from ~800 MHz to 4.0 GHz. Crazy thing is that I used to have cores that were independent from each other, but unfortunately I had to reset BIOS and do a clean install of Windows on my SSD after a firmware upgrade.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:13 pm

but unfortunately I had to reset BIOS and do a clean install of Windows on my SSD after a firmware upgrade.

re-installed the mb drivers?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/w ... ows.aspx#2

Then try that AOD program...it will tell you if everything is set correctly.

2centz
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:38 am

mdk77777 wrote:
but unfortunately I had to reset BIOS and do a clean install of Windows on my SSD after a firmware upgrade.

Thanks all. I reinstalled AOD, and looking at the Clock/Voltage, the cores do seem to be operating independently. Guess Core Temp isn't the greatest to assess this?

So is their a guide on how to use AOD properly? Also, do folks recommend making changes in BIOS rather than through software profiles?

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:27 pm

just google

amd 1090t oc settings

you will find a bunch of threads on OC sites describing their BIOS settings in great detail. Too much to go into here.

Basically, you have an unlocked CPU, so you can simply increase the multiplier.
Depending on your memory, you will need to set that in BIOS.

Voltage might need to bump up some on cpu, but don't go crazy...6 cores and limited top end of HT link, 2200..2400 means that 4 GHZ is about all you are going to get easily...no matter how much voltage you throw at it.

I'm still running my old 1055T. :wink:

shodanshok
Gerbil

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:10 am

2centz wrote:
mdk77777 wrote:

Thanks all. I reinstalled AOD, and looking at the Clock/Voltage, the cores do seem to be operating independently. Guess Core Temp isn't the greatest to assess this?

So is their a guide on how to use AOD properly? Also, do folks recommend making changes in BIOS rather than through software profiles?

Hi,
be aware that running the four cores at highly different voltage/frequency can have negative impact on system performances, as newly spawned or "dancing" threads have to wake up a low-clock core and wait for it to scale to higher frequency.

This is the very reason why with PII AMD decided to not allow, by default, this kind of power-saving mode: on older Phenom I, sometime performances were halved. With PII X6 the situations is a little different: Turbo Core 1.0 allow some core to go higher then other, but the "idling" core are not driven to lowerst frequency as with Phenom I.

On the other hand, Windows 7 and its "core parking" feature should get rid of the worst latency problems by default.

In short: run some real world benchmark before finalizing your everyday frequencies!

Regards.
www.ilsistemista.net - test & bench :)