Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Thresher

moonwalk
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

mobo compatible

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:12 am

i have a asus mobo p4s533x it supports AGP 4x 1.5v video card
im planning change the video card that in using change it to geforce 6600
my question is does my mobo support the video card?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: mobo compatible

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:39 am

Umm... that's an 8 year old video card and a 9 year old motherboard. I suppose if you can find an AGP version of the 6600 it ought to work, but you'll probably need to look for a used one on eBay since they were discontinued years ago.

You'd be much better off replacing the motherboard, RAM, and CPU. Even the integrated graphics on a modern motherboard should be as good as an 8 year old discrete card, and system performance won't be hobbled by decade-old CPU tech.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:10 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Umm... that's an 8 year old video card and a 9 year old motherboard. I suppose if you can find an AGP version of the 6600 it ought to work, but you'll probably need to look for a used one on eBay since they were discontinued years ago.

You'd be much better off replacing the motherboard, RAM, and CPU. Even the integrated graphics on a modern motherboard should be as good as an 8 year old discrete card, and system performance won't be hobbled by decade-old CPU tech.

Not to mention that's probably cheaper than finding dusty tech on eBay. RAM is dirt cheap these days and I wouldn't be surprised if even a cheap mobo's onboard graphics are somewhat better than the old cards. The current/old mobo is only AGP 4x, not even 8x.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:25 pm

The posters IP comes from an emerging market. Meaning it's possible that old tech is the best they can do.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

mnecaise
Gerbil First Class

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:33 pm

I can't speak to that specific combination from personal experience. The Geforce 6600 was an AGP 8x card. It should negotiate with the motherboard to work at the fastest speed for the pair -- 4x -- and there's no reason to believe it won't work. If have some difficulty finding AGP cards, 32-bit PCI cards will probably work just as well; although the bus data transfer perfomance is a bit lower. Generally, with desktop motherboards, once you have a card with the correct bus, compatibility tends to be more about OS and driver availability.

just brew it! wrote:

Old technology is still available, new (or new old stock), on Newegg. Unfortuantely I've had to go there a few too many times to bring an old system back to life.

moonwalk
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:01 am

thanks a bunch guys

im still saving to buy a new CPU, parts here are quite expensive (back water county)

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:13 am

The key question here is AGP version support. From what I can find, the GF 6 series is AGP 4x/1.5V so such a card should work fine in moonwalk's PC.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:00 am

Even an 8x card should be backward compatible.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.