Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

Intelwomen
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

How to overclock my intel i3 3.1 GHz processor?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:40 am

Hello friends,
I want to overclock my Intel LGA 2100 i3 processor .technical specs are : ***spam link redacted*** ,It has a clock speed of 3.1 GHz ,and i want to overclock it till 3.5 GHz but i dont know the proper procedure to do it,Hence, i need clear procedure to overclock my Intel i3 processor ,and i'm a gamer and i want to use this processing capability in my pc games.and along with that i want to know what are the risk of overclocking,
please reply!!!
Last edited by Flying Fox on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam post, link removed, leaving the somewhat useful question around

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: How to overclock my intel i3 3.1 GHz processor?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:45 am

The i3 has a locked multiplier, and the bus that it rides has very limited flexibility. In short, you don't get to overclock an i3. Believe me, I have a 2100 and I've tried.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:50 am

Unfortunately, the i3 2xxx CPUs cannot be overclocked by any appreciable amount. For the LGA1155 socket CPUs, only those with Turboboost can be overclocked by a useful amount.

(Technically - you can increase the BCLK or 'bus speed' by a few MHZ, every 1MHZ increase will give a CPU speed increase of 31MHz, but most of the time BCLK can only be increased by 3-5MHz at the most with 5MHz being unlikely. This would give 93-153 MHZ additional CPU speed, that's about 3-5% CPU speed increase which really wouldn't make a difference for most uses.)

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:55 am

Well, I've got bad news and good news:
Bad news (as stated by derFunkenstein): Intel Sandy Bridge processors are overclocked by increasing the CPU multiplier. Because of this, there are processors with a "K" suffix that indicate an unlocked multiplier (aka, they can be overclocked). You have to get into the i5 family before you get processors like the i5-2500K that are overclockable. Moral of the story, you're not going to get any kind of significant overclock from your i3-2100.

Good news: Intel Sandy Bridge processors run circles around the competition. Even your i3 can outgame AMDs Phenom and FX procesors. Here's another example. Enjoy your i3, it's a very solid performer.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:43 am

Frankly i think Intel imposed this artificial lock on their CPUs to prevent AMD from going bankrupt. I mean, if i could overclock a low end i3 or entry level i5 i'd ditch my AMD system in heart beat. The reason why i don't have a "K" series CPU right now is ofc because the lowest priced one is too expensive for my budget (like it was for you as well when you built/bought your machine).

Edit.

Wait a minute, your nickname is Intelwomen and this is your first post? I smell trolling
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:24 am

Arclight wrote:
Wait a minute, your nickname is Intelwomen and this is your first post? I smell trolling

You are correct, +10xp in spam detection. ;)

I have removed the link spam and leaving the question intact. The spammer will be banned by the higher-ups. You may continue discussing the how, why, and impact on overclocking an i3 3.1GHz here.

/mod
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.