Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Diablo III

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
superjawes wrote:
A "." when used in mathematics is a decimal point, meaning that .000 = 0. For that reason, we either express "two thousand" as 2,000 or 2000 so that 2.000 is not confused with 2. :wink:

Actually, the amount of digits (0's included) past the decimal point indicate the level of significant figures (sig. fig.) in the equation. Generally that number is based on the level of measurably inherent in the tool(s) used for measuring the figure. That said, I do not know why that level of sig. fig. was used in this example, but .000 does not equal 0. .000 equals an amount measured to the nearest thousandth by something capable of measuring coders to that level of magnitude. Honestly it's silly. 0.001 coders couldn't do shit.
:lol: I was making that point.

Even at the extremes, humans are (generally) discrete objects, so 2.4 coders will not do you any more good than 2.0, and although 2.000 is more precisely two coders, the significance past the "2" doesn't change that. Although it could be an interesting problem if we go the other way and are trying to compare 1.5 coders with 1.9995 coders...
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

thill9
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Where's flip-mode? Maybe he can get this topic back on point.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:23 pm

I haven't played D in weeks. This one didn't quite take over my life like D2 did.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 am

Nope, too shallow, too grindy.

I haven't finished Inferno yet, I didn't find the grinding for gear any fun. I'm at 50K HP, 75K dps, 750 resists on my wizard and could probably Kill diablo if I had a friend or two to bolster me through the tedium.

I actually think the Auction House ruined the game for me. Having one in the game at all basically allowed/forced Blizzard to reduce drop rates to the point where grinding for gear was an excercise in patience and maximising time played, rather than fun.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:21 am

I'm puttering along, 52 wizard, 40 barb, 37 monk and DH. I may be able to finish Hell on at least one of them :P

allreadydead
Gerbil

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:41 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Wow, the non-American is illiterate. I clearly said "I like to pretend you're American" because I knew exactly what he meant. I didn't say "I think" or "You're a dumb American" I said "I like to pretend". How dumb do you have to be?

Apparently, I'm not smart enough to ignore dull, insulting comments like yours. Dont worry, wont happen again.

And about digits after dots and commas, it's "royal" standards vs metrics We are using. 2.000,99 is correct where I live and Wikipedia says so too.

About D3, I doubt AH code is that simple. Ok, it must be simpler than the game's code but if it's that "1 guy 2 hours work" simple, well, not being able to fix it completely in a month with tens of updates is a fail too.
Anyways, I stopped playing it completely a good while ago. And recently, I stopped my routine of putting items to RMAH too. I plan to play it again when they launch PvP.
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

superjawes

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:18 pm

allreadydead wrote:
And about digits after dots and commas, it's "royal" standards vs metrics We are using. 2.000,99 is correct where I live and Wikipedia says so too.
Well I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this is an English speaking forum with US and UK users, so the vast majority of readers will use a period as the decimal point, as also noted by Wikipedia.

About D3, I doubt AH code is that simple. Ok, it must be simpler than the game's code but if it's that "1 guy 2 hours work" simple, well, not being able to fix it completely in a month with tens of updates is a fail too.
I wasn't trying to quantify exactly how difficult the code is, but rather significantly less complicated than the game code, making it easier/faster to fix or adjust. And even if a single coder can fix a bug in 2 hours, he will still have more bugs piling up, and a fix might cause something completely different to go wrong, and then he has to fix the new bug while not reverting back the original change. It's a continuous process.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

allreadydead
Gerbil

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:35 am

superjawes wrote:
allreadydead wrote:
Well I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this is an English speaking forum with US and UK users, so the vast majority of readers will use a period as the decimal point, as also noted by Wikipedia.

:) Well, english is spoken all across europe, asia and Africa. Metrics is the wider spread standard (although, some variations exists as said in wikipedia) just like English being used globally for international communications. For USA, SI&English Language are one thing but for an international, non-native english speaker, SI standards and English are not one whole thing. We use the language with our metrics habits.
This is the forum section of an America based website but I doubt UK users are in 2nd place. I think TR have quite an audience all across europe because there are many european sites referring TR in their news. Maybe a survey can be done in back porch ?

I wasn't trying to quantify exactly how difficult the code is, but rather significantly less complicated than the game code, making it easier/faster to fix or adjust. And even if a single coder can fix a bug in 2 hours, he will still have more bugs piling up, and a fix might cause something completely different to go wrong, and then he has to fix the new bug while not reverting back the original change. It's a continuous process.

I agree on AH code should be less complex than Games code. But things like blog post references, reaction times on forum posts about AH and the fixes are implying they are more serious about AH.
For example, in beta stage, after ppl started whining about beating beta blindfolded and still too easy, devs were all defensive and gave speeches about how we gonna die in inferno. They were confident about game and took critiques as jokes. After release, that self confidence melted and they changed almost everything about Inferno. We criticized legendaries being a joke and their first reaction was "we know better". Now, they are revamping legendaries to match or be superior than their randomly generated rares...
D3 dev team is like a blind biker going down hill at full speed without brakes. They are giving me the impression that they have no grasp over the game and will follow ANY advice without questioning..
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:14 pm

Alright, thoughts on the newish paragon system?

I've completed act I on inferno, am only 60+9 paragon, but act II is killing me.

Also, what does the star & demon skull next to a players' name mean?

Are you guys still playing? How high? What's working well for DH's?
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Buzzard44
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm 60 + 8. I quit around lvl 40 or so until 1.0.4 came out. What worked best for me is that my battle.net account was hacked right when I hit level 60, and the culprits spent about 3 million gold on better gear for my character. They then botted my character and had it run around and gold farm in act 2 hell. Luckily I got it back a couple days later when I realized it, and I had 5 paragon levels and better gear.

The thing I hate about D3 is that as little as a few million gold in the auction house will net you more than you are likely to find in quite a bit of farming. I've gone all the way through Diablo in inferno, and have gotten no great drops, and few drops even worthy enough to use. My gear is very mediocre, but high end gear drops so super seldom that you are never likely to see it.

The prevalence of bots and the emphasis on the auction house is killing me. I hate the auction house. It takes all the fun out of the game. And even then it's not fair trading, because bots cause ridiculous amounts of inflation, which makes gold you actually played for worthless. <mumbles> I just want to trade pgems and runes again...

Tactics that work best for me (I'm a wizard) - pump life, pump damage, and kite kite kite. I've got 56k life, 28k dps, and 6900 armor with energy shield. If you compare to most people, this is a very safety/survival heavy build.
Core i7-990X, 12 GB DDR3, 500GB BX100 SSD, 2x GTX 590s, 5x 2TB WD Greens, 1x 4TB WD Black

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:48 am

I got to 60 and just couldn't face paragon levels. Besides, MoP came out for WoW. I am not sure I would go back without an expansion. Same reasons above, can't find or make any decent gear at all, and you have to farm gold for a LONG time to progress. It's obvious they wanted to see how much real cash they could get people to drop in the RMAH.

PixelArmy
Gerbil

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:44 am

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
Alright, thoughts on the newish paragon system?

I've completed act I on inferno, am only 60+9 paragon, but act II is killing me.

Also, what does the star & demon skull next to a players' name mean?

Are you guys still playing? How high? What's working well for DH's?

They are just icons corresponding to higher paragon levels. Sort of a prestige thing.

I'm a 60+8 Wizard, critical mass, diamond skin "melee" build. I can solo through siege breaker on inferno (barely), then need to party to get through the rest of inferno. I'm fairly confident I can solo Azmodan and Diablo (getting to them is the problem).

Buzzard44 wrote:
The prevalence of bots and the emphasis on the auction house is killing me. I hate the auction house. It takes all the fun out of the game. And even then it's not fair trading, because bots cause ridiculous amounts of inflation, which makes gold you actually played for worthless. <mumbles> I just want to trade pgems and runes again...

Do the bots farm just gold or items too?

Gold inflation IMO is kept in check by level 60 repair costs. I'm not sure this is quite the opposite of what you're experiencing, but I've found some great items at a discount in the AH (how I spec'd my wizard for inferno), I think cause as time goes on, more good comparable items are found, also keeping prices lower... Uber stuff is really expensive, but one tier down and you get some steep discounts. At least my friends treat item value like, "oh it's missing that one stat, worthless!!!", maybe, but I'll still take it for cheap and make up for the deficiency elsewhere. I guess gems might be crazy (I haven't done the math on making your own vs buying, then again I couldn't afford to anyways)

On the flip side, it sometimes makes selling stuff difficult...

*EDIT* - Clarity - "siege breaker (hard)" to "siege breaker on inferno (barely)", I didn't mean "hard" as the game difficulty level but rather I can do it solo on inferno but it is close.
Last edited by PixelArmy on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 am

I'm with you, Pixel Army. I don't have uber-statified equipment but I have *good enough* stats on my stuff.

Paragon levels have helped mitigate the need (for me at least) to find stuff with perfect stats. I no longer look for MF/GF gear at all. As I gain paragon levels, it'll increase naturally and I can look for other stuff and I'm not spending tons of money. Who cares if it doesn't have +97% crit damage AND +10% crit chance. I'll take one on one sword and the other on my axe. I don't think I've spent more than 75-80k on any one item.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

thecoldanddarkone

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:29 am

I don't have uber gear but I do have good gear. Good enough to solo act 4 only dieing 2-3 times in inferno on my dh. My barb is still a work in progress. I'm not sure If I'm gonna go ik or not. As for crit damage it can deffinitely be overrated. Right now though my barb is one handed with a crit storm.

As for my gold usage well, it's much much higher lol.

As for higher lvl gems it's cheaper to buy them off ah. Much Much cheaper in some cases, http://diablo-3-gem-calculator.com/ use this.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

thecoldanddarkone

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:42 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I'm with you, Pixel Army. I don't have uber-statified equipment but I have *good enough* stats on my stuff.

Paragon levels have helped mitigate the need (for me at least) to find stuff with perfect stats. I no longer look for MF/GF gear at all. As I gain paragon levels, it'll increase naturally and I can look for other stuff and I'm not spending tons of money. Who cares if it doesn't have +97% crit damage AND +10% crit chance. I'll take one on one sword and the other on my axe. I don't think I've spent more than 75-80k on any one item.

As a guy who regularly spends 1-10 mil on an item I feel ashamed lol.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:17 am

Wizzy, para 30 or something, quit playing for Torchlight 2 (and other stuff I had neglected). With about 400hrs in game, and the vast majority of it that I would consider "unfun", I'm not exactly enthralled by the 1.0.5 plans.

I've said this in other places but I really feel they purposely released an unfinished game, and had all along planned to add features in a stepwise manner (just like they do in wow expansions), negating old progress / gear. This allows for several spikes in RMAH activity and possibly box sales, but (yet again) screws over the early adopter and "was expecting a worthy sequel to D2" players. Instead of making a deep and meaningful itemization / progression system, they made a purposely stunted and shallow one that relies on a "+1" chase every few months.

This game is not Diablo, and I will not be buying the expansion or sequel, regardless of how many empty promises they intend on fulfilling.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:33 am

Have you gone back and installed D2? I don't see it as that different when it comes to grinding, that might be why D3 doesn't have the lasting appeal.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:57 am

I have no idea what happened. I bought the retail game, installed it. It patched. I played through Act 1. I noticed that there was an icon asking me to "upgrade" on the start screen, but I paid it no mind. Well, after killing the Skeleton King, I got a big notice to upgrade. WTF? So, I log onto battle.net and apparently it thinks I have the starter edition? So, I enter my DVD key into battle.net and it now says I have the Diablo III standard edition. But, when I go back into the game, Act 1 is the only option.

I'm kinda pissed. Apparently I have to wait up to 72 hours for Blizzard to "verify" my purchase before it will unlock the next act? I bought the damn game at the store. Geez.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:28 am

Vrock wrote:
I have no idea what happened. I bought the retail game, installed it. It patched. I played through Act 1. I noticed that there was an icon asking me to "upgrade" on the start screen, but I paid it no mind. Well, after killing the Skeleton King, I got a big notice to upgrade. WTF? So, I log onto battle.net and apparently it thinks I have the starter edition? So, I enter my DVD key into battle.net and it now says I have the Diablo III standard edition. But, when I go back into the game, Act 1 is the only option.

I'm kinda pissed. Apparently I have to wait up to 72 hours for Blizzard to "verify" my purchase before it will unlock the next act? I bought the damn game at the store. Geez.

I thought this issue had been sorted out already. Apparently not. :-? (it was a known issue sometime ago)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

superjawes

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:11 am

Vrock wrote:

The Skeleton King...IIRC, is NOT the last boss in Act I. Have you tried playing past that point?

If you are stuck there, you'll have to contact customer support.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:31 am

I'd have to grind through the cathedral again to get to him. After I beat him there was no way out of his throne room, so I opened a town portal and left. Pain in the ass, but I guess I could give it a go. Will be pissed if I still can't advance after I beat him a second time.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:44 am

Had that buying direct from Blizzard. Heck, had that when I tried WoW, too.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:55 am

This is what I get for going back to PC gaming.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:02 am

edit: i didn't read up far enough, I'm not adding anything useful to the conversation. :oops:
Last edited by derFunkenstein on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:12 am

Vrock wrote:
This is what I get for going back to PC gaming.

I know, right?

Suffering for "the cause" is part of the enjoyment. Or something.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:25 pm

In PC gaming's defense, Diablo III was a special kind of pain. My wife recently got Dishonored from Steam and it installed and worked like a charm. Likewise, our recent purchases of Borderlands 2 was also painless. Dunno what's up with Blizzard. I guess it's safe to assume the next StarCraft II episode will also have it's share of "fun".

superjawes

Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Scrotos wrote:
In PC gaming's defense, Diablo III was a special kind of pain. My wife recently got Dishonored from Steam and it installed and worked like a charm. Likewise, our recent purchases of Borderlands 2 was also painless. Dunno what's up with Blizzard. I guess it's safe to assume the next StarCraft II episode will also have it's share of "fun".

Blizzard did launch a WoW expansion with virtually no issues...makes the pain of Diablo even worse considering that.

SC2 is a different beast, IMO, but keep your ears tuned for HotS launch in March.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Yeah, I am mostly just bitching. But I expect more from Blizzard, its a sign of the times that this stuff is happening.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Vrock wrote:
Yeah, I am mostly just bitching. But I expect more from Blizzard, its a sign of the times that this stuff is happening.

BTW, Get used to farming bosses for gear. You'll see a lot of the Skeleton King. :P (But you just probably want to finish the story and not try to be all uber and finish the game on Inferno difficulty although I had more fun in Inferno just trying to keep nephalem stacks up and coming up with unique ways to kill things)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:43 pm

tanker27 wrote:
BTW, Get used to farming bosses for gear.

You don't farm bosses for gear.