Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Tharbad
Gerbil
Topic Author

Concatenate 2 Routers

Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:51 am

Hello,

I want to add a wireless network at my house.
Currently I have 1 router (Edimax BR-6204-WG) which is connected to the modem. There're 2 switches connected to that router - one for each area in the house.
Although the router is wireless, I cant use it as such as it's located in a bedroom.
Therefore I would like to add a new router or access point and connect it to the router.
As I started to check prices I noticed that access point cost twice more than routers.
So is it possible to concatenate 2 routers so the wired (6204) will be the gateway of the wireless?

I know that I'll have to use different DHCP ranges.

Thanks

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Concatenate 2 Routers

Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:36 am

Yes, and you don't even need to use 2 different DHCP ranges. This is something that comes up regularly, I should probably write it up nicely and sticky it. Here's the last one I found:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81673

Tharbad
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Just turn off the DHCP server of the second router and give it a different IP address from the primary.

Assuming they have 4 port switches + 1 WAN ports each, connect the two routers over the switch ports (the primary WAN will be connected to your modem while the secondary WAN port is left empty).

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:59 pm

The APs are probably lower quality too.

The Asus RT-N16 has a setting that will turn it into just an access point, and all you have to do is connect it to the router. It will look something like below.

Edimax --> RT-N16 --> switch
\--> wireless

You can either get rid of the switches or hang them off of the N16, and to get wireless roaming, setup each N16 to have the same SSID and password.

If you want to get really crazy, you can flash it with TomatoUSB or OpenWRT, and use it as a wireless bridge and such.