Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

XorCist
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

best place to buy a tv

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:14 pm

so in the market for a new tv since my 42" samsung lcd is starting to show its age....also its power usage is starting to add up...200watts @ about 10 hours per day add up real quick
so i know im in the market for a LED since from my math they use about ~25watts
i know i can go to best buy and see them with my eyes, also costco, that way i at least know what they look like...i know the settings and lighting aren't anywhere close to what i will have in my home, but i'd rather not buy one blindly...
are there better deals to be had online for tv's? i see what look like some half decent deals at amazon, but are there any other sites where i should look for good deals on tv's?
also i want to try to stay with some of the bigger players...i dont want some crap brand....i wanna try to stick with samsung, LG, sharp, toshiba, vizio (yes i know not high quality, but all the ones i see look nice) not a big fan of sony...but if there is a deal on it i'll pull the trigger
oh yea size wise....around 50", no need for 3d, no hz requirements either..we mainly just watch the tube with occasional 360 gaming
budget ~8-900 obviously cheaper is better....i see some 50's for the 700 range....
thanks a ton

yokem55
Gerbil

Re: best place to buy a tv

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Costco. The Automatic 2nd Year warranty is a great deal.....

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:04 pm

Costco if you prefer to buy "offline", Amazon if you would like to buy it "online". Also, check out this site, they may still have some deals for such TV's:
http://slickdeals.net/
If there's nothing on front page - just search their forums.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:07 pm

Where are you getting a 25W figure? LEDs, especially at larger screen sizes, do not scale that cleanly. Here is a comparison matrix from C|Net:

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-c ... ion-chart/

You might note that for any given display size, the CCFL-backlit models (designated "LCD) do show a power penalty over the LED-backlit models (designated "LED") but the ratio is more in the range of 1.5:1 to 3:1, not the 8:1 you have estimated.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

XorCist
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:12 pm

thanks for the link to slickdeals always forget about that site....i usually use spoofee, forgot about slick
also for the 25 watt number, i was reading they use 172kwh per year and broke it down from there...must of did something wrong with my math...still ~100 isnt bad....cuts my use in half

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:42 pm

I strongly recommend that you call the folks at U.S. Appliance before you buy. They saved me more than $1000 on my TV vs. Best Buy last year.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:44 pm

At my current electric rate of somewhere around $0.14/kWH, 172 kWH/annum is $24.08/yr, or 2 bucks a month. That's half of one Starbucks crappy foofy coffee per month to pay the juice on the TV.

As for places to buy, I had a good experience buying my Panny 55" plasma from Abe's of Maine. Didn't buy the "full delivery" package but the trucker helped me haul it into the living room and waited until I unboxed it to check for obvious shipping damage.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:57 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I strongly recommend that you call the folks at U.S. Appliance before you buy. They saved me more than $1000 on my TV vs. Best Buy last year.

This one: http://www.us-appliance.com/? Their TV prices are roughly (or sometimes more expensive) the same as Amazon's...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:50 pm

They've got deals that are too low to advertize. At least call the 800 number once you've decided which model you want to see what they'd sell it for.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2