Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Motorola Xoom - Vehicle Mount

Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:43 am

I've been looking over mount system after mount system and to be honest not many of them provide you with detailed info, materials list or a video to show you how the mount performs specifically on the road!

I've got the Motorola Xoom (original) and finally have a useful purpose for it. I want to mount it into my vehicle to use an app to log my mileage, simple. However, I've got a 1997 F-150 which does not have a lot of dash room, so a tablet this size would cause me to have one heck of a blind spot right in the center of my view.

Here is a picture of the exact same style dashboard I have in my truck (Warning, this is not my truck picture)
http://images.dealerrevs.com/gallery/ph ... d=39917587

One of them I saw was this mount, but this would probably have to be mounted right above the radio, right in the center of my view.
http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/mfx-10-ipadtab.htm
All other Xoom compatible mounts from the Mount Guys.
http://www.mountguys.com/category_s/4482.htm

The problem is that its going to be winter soon and that means -50 weather and I'm not sure if a suction cup mount will withstand those temps. Then again the suction cup looks to be the kind you actually pull a lever to make it suction on, which have WAY more holding power from what I've noticed. At the same time, those suction cup style mounts don't seem to be offered with the slight swivel arm mounts, which could be put on the passenger side facing towards me...

I just don't know the best way to go while staying fairly inexpensive. 60 maybe 80 bucks total is all I'm looking to spend. Any advice for someone with a truck like that that's not quite laid out easily for modern technology?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Motorola Xoom - Vehicle Mount

Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:48 am

Have you already tried looking at ProClip? They have custom mounts for just about every popular car model and phone/smartphone/GPS. No "suction cup" junk. Their USA site is here:
https://www.proclipusa.com/
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: Motorola Xoom - Vehicle Mount

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:43 am

Took a look at the proclip, I like that their stuff is 100% specific per vehicle. I'm probably going to put in order, the only thing I'm concerned about is that its plastic, and that you have to drill into that plastic to get things to attach. I guess no better place than Alaska to test it out to see if it can handle extreme cold. My plan is obviously to take my tablet into the house at night since sub sub zero temps probably aren't good for it long term and screen response goes out the door as LCD gets colder. I'll just have to pre-heat the vehicle decently in the mornings before placing the tablet down for a work day. I've been test the app out that I got on the tablet and it works flawlessly. Looks like I might have a workable solution.

Ohh ya, another cool thing about these proclips from looking (compared to others) is the two part system. If I wanted to buy a device holder for another device like say a phone or a smaller $99 google tablet (if they put one out :)) then I could do that and only have to buy the device holder. Hmmm, we shall see. Ordering now.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x