Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

ConfusedUser
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Software Help

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:22 am

Hi Guys,

I just bought a new Laptop and I am in a pickle because I don't know what would I download. I've downloaded a trial version of Norton Internet Security 2012 and TuneUp Utilities 2013? my experience so far is good but I don't know if this is the best out there. Can you guys recommend what will be the best antivirus and tune up software? Free versions is also welcome.. :D :D :D

In addition, I also have previous experience with ccleaner and piriform but my last laptop feels a little slow after a few days. Is keepass password protection any good?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Software Help

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:40 am

I generally just go with the built-in firewall and MSE for security, plus Malwarebytes for malware removal (if needed). Unless you're in the habit of visiting questionable web sites, clicking on random links people send you in e-mails, or installing software from untrusted sources, that really ought to be enough (and if you *do* engage on those risky behaviors even the best AV is eventually going to let something slip through).

I used to recommend AVG, but it has gotten quite bloated in the past few years so it is now on my "avoid" list. And avoid anything McAfee like the plague.

I'm not familiar with TuneUp Utilities 2013, but many of these types of tools are little more than digital snake oil. Just make sure you routinely uninstall software you don't use any more, disable unnecessary startup services, and run an occasional (every couple of months should be enough) defrag if you've got a mechanical hard drive.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.