Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

codedivine
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Microsoft predicts 400m Windows 8 sales in 9 months?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Thurrott published this article: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/pau ... ays-144446

A MS executive predicts 400m Windows 8 machines within 9 months, whereas current PC sales around 375m/yr. He also predicts 100k Win8 apps within months. Another notable quote:
And third, we’re going to have beautiful, relevant, and personal ads. So all of the ads are going to be integrated; they’re not going to be disruptive to the user experience, but beautiful, relevant, and useful.
:o

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Microsoft predicts 400m Windows 8 sales in 9 months?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:08 pm

Well if they have 400m W8 sales in 9 months, I suspect that'll largely be tied to the extra 350m downloads of Windows7 when those users get sick of the adverts.

At what point did it become acceptable for advertising in the OS? It's bad enough that we have to put up with it in media.
My best guess is that the most popular downloads and google searches when W8 goes live will be for ad-blockers and Metro workarounds.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:47 pm

I love that quote, sarcastically of course. How can an ad not be disruptive and still do its job of getting your attention to buy the said product? And relevant only means looking at the things you are doing and spiting out adds that match.

Jakubgt
Gerbil First Class

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Wonder if the Ads will be based off what the user searches. Should get interesting if that's the case
Hello world.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:44 pm

I thought employees weren't allowed to smoke crack at Microsoft? Oh wait, it's an exec. That figures.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

drkicker
Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Ari Atari wrote:
I love that quote, sarcastically of course. How can an ad not be disruptive and still do its job of getting your attention to buy the said product? And relevant only means looking at the things you are doing and spiting out adds that match.

Ads on that link are quite disruptive. I put my mouse over the word windows in the first paragraph and got an ad for the iPhone 4S that covered the next 2 paragraphs.

Jakubgt wrote:
Wonder if the Ads will be based off what the user searches. Should get interesting if that's the case

Who needs search? I put my mouse over the word Windows on the link and got a popup for the iPhone 4S.
ASRock H77M-ITX - Intel E3-1245v2 - 8Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1060 3GB - Dell 24" IPS - OCZ Vertex 3 128GB SSD - Silverstone ITX case - Razer Lycosa keyboard - Corsair RGB 65 Pro mouse- Win 10 x64

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:29 pm

codedivine wrote:
Thurrott published this article: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/pau ... ays-144446

A MS executive predicts 400m Windows 8 machines within 9 months, whereas current PC sales around 375m/yr. He also predicts 100k Win8 apps within months. Another notable quote:

If that includes Windows 8 Phone and tablets, I could believe that. If only desktops, then no. http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+8+Early+Adoption+is+Well+Behind+Pace+Set+by+Windows+7/article27826.htm. Pre-launch sales are WELL below Windows 7 sales.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.