Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

mjaybird
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

AMD FX fan

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:41 am

I just got an AMD FX 4170 quad 4.2 with a Gigabyte AM3+ board. The CPU fan in games and other applications the noise goes up and down depending on what I am doing. Any way I can have the fan be the same speed and be quieter?
Last edited by mjaybird on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jon1984
Gerbil XP

Re: AMD FX fan

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:46 am

mjaybird wrote:
Any way I can have the fan be the same speed and be quieter?

I find that to be difficult...

You could buy an aftermarket cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. A solid performer and cheap :wink:
i5 3570K - Nepton 280L - P8Z77-V - 4x4Gb - 290X Gaming 4Gb - 2x F90 - Spinpoint F3 1Tb - S340 - CS750M
MX239H AH-IPS - Ryos MK - Kone Pure Military - HyperX Cloud - Win 10
Xiaomi Mi A2

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:50 am

mjaybird wrote:
I just got an AMD F 4170 quad 4.3 with a Gigabyte AM3+ board. The CPU fan in games and other applications the noise goes up and down depending on what I am doing. Any way I can have the fan be the same speed and be quieter?

Let's see, FX 4170 is a 4,2 GHz CPU and yet you say it's at 4,3 GHz stock. You miss a few letters even though the text is quite small and you could have easily checked it. The only reason i'm not 100% sure this is spam it's your join date. If you're for real then post a reply with the complete name of you're motherboard and the name of you're case (possibly others spex if you know them, just so we get an idea of what you're dealing with).

just brew it! wrote:
@Arclight - 4.3 is the turbo core speed for that CPU. No need to jump down his throat.

According to AMD turbo is 4,399, i'd call that 4,4 if i was him, imo he could still be spaming. Waiting on his reply.
Last edited by Arclight on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:58 am

The stock AMD coolers get the job done, but they're not the quietest.

If it is ramping up in games then that means the CPU is getting hot enough that it probably needs the extra cooling. You may be able to tweak the temperature thresholds in the BIOS to quiet it down some (at the expense of higher CPU temps), but you really want to keep the CPU below 60C.

Better case ventilation may help by giving the CPU HSF cooler air to work with. But your best bet is an aftermarket cooler with a larger fan; that way you can run the fan at lower RPM, resulting in less noise.

@Arclight - 4.3 is the turbo core speed for that CPU. No need to jump down his throat.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ptsant
Gerbil XP

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:08 pm

mjaybird wrote:
I just got an AMD F 4170 quad 4.3 with a Gigabyte AM3+ board. The CPU fan in games and other applications the noise goes up and down depending on what I am doing. Any way I can have the fan be the same speed and be quieter?

1. If you want the same fan and the same speed and a more quiet PC, your only solution is to add some insulating material to your case (akasa used to make a Soundmat product) or just buy a better case.
2. If you want the same temperature and the same fan, but less speed/noise, make sure your case is well-ventilated (for example, add a pair of 120mm case fans).
3. If you want the same temperature with less noise, think about changing fan and buy an aftermarket cooler. Coolermaster EVO, thermalright, Noctua and Scythe have good products.
4. You can just change the fan profile from Gigabyte software or BIOS, but the cpu will likely increase temperature. Less aggressive cooling could work with less noise, but make sure the system is stable.

Check the contact between CPU and cooler, apply good thermal paste.

Between the above solutions, I would probably buy an aftermarket cooler and add case fans. The advantage of good case fans (and a good case) is that they also help all your other components, eg GPU, HD etc. I would advise you against (1) and (4) unless you have already looked at the other options.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Aftermarket fan. Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo.

mjaybird
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:28 pm

It is a 4.2 I was wrong on that. Maybe gigabyte has something in its software I can change or the bios. I am sad that you think I am spam. I am a new member trying to get help and all you think of is the font size is wrong so he is spam. (If you look the font is the same size as yours so I could call your message spam also based off of that)
Last edited by mjaybird on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjaybird
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:28 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Aftermarket fan. Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo.

I will go for that. Good idea

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:44 pm

I have a Hyper 212 Plus on my FX-6100 that i've gotten great results wtih
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

mjaybird
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:17 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
I have a Hyper 212 Plus on my FX-6100 that i've gotten great results wtih

Thank you for your option I will look at that

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Another vote for the Evo, I have one on my i5-3570k and it's great.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:17 am

mjaybird wrote:
It is a 4.2 I was wrong on that. Maybe gigabyte has something in its software I can change or the bios. I am sad that you think I am spam. I am a new member trying to get help and all you think of is the font size is wrong so he is spam. (If you look the font is the same size as yours so I could call your message spam also based off of that)

The amount of spam on this site made me cynical. I appologize.

@topic
There are 3 things you can try before getting the aftermarket cooler (long term it is recommended though that you get one):
1. Undervolting&Underclocking
The reverse of OCing, you should be able to do it from the BIOS options, that's why i asked about what motherboard you have. After lowering the voltage test stability of the system by using a stress test software like OCCT. Your chip is unlocked so lowering the frequency to achieve stability at lower voltages should be quite easy, just change the CPU multiplier.

2. Lower the CPU fan speed
Do this also from the BIOS. With my older Asus mobo i can choose between presets like Silent, Normal or Turbo. it really makes a difference during idle or low loads. This should be done after undervolting and underclocking. Use again something like OCCT to check temperatures during high loads. Note that your chip's maximum temperature is 61 degrees Celsius.

3. Depending on what case and fans you have you could reconfigure the airflow in the case to optimize it around the CPU socket. But that's kind of difficult with the stock fan since it's a blow down style HSF. With tower coolers you can direct the airflow in a certain direction allowing you to create a wind tunnel effect.

Lastly i also think that for your budget the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ or Evo is a good choice, but since we don't know what case you have, you should check to see if your case's width allows the installation of such a tall cooler. Iirc the 212 Evo is 152mm tall, but you should througly check the specs before you make the purchase.

Edit
Arclight wrote:
You miss a few letters even though the text is quite small and you could have easily checked it.

mjaybird wrote:
I am a new member trying to get help and all you think of is the font size is wrong so he is spam. (If you look the font is the same size as yours so I could call your message spam also based off of that)

Read again what i wrote. I never said anything about text font, i was reffering to you're grammer or spelling errors.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.