Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Seems Logitech is joining the metal spring keyboard party

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:42 am

There's not even a product page for it yet (although there probably will be tomorrow), but retailers are already loading it into their systems:

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=759898

Gaudy as hell, MX browns, so not at all relevant to my interests (I want a lot more tactility than browns, I'll stick with Unicomp and old IBM keyboards), but... welcome to Logitech keyboards that might actually not suck?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Seems Logitech is joining the metal spring keyboard part

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:20 am

Yuk.

Still a gaping hole in the market for an ergonomic clicky-key keyboard that doesn't look and work like ass.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

TwoEars
Gerbil First Class

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:46 pm

$220 - Damn!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 pm

Interesting... Strange that there's no announcement at all from Logitech, especially considering such major new "feature" (mechanical keys), even though the stores are already listing them. The price is probably not gonna be that high in USA, more like $140 or something around this (after all, it has no display).
Judging by the **** quality of all previous Logitech keyboards I've tried (especially the awfully dim backlighting), I have no faith that this keyboard would be significantly better, but I might be wrong... Hopefully they will have some choice of Cherry MX switches without using some nonsense like "in our tests, 99% of l33t Pr0 "World of Warcraft" and "League of Legends" players preferred to use our Brown Cherry MX switches which we painstakingly hand-tuned over several years, so you will too!" :roll:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:52 am

That is actually rather tasteful and restrained. I was expecting dragons, tribal, and other clownish junk gaming stuff gets stuck with.

This is really gaudy.

Chrispy_ wrote:
Still a gaping hole in the market for an ergonomic clicky-key keyboard that doesn't look and work like ass.

Agree, and one that's not lots of money.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:06 am

Chrispy_ wrote:

The One True Keyboard is already ergonomic and I can guarantee that it looks and works better than my arse. 8)
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:14 am

I'll grant that the Logitech is fairly reserved but I still like something plainer/smaller. The RK-9100BR will probably be my next keyboard. Just give me a standard layout of keys that feel good and are lit well and I''ll be happy.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:24 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:

The One True Keyboard is already ergonomic and I can guarantee that it looks and works better than my arse. 8)

There's always the Model M15. Split layout, and buckling spring.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:11 am

bhtooefr wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
There's always the Model M15. Split layout, and buckling spring.

Yeah, and the only one available on FleaBay is $900 for Buy It Now.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:25 am

Surprising that there's even one available right now.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

Heh, I assume you mean the model M?

Unfortunately it was the model M that drove me to Microsoft's Natural Keyboard back in the 90's.
I'm a 6'3" gorilla with an ape index of +4, a 10" handspan, short legs for my height and the shoulder width to match. Ergonomic means split, angled key rows in my case :(

That being said, I suspect the model M does look better than your arse. I am trying to avoid http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=eGu&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=fflb&biw=2560&bih=1319&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=IEirUt1HoJ73wM:&imgrefurl=http://www.adapt-it.co.uk/products/maltron-dual-handed-3d-split-keyboard-dual-maltronqwerty-layout-ps2.asp&docid=aQ1Wmq0e2CdLrM&imgurl=http://www.adapt-it.co.uk/img/large/maltron_dh_keyboard_2.jpg&w=500&h=375&ei=GTZvUMmPB6W00QWy1IDYBg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=688&vpy=427&dur=50&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=116&ty=84&sig=118078318874703213761&page=1&tbnh=130&tbnw=172&start=0&ndsp=107&ved=1t:429,r:30,s:0,i:168
Last edited by Chrispy_ on Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
I'm a 6'3" gorilla with an ape index of +4, a 10" handspan, short legs for my height and the shoulder width to match. Ergonomic means split, angled key rows in my case :(

As I said above, there's a M15 (split/angled keyboard Model M) available on FleaBay for the low, low buy it now price of $899.99. Given how rare they are, that might actually be a good price.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:

As I said above, there's a M15 (split/angled keyboard Model M) available on FleaBay for the low, low buy it now price of $899.99. Given how rare they are, that might actually be a good price.

Ta, I'll get right on that ;)

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Well, this is exactly as I have expected:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mi ... n=features
$150, Cherry MX Browns only, BUT "customized" with a dampening rings. At least all the keys are mechanical, unlike on faux "mechanical" Corsair keyboards :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:22 pm

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:47 am

6110345 (or several other part numbers that are the same thing with different keycaps)