Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Need new android phone - Galaxy Nexus?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 am

I was hoping to put this off until February or March, but for various reasons including a USB connector that's about to fail, I think my time with the old-but-otherwise-excellent Nexus One is just about done. I'm on T-Mobile for now. There's a very small possibility of needing to switch to Verizon sometime in the next year for work reasons...but if that comes to pass I may be eligible for a company phone anyway, so meh.

This will be a cash-over-the-barrel purchase and I want no-locky, so I'm thinking a Galaxy Nexus ($349+T&S from Google Play) is in the right ballpark. I could stretch for a Galaxy S2 (but not an S3), but I don't see the benefit and I would probably have to buy an international version with no warranty in order to get an unlocked phone.

Any other options I should consider? At some point I'll probably root the unit and install CyanogenMod, so the phone needs to be mainstream enough to be supported.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Need new android phone - Galaxy Nexus?

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 am

I have a Galaxy Nexus and like it well enough. I think, for $350, it's hard to find a better value Android (and maybe any) phone right now if you don't want a contract.

The Galaxy SII has slightly better hardware specs, but you'll likely not notice it. The Nexus is still more than capable at running any casual 3D Android game or application. The still camera on the Nexus isn't the best, especially compared to some of the newer phones coming out. Video capture (at up to 1080p), however, is very decent.

The main feature is the gorgeous 720p screen. Sure, the Galaxy SIII may have a slightly improved version, but the screen on the Nexus is no slouch - and is a notable improvement over the non HD screen on the Galaxy SII. To me, a great screen is probably the single most important feature on a smart phone.

The fact of the matter is that, with an aftermarket rom (I like AOKP myself, but cyanogen is good too) and the right kernel (I'm currently using Franco Kernel) - and there is tons of rom support for the Nexus - you can easily tweak the phone so that it feels just as responsive and snappy as anything out there for day to day use, especially now that Jelly Bean is out. Some people complain that the Nexus doesn't have a micro SD slot, but again, once the phone is rooted, you can use regular USB flash drives for your external storage needs..

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:46 am

Only 8GB of non-expandable memory...hmm. That I hadn't realized. Probably not a big deal since I'm getting by with an 8GB SD card now, and only rarely use my phone as a music player, but that's kind of a downer for a $350 phone. I may have to look harder at the S2.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Anarchist
Gerbil

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:15 pm

... question ...

what is the logic behind buying no-contract smartphones? Do you not plan to keep the data plan? If so wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a tablet instead? If you do plan to maintain data plan, then wouldn't signing up for new contract and getting phone for basically free be the cheaper route? Furthermore is there any logical reason to keep your smartphone beyond 2 year contract period when changing the carrier and sigining up for new contract will basically give you a new phone? On the same note, given that the data plan costs same regardless of which phone you choose, is iphone really a bargain at $199 compared to, say, galaxy which cost $99?

mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:22 pm

cynan wrote:
I have a Galaxy Nexus and like it well enough. I think, for $350, it's hard to find a better value Android (and maybe any) phone right now if you don't want a contract.

The Galaxy SII has slightly better hardware specs, but you'll likely not notice it. The Nexus is still more than capable at running any casual 3D Android game or application. The still camera on the Nexus isn't the best, especially compared to some of the newer phones coming out. Video capture (at up to 1080p), however, is very decent.

The main feature is the gorgeous 720p screen. Sure, the Galaxy SIII may have a slightly improved version, but the screen on the Nexus is no slouch - and is a notable improvement over the non HD screen on the Galaxy SII. To me, a great screen is probably the single most important feature on a smart phone.

The fact of the matter is that, with an aftermarket rom (I like AOKP myself, but cyanogen is good too) and the right kernel (I'm currently using Franco Kernel) - and there is tons of rom support for the Nexus - you can easily tweak the phone so that it feels just as responsive and snappy as anything out there for day to day use, especially now that Jelly Bean is out. Some people complain that the Nexus doesn't have a micro SD slot, but again, once the phone is rooted, you can use regular USB flash drives for your external storage needs..

What is with this fascination with no-contract phones? I mean data and phone service are so essential to life these days i don't see myself ever cancelling anyway, plus 2 years isn't that long.

Also, why would you throw away the benefit of the subsidy?? You're paying 80 bux a month for service and you're not even using the subsidy this monthly cost implies! You're basically paying the amount of the subsidy, which is like 600 dollars (you pay 200 bux for an 800 dollar phone!) just for the ability to leave within 2 years, which you probably wont' do anyway. The penalty there wouldn't be 600 bux anyway!

continuum
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:25 pm

IIRC the Nexus does come in a 16GB version or a 32GB version-- there's what, 4 versions? So check...

Not all support HSPA+ so make sure you get the correct one.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:35 pm

T-mobile's "value" post-paid plan for one like is $60/mo for unlimited talk/text, and 2GB full-speed data or $70/mo for 5GB full-speed data. Not to mention a 500 minute plan that's $10/mo less on both of those. Since he's talking about the possibility of having to move to Verizon for work, that lack of early termination fee on no contract is also nice.

My wife and I are on a 1000 minute (shared) plan with 2GB of (again, shared) data and no phone subsidies and we're paying $80/mo where it would be $120 if we took the subsidies because we'd be stuck on a "family" plan. That difference of $40 x 24 = 960 in 2 years. I can buy lots of phones for that money.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm

continuum wrote:
IIRC the Nexus does come in a 16GB version or a 32GB version-- there's what, 4 versions? So check...

The unlocked version he is talking about, and the only one that will work with T-Mobile, is the one from the Play Store. It has HSPA+ and 16GB of internal memory. That's really all he needs to worry about. The Sprint and Verizon versions aren't sold through Google so it shouldn't be a problem.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:54 pm

mph_Ragnarok wrote:
What is with this fascination with no-contract phones? I mean data and phone service are so essential to life these days i don't see myself ever cancelling anyway, plus 2 years isn't that long.

Also, why would you throw away the benefit of the subsidy?? You're paying 80 bux a month for service and you're not even using the subsidy this monthly cost implies! You're basically paying the amount of the subsidy, which is like 600 dollars (you pay 200 bux for an 800 dollar phone!) just for the ability to leave within 2 years, which you probably wont' do anyway. The penalty there wouldn't be 600 bux anyway!

T-Mobile has some pretty awesome prepaid plans. The best of all, 100 min + unlimited text and data for...30/month. 30. Not 80+ like it would cost on contract from Verizon or ATT. I don't know all the price points of all the plans, but it doesn't get much better than that. The benefit of "throwing away" the subsidy? Being able to use my phone on any network I want at any time I want. In the US, service providers don't usually, if ever, offer unlocked phones on a subsidy. If we look at something like an unlocked HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus which is only 350 from the Play Store + 30 bucks a month plan from T-Mo you make up the cost of the subsidy pretty dang quick. I don't know what ATT's ETF is, but I know what mine is at Verizon. As soon as it gets a little lower, i'll be cancelling. Just for reference the ETF at Verizon starts at 350 bucks if you sign up a new plan/upgrade with a smartphone. Ugly.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:55 pm

continuum wrote:

My Nexus is a 16GB version. I thought that was the minimum (and the version that was for sale for $350 from Google). And once rooted, you can just use regular USB flash drives..

mph_Ragnarok wrote:

Well, there are actually some places in the world where having your own phone allows for cheaper plan options. For example, at least one discount carrier in Toronto that offers full data (Mobilicity), has the handsets and plans completely separate (the way it should be, IMO). Hence, the plans are cheaper. Also, Virgin Mobile, at least in Canada, has started to offer some, admittedly minor, incentives for people with their own handset. Even though the plans are the same price, if you bring your own handset, 10% of your monthly bill is banked toward future hardware upgrades (instead of paying off a new handset that came with the plan). Also, I think in Canada, most contract terms are still 3 years, not 2. 3 years is a long time to be locked in to a plan.

The fact of the matter is that contracts exist with the purpose of getting more money out of customers over a longer, more stable term. Some people just don't like feeling they are being taken advantage of, even if it paradoxically means paying the same or more for an unlocked phone and plan in the long run. I think that it is a shame that more places/carriers don't have options that don't involve long-term contracts (insert obligatory comment about the state of oligopoly/collusion between carriers).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:31 pm

DancinJack wrote:
T-Mobile has some pretty awesome prepaid plans. The best of all, 100 min + unlimited text and data for...30/month. 30. Not 80+ like it would cost on contract from Verizon or ATT. I don't know all the price points of all the plans, but it doesn't get much better than that. The benefit of "throwing away" the subsidy? Being able to use my phone on any network I want at any time I want. In the US, service providers don't usually, if ever, offer unlocked phones on a subsidy. If we look at something like an unlocked HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus which is only 350 from the Play Store + 30 bucks a month plan from T-Mo you make up the cost of the subsidy pretty dang quick. I don't know what ATT's ETF is, but I know what mine is at Verizon. As soon as it gets a little lower, i'll be cancelling. Just for reference the ETF at Verizon starts at 350 bucks if you sign up a new plan/upgrade with a smartphone. Ugly.

Something you give up with that plan is partner data roaming. Doesn't really make a difference to me, and it may not make a difference to you depending on where you're going, but it's something to consider if there's poor T-mo coverage where you go somewhat frequently. My post-paid no-subsidy plan does get to roam data on AT&T EDGE (and if I had a pentaband phone, it could roam for 3G too, I'm sure) on the rare occasion where I'm out of T-mobile's coverage area.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm

Anyway, back on topic...the Nexus is probably the best choice for the conditions given, aside from looking at used phones which can be sketchy imo (maybe manufacturer refurbished instead.)

I am curious about one thing though. Given that the Nexus get the latest Android version with no carrier frills pretty much right away, what is the appeal of a custom ROM on it? Aside from maybe the pure tweaking geek 'because I can' factor.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:05 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
I am curious about one thing though. Given that the Nexus get the latest Android version with no carrier frills pretty much right away, what is the appeal of a custom ROM on it? Aside from maybe the pure tweaking geek 'because I can' factor.

Extra shortcuts and customization that make your life with a phone easier. I have a Nexus and have run a custom ROM from pretty much day one. I like having custom toggles in my notification pull down. I like having battery percentage instead of an icon. I like using custom kernels to extend battery life, tweak the screen colors/gamma/etc. There are a ton of features that are built in to custom ROMs that you wouldn't necessarily be able to do with stock. Like you said though I'm sure a lot of it is "because I can" and I just don't realize it.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:08 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Something you give up with that plan is partner data roaming. Doesn't really make a difference to me, and it may not make a difference to you depending on where you're going, but it's something to consider if there's poor T-mo coverage where you go somewhat frequently. My post-paid no-subsidy plan does get to roam data on AT&T EDGE (and if I had a pentaband phone, it could roam for 3G too, I'm sure) on the rare occasion where I'm out of T-mobile's coverage area.

Yeah I was just using that option as an example as to why some people might prefer an unlocked phone.

As for me though, I'm usually in pretty urban areas. We have HSPA+ 42 where I live and I don't really travel TOO MUCH out into the open wilderness. I can live with the week or so a year that I do.

To keep things on track: You should get the Nexus. It is also a penta-band phone so you can roam on ATT like Funk said. I love mine. Even on stock, the Nexus is better than many Android phones to date.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:00 pm

The Galaxy Nexus is the best choice for an Android phone. There is no point in considering a G3 or G2 from Samsung, unless someone gives it to you for free.

mph_Ragnarok wrote:

With a no-contract phone you won't have cancellation fees if you've been with the carrier more then two years, and many phone won't have carrier mandated crapware installed. Having an upgrade in your pocket is good insurance if your phone breaks, and a no-contract phone is more European.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:14 pm

DancinJack wrote:
To keep things on track: You should get the Nexus. It is also a penta-band phone so you can roam on ATT like Funk said. I love mine. Even on stock, the Nexus is better than many Android phones to date.

Not to mention that T-mobile is re-farming its 1900MHz spectrum to 3G because it's going to be deploying LTE on AWS (1700/2100, where their current HSDPA+ is right now). A GNexus is great for that, as well. Once HSDPA+ is disabled on the current bands, your Galaxy Nexus will still get it on the PCS bands. AFAICT this is T-Mobile's attempt to say "hey you can use an iPhone with us, too!" Having a pentaband phone will future-proof yourself a bit on T-Mo's network. And from what I can tell there are only a couple of pentaband phones right now (the One S can also do 1900MHz 3G, which is part of why I bought it; next time I'm data roaming I'll be testing that for sure)

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:18 pm

DancinJack wrote:
MadManOriginal wrote:

Extra shortcuts and customization that make your life with a phone easier. I have a Nexus and have run a custom ROM from pretty much day one. I like having custom toggles in my notification pull down. I like having battery percentage instead of an icon. I like using custom kernels to extend battery life, tweak the screen colors/gamma/etc. There are a ton of features that are built in to custom ROMs that you wouldn't necessarily be able to do with stock. Like you said though I'm sure a lot of it is "because I can" and I just don't realize it.

In addition to added features (ie, ability to use standard flash drives over USB) and customizations of both the UI and operation of the phone itself, some will actually give you noticeably better performance/battery life, especially if combined with the right custom kernel. At least that was true when I switched from stock ICS to AOKP + Franco Kernel on my Nexus. Not sure about such gains with Jelly Bean.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:45 pm

16GB ought to hold me. So, looks like it might be the Galaxy Nexus after all.

As for "why no-contract", here are my three reasons:

(1) I don't like all of the vendor lock-in crap, the delayed OS updates, the re-skins, etc...not even if I can hack it later. If it doesn't "just work" out-of-the-box, then the hassle of fixing it costs me time that I would rather use elsewhere. Sure, I'll probably end up rooting and ROM-ing it, but I don't have to do it tomorrow just to keep myself from re-purposing the phone as a high-velocity throwing projectile.

(2) Buying a phone via contract is like buying a car with payments -- you put money down up front and then commit to a period "n" subsequent payments, and once you sign, you're obligated even if you wreck the car while driving it off the dealer lot. Yeah, you may need a phone the rest of your given days, but if everything hits the fan, you may discover you don't need a $500 smartphone or a large monthly payment, starting right now.

(3) I have an unadvertised T-Mobile plan that includes unlimited data and is about $10-15/month cheaper than the next-available contract plan that offers unlimited data. In general I don't go over 150MB in a month, but I have the option, and occasionally use the phone as a wireless AP while traveling. But, it doesn't include phone discounts.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:41 am

Oooo...unadvertised secret plan! Do tell.

btw, you do know T-Mobile recently made some of their monthly plans availble with unlimited data? The 'all unlimited' is $70, or 500 voice minutes for $60. Is yours less? http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Packages/V ... kages.aspx (same coverage as their contract plans, unlike the 'Monthly 4G No Annual Contract' plans, which, to be fair, have some less expensive options - not worth the coverage tradeoff imo though.)

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:49 am

MadManOriginal wrote:
Oooo...unadvertised secret plan! Do tell.

btw, you do know T-Mobile recently made some of their monthly plans availble with unlimited data? The 'all unlimited' is $70, or 500 voice minutes for $60. Is yours less? http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Packages/V ... kages.aspx (same coverage as their contract plans, unlike the 'Monthly 4G No Annual Contract' plans, which, to be fair, have some less expensive options - not worth the coverage tradeoff imo though.)

So those require no contract at all? I'd be willing to pay 50/month for the contract coverage VS 30 a month for prepaid coverage.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:16 am

The fine print (and my experience) say that they require a 2-year contract, but the ETF is far, far lower than with a subsidized phone. It's $200 prorated over the life of the contract, which is reasonable IMO.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:10 am

Sorry, didn't finish the thread, but I've got relevant info.

I have a Samsung Galaxy SII via T-Mobile. I have no contract and pay 30$ a month for "unlimited" data (first 5GB on 4G full speed, then throttled), unlimited text (do not use, that's what GVoice is for), and 100 minutes talk (The magical words are; "CSipSimple", "Google Voice", and "extensive tinkering"). My phone cost 300$ cash-on-barrel, and is due to be unlocked (just cause I can) the first week in November (60+ days of service). I have 16GB of internal storage, a microSD slot, and slightly better specs than the GNex in several areas. The screen isn't high DPI like the GNex, though. My stills are slightly better, the CPU is slightly faster, and I have no official JB yet, though I could run Cyanogenmod 10 nightlies if I want (I have my Nexus 7 for that). Running Cyan 9.1.0 at the moment, with my faux-wifi-calling working while home, and good coverage everywhere else. Please feel free to ask me anything. I actually did a lot of research on the GNex before grabbing my phone, and will jump to the GNex if the rumored Samsung GNex+ comes out in a month as rumored (supposedly it's pretty much a Galaxy SII with Google branding and thus proper OS upgrades).

Also, since you're T-Mo, you'll want to be looking at the SGH-T989 specs specifically, as the i9XX0 phones are different under the hood. The Monthly4G branded SGH-T989 is probably cheaper than the unlocked international i9250.

Edit: Having now read the whole thread, it sounds like you're happy with the GNex, and for good reasons. I could probably be completely happy with a 16GB noSD phone if I could just put a big SD card into my Nexus7. :( I need the storage space on the tablet more anyways. USB-OTG, to use thumb drives on my tablet/phone: No. Just no. I do not want a cable and a thumb drive dangling off my device. I'd like to just have a bunch of storage IN the device. Sorry.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:20 am

If you're staying on T-Mobile, then you can't go wrong with the Galaxy Nexus. Though you might want to consider buying a used S3 as they can be found for around the same price, or just a little bit more, than a new Galaxy Nexus. However, if you're switching to Verizon, I would suggest that you consider another phone. I have the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, and haven't had any problems with it, but Verizon only recently released Jelly Bean, several months after it was available to everybody else. Considering that it is a Nexus device, that is completely ridiculous given that one of the main draws of getting a Nexus is that it's pure Google and shouldn't get interference from carriers. For me that wasn't an issue, since I've been running CM10 for a while (and several ROMs before that). However, if you aren't an enthusiast and want to get fast updates, Verizon really isn't your best choice regardless of the phone. With that being said, I absolutely love my Verizon service, especially LTE (yay for unlimited data).

Also, I just bought a mint condition Galaxy S3 off of eBay for $400 and I'm loving it. If you can spend $350 on a new Galaxy Nexus...what's $50 more? I planned on giving the S3 to my wife as an early Christmas present, but she doesn't want it until she can get a case for it. She's scarred that she'll drop it, so the phone is mine until she orders a case. The difference between the S3 and the Galaxy Nexus are very, VERY noticeable. The display alone is worth the upgrade, IMO. To say that it is beautiful is an understatement. Also, the battery life on the S3 is significantly better. It comes with a 2100 mAh battery, which is the same mAh rating as the extended battery in my Galaxy Nexus that I've been using since day 1. Add to the fact that the S3 is insanely snappy, and you have yourself a damn good phone. I'm not saying that the Galaxy Nexus is a bad phone, not by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just saying that the S3 is noticeably better in every category, specs wise. If you can spare the money, you might want to check Craigslist, eBay, and/or Swappa for a gently used S3.

I think the only drawback to getting an S3 would be is if you're an enthusiast, and this really isn't much of an issue. The development community for Nexus phones has been superior to other phones due to the open source nature of Android. I know that the S3 is insanely popular, but Samsung is known to be lacking in the driver support for their Exynos processor (which is only available in the international version of the phone) and other components, which also makes development harder. However, the development community is alive and well for the S3. If Cyanogen is supporting your phone, then you'll do just fine. ;)
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:22 am

Well darn, I guess you're right it is a contract. I always wondered why T-Mobile offered those Value Plans and 'Monthly 4G' prepaid. Now I wonder why they offer those Value Plans and regular contract plans :P Maybe if you bring your own phone it's different? One of the draws of no contract prepaid to me was no additional taxes so the advertised price was actually what you paid...I talked to an AT&T store rep a while ago and taxes add 18% to the monthly contract rates, making a $70 plan almost $90.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:31 am

MadManOriginal wrote:
I always wondered why T-Mobile offered those Value Plans and 'Monthly 4G' prepaid. Now I wonder why they offer those Value Plans and regular contract plans :P Maybe if you bring your own phone it's different?

I looked at the link, and I have NFI why anyone would take those offers if they had a phone. The price for SIM+service is the same as the price for phone+service. They also didn't have anything even vaguely close to the Unlimited 4G/unlimited text/100 min voice for 30$ that I have now. Closest was "unlimited" 4G (throttles after 2GB, mine is 5GB), unlim text, 200 talk, and that was 75$/month.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:08 am

The coverage is different for the type of plan you have ('Monthly 4G') which is why it's cheaper. But yeah that $30 plan is pretty unbeatable if you're OK with the coverage.

I figured the 'Value Plans' would make sense if you don't want a contract but want the superior coverage. If it's just a contract anyway they're a lot less appealing.

Rooster
Gerbil

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:36 am

Just chiming in here... My wife and I absolutely love our GNex phones. We use Straight Talk ($45.00/mo unlimited talk and 2GBish "unlimited" data) with our Google Voice numbers. I'm saving around $70-80/mo compared to my old T-Mobile plan, and with GVoice, I can easily switch providers if something better/cheaper becomes available.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:42 am

I took it because I needed more talk minutes than the 100 (GVoice is not porting in numbers from my area code, and my desire to keep my phone number was a priority) and I needed more data than the 100MB in the lowest-tier unlimited plan. The contract is not a big deal because we love the coverage. After tax, it works out to around $43/mo per phone for 1000 shared minutes and 2GB of (shared? not shared? not sure) full-speed data and unlimited slow data. Neither of us use more than 400-450MB/mo and we usually burn through around 400 minutes between the two of us. We could have taken a phone subsidy but when you still have to pay a non-$0 amount out of pocket for decent phones (at least, that was the case in May) it didn't make any sense at all.

Straight Talk looks tempting but I'd always been scared off of it based on people griping on HF that if you go over ~2GB/mo they shut you off. While I don't come close, the thought of losing my phone number kinda weirds me out.

Anyway, I really want to vote for the One S. Jelly Bean cometh at the end of the month.

Rooster
Gerbil

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:12 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I took it because I needed more talk minutes than the 100 (GVoice is not porting in numbers from my area code, and my desire to keep my phone number was a priority) and I needed more data than the 100MB in the lowest-tier unlimited plan. The contract is not a big deal because we love the coverage. After tax, it works out to around $43/mo per phone for 1000 shared minutes and 2GB of (shared? not shared? not sure) full-speed data and unlimited slow data. Neither of us use more than 400-450MB/mo and we usually burn through around 400 minutes between the two of us. We could have taken a phone subsidy but when you still have to pay a non-$0 amount out of pocket for decent phones (at least, that was the case in May) it didn't make any sense at all.

Straight Talk looks tempting but I'd always been scared off of it based on people griping on HF that if you go over ~2GB/mo they shut you off. While I don't come close, the thought of losing my phone number kinda weirds me out.

Anyway, I really want to vote for the One S. Jelly Bean cometh at the end of the month.

GVoice won't port my old number, either. I ported my old number to Voip.ms ($25 one-time fee and super cheap per minute fees) so I could transition to my GVoice number over time and not miss any calls. The only downfall is Voip.ms doesn't work with text messaging.

I use around 400-500MB/mo as well, so I don't worry about ST cutting me off. I have been shut off twice due to some weird renewal bug in their system, but I haven't had any problems after they assured me the bug was fixed.

I've spent some time with the One S and the S3, and they're both wonderful phones; however, I find the stock Android experience far superior to the skinned versions.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 pm

MadManOriginal wrote:
The coverage is different for the type of plan you have ('Monthly 4G') which is why it's cheaper. But yeah that $30 plan is pretty unbeatable if you're OK with the coverage.

I figured the 'Value Plans' would make sense if you don't want a contract but want the superior coverage. If it's just a contract anyway they're a lot less appealing.

Funny, I have signal anywhere there is T-Mobile or AT&T service. I haven't yet come up short anywhere but at my current house, which is in a crater. I know I've roamed on AT&T for 3G data several times, I get a message about it.