Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Re: dymt reloaded

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:10 am

Tired of Hollywood movies i turned to anime. For the past month or so i mostly watched anime series. I just finished watching Full Metal Panic and i'm now watching Requiem for the phantom and before that i watched Rahxephon and Mobile Suit Gundam 00. Srsly all of them have better stories than 99% of the crap movies that have been put out lately. Every new trailer for the past 3-4 years get me excited but it all falls apart when i actually see the movie (from Wrath of the Titans to Prometheus i only got dissapointed).

Edit
@Requiem for the phantom
OMG, dat ending :*(
Last edited by Arclight on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:32 am

just brew it! wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/15835017

Mother Nature does some really crazy sh*t sometimes.

You MUST see Frozen Planet in full HD, it's jaw-droppingly awesome.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:06 am

RIP Mongo.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:14 am

Mongo just pawn in game of life.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:19 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Mongo just pawn in game of life.

Best part is when he punches the horse. I lose it every single time.

codedivine
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:05 pm

Wondering if we will ever get to "dymt revolutions".

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:05 am

The only reason we got reloaded is because the forum software at the time of its creation could not handle the hugeness of the original dymt. My guess is that since the current software apparently isn't at its limit that we'll be on reloaded for a while.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:43 am

Wife's grandfather broke his hip this morning. he's going into surgery pretty soon, but I'm not optimistic; he's 90 and the last time I saw him he seemed pretty frail.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:51 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The only reason we got reloaded is because the forum software at the time of its creation could not handle the hugeness of the original dymt. My guess is that since the current software apparently isn't at its limit that we'll be on reloaded for a while.

Back then the moderator control panel tried to load the entire thread any time a mod change was needed. That blew out the memory resources of the server back then. I know, as I'm the one who blew it up. The current MCP loads one page at a time, so it's highly unlikely we'll ever see Revolutions.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:40 am

It probably didn't help when boofer was trying to nest as many quotes as he could in one page.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:06 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
Wife's grandfather broke his hip this morning. he's going into surgery pretty soon, but I'm not optimistic; he's 90 and the last time I saw him he seemed pretty frail.

Sorry to hear it man. Hope all goes well, but at that point lots of folks don't come out of it well. :(

steelcity_ballin wrote:
It probably didn't help when boofer was trying to nest as many quotes as he could in one page.

Touche, I'd kinda forgotten about that.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:03 am

i am such a damn hypocrite. I deal with, and try to get people to stop, using alcohol and other drugs as a crutch but I use JD or Capstan Morgan to help me sleep at night. :-? 1/2 a bottle of Tennessee honey and I am entirely too coherent to suit myself.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:09 am

Maybe you should set up an appointment with yourself.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:44 am

Also, I suggested Revolutions as soon as this thread was started (it's probably within the first 10 pages of this thread, even), before the move to phpBB 3, and was told no.

And, for my rule 13 compliance (DYMT is public, this is a post, ergo it fulfills my understanding of the rules - I'd rather not sig it): I am employed by Dell, as a client field services technician. I have close familiarity with some of Dell's business desktop and laptop products because of that, but any opinions that I post on this forum are my own opinions alone, and not those of my employer. If I post something positive about a Dell product, or critical of a Dell competitor's product, that's because that's my own personal opinion (and I'll also post things critical about the Dell product, and positive of the competitor's product if that's my opinion).

I don't think anyone's accused me of being a fanboi for anyone but VW (and nobody's accused me of being a shill for anyone AFAIK), but the rules say I had to get that out of the way, so I did.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:45 am

bhtooefr wrote:
I don't think anyone's accused me of being a fanboi for anyone but VW (and nobody's accused me of being a shill for anyone AFAIK), but the rules say I had to get that out of the way, so I did.

Consider it done VW shill.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:47 am

I drank bad milk last night. It didn't actually taste that bad, but the smell. Oh, the smell. And to my defense I had just awoken and wanted a glass of milk. I usually smell the milk every time before I pour it. 2 45am was not one of those times apparently.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:06 am

Eurgh.

I would've upchucked all over the place as soon as the smell got to me. (Then again, that's why I usually don't keep milk around. I use it rarely enough that even a half gallon goes bad before I've used more than a couple cups.)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:53 pm

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

Interestingly enough, a local stretch of four-lane divided highway had enough problems with elk getting struck in a particular two-mile stretch that they lined the whole thing with a 20' high wire fence, except for one crossing which is marked with all sorts of motion-activated flashing signs and stripey lines on the road. There are then ramps spaced every quarter-mile along the highway right-of-way so that any animals that wander down the road can escape to the openspace from the highway side, but not the other way around.

I'm not sure if it actually works, because every time I've seen the signs flashing at the crossing, they were obviously tripped by a cyclist who was using the break in the fence to change from the highway shoulder over to a bike path that follows the east side of the highway.

I also wonder who, exactly, specified the Colorado elk crossing sign, which is basically a minor variant of this. Near as I can figure, it translates to "DANGER: Trophy Bull Ahead."
Last edited by ludi on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:33 pm

ludi wrote:
I also wonder who, exactly, specified the Colorado elk crossing sign, which is basically a minor variant of this. Near as I can figure, it translates to "DANGER: Trophy Bull Ahead."

The Deer Crossing and Moose Crossing signs here in VT both have Boone & Crockett racks.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:51 am

I always feel gypped with those signs :lol: The number of really impressive bulls I saw living in Colorado could be counted on both hands. I NEVER saw one with a rack like the road signs had.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Perhaps a hunter could explain to me the thrill of killing a large, dumb, blunt-horned herbivore. I've never understood it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Vrock wrote:
Perhaps a hunter could explain to me the thrill of killing a large, dumb, blunt-horned herbivore. I've never understood it.

I'll give you moose, as the only hard part is finding one. Whitetail deer, OTOH, are a true challenge here in VT. They're smart (they know when deer season starts), they're hard to locate, they're incredibly skittish, and they're damn tasty if you finally bag one. Never done so with a rifle, but have 2 under my belt in car season.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:32 pm

I've never hunted yet, but there's a thrill in just seeing a massive bull.
When/if I hunt deer, I'll probably go for a spike buck or doe; they're supposed to taste better. And I like deer meat.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:17 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Eurgh.

I would've upchucked all over the place as soon as the smell got to me. (Then again, that's why I usually don't keep milk around. I use it rarely enough that even a half gallon goes bad before I've used more than a couple cups.)

I drink a gallon in 2 days, tops. I am the milk devour er. Vitamin D whole milk. I make svunt shakes, twice a day. That's over 3K calories in liquid, and not including the breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner I eat on top. What sick man, sends babies, to FIGHT ME!?!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Vrock wrote:

Correction: large, smart, delicious herbivore.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Interesting article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9606 ... -1066.html

What might have happened had the Saxons won the day 946 years ago today?

EDIT: And as long as we're on the historicity trail, the sound "barrier" was first broken by a piloted airplane 65 years ago today and by a free-falling human today. In the grand scheme of history, October 14 has some chops.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:34 pm

ludi wrote:
Correction: large, smart, delicious herbivore.

And so easy to overcook, as it's the leanest meat you'll ever see.

EDIT: This is page 714. Only one human has gone farther without cheating.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Seriously. I ordered a planer from a "reputable" etailer. It was on sale, cool. I place the order, they don't ship. I call them today, a week later. They say "Sorry, we'll check on it". I just got an email that said they're cancelling my order because they are "out of stock" and "don't have an ETA."

Meanwhile, the same item is on their site, 47% more expensive than the sale price I ordered.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:55 am

Very cool time-lapse video of a lightning strike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mB5rM8WHU
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.