Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Firefox 16, more tab stupidity

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:24 am

I use FF because I actually like having menus and buttons, and there are a few extensions and themes I can't live without. But lately Mozilla is trying hard to drive me away. First came the issue when "Open all in Tabs" in a bookmark folder no longer replaced the current tabs, but opened them all in addition to what was there already, making the Tab bar a complete mess. Fortunately, an extension I found fixed that.

After the re-release of FF16 over the weekend, I noticed that when I tried to "close other tabs" I began to get the warning box again. I figured that the update might have cleared that check box, but when I looked it was still checked. Just a simple bug, right? Soon to be fixed, no doubt? WRONG. A quick search (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2531393) revealed that it was intentional, and the actual "bug" was leaving the toggle in the options! Ugh! Apparently some users couldn't understand the difference between "Close Tab" and "Close other tabs" so they had to be saved from themselves. :evil:

WTF is Mozilla thinking? Force a nag message on everybody just because a few lack reading comprehension skills? Why not rename the command "Close all tabs besides this one," if it's REALLY that hard to comprehend. Maybe just maybe there's some wording out there that could explain "Close other tabs" better than the words "Close other tabs" :roll:

I reverted back to version 15 once I saw this. I will stay there until they fix it or (yet again) an extension restores functionality. Some of Mozilla's decisions in the past year or so are questionable at best.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Firefox 16, more tab stupidity

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:45 am

Mozilla lost the plot a while back;

I have been a die-hard Firefox fan since version 0.8 or so, but I was driven to Chrome about three months ago.
That speaks volumes really: nine years is more than half the time I've had internet access, and I remember paying about £60 for my first 56K modem.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:41 am

Opera. :wink:
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:15 am

FF has been gradually getting worse(Though your particular problem, kvndoom, doesn't apply to me as I don't use a lot of tabs, I prefer using new windows), but if I do wind up switching, it'll be to Opera. Can't stand Chrome. It has a non-UI.

I do appreciate how they've been working on the speed and responsiveness of the program lately, though.

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:01 am

I.S.T. wrote:
FF has been gradually getting worse(Though your particular problem, kvndoom, doesn't apply to me as I don't use a lot of tabs, I prefer using new windows), but if I do wind up switching, it'll be to Opera. Can't stand Chrome. It has a non-UI.

I do appreciate how they've been working on the speed and responsiveness of the program lately, though.

I know... improving speed and memory usage is great, but stop needlessly taking away features that made people fall in love in the first place.

Rumors say that the option will be back in FF18 (wow, Firefox has passed Final Fantasy?!? When did THAT happen? :lol: ), so I'll sit on 15 for a few months.

Opera, I'll have to look at again. I used to use it all the time, but that was years ago.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:38 am

kvndoom wrote:

Opera, I'll have to look at again. I used to use it all the time, but that was years ago.

If you don't like the single button menu crap just click that button and select
show menu bar. If you have any questions about Opera, feel free to PM me.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Mozilla lost the plot a while back;

I have been a die-hard Firefox fan since version 0.8 or so, but I was driven to Chrome about three months ago.

What made you decide to drop FF for Chrome?

I've tried Chrome, and it's okay. I'm a big find as you type addict, and Flash support on Linux is the only plus Chrome has over FF for me.