Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

VS2010 - "devenv.exe" CPU/RAM Hog...

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:05 am

Peeps,

I've been woking on a C# Forms Application for a few weeks in VS2010. It's not too complicated in what it needs to do, as in it's most simple state it is connecting to a database (Oracle 11i) and displaying results in a Treeview structure on the form. There's a few bits that detect a change to the search criteria and as thats bieng done the database is being automatically queried.

Problem is, as I continue working on this I have noticed my Laptop is getting slower and slower when VS2010 is open with this project. My employer's chosen Laptop that I have been using is pretty decent as far as a business machine goes, but this slowdown is really annoying me now and wondered if i've overlooked something?

Device manager reports that "devenv.exe" is using a good 1.5-1.7GB of RAM typically, and 50% of the CPU and im not even doing anything (other than writing SQL code and building data sets). Thoughts??

(Laptop is a Toshiba Portege R700, i7 CPU, 3.5GB RAM, Windows XP 64 Bit*)

*dont even get me started. They wont upgrade it for "compatability" reasons.
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: VS2010 - "devenv.exe" CPU/RAM Hog...

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:53 am

Have you installed SP1?

Are you using the fancy tools like Server Explorer (to constantly connect to the database, may be on the laptop as well?), TFS (to constantly connect to the server for source control integration, bug tracking, etc.) or the like? I guess you can see the theme I am going at...
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Doesn't VS2010 constantly compile your source in the background to highlight errors and such? I know it does for C/C++ and I wouldn't be surprised if it did the same for other languages.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

geekl33tgamer
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:19 am

I'm not sure if SP1 is installed or not for VS2010 - I guess it would either say in the "Help > About" section, or you can tell by version number: "10.0.30319.1 RTMRel"?

I would presume not, and would love to contact our IT service desk and get it installed if not (ohhhh the joy)...

I've tried a few other bits as Flying Fox suggested - As I was using the Server Explorer for constant connectivity to the Oracle DB as well as our own internal Sharepoint services. Turned them off and it doesn't seem to make a difference (And I don't want to turn off Live Compile)?

I've moved the project off my work laptop to my gamer PC that has VS2010 also. It's fine of there, and isnt using anywhere near the resource. I can't say where the problem lies tho (it's spec is in sig) as it's just simply a faster machine in every area and uses W7 too. Is the problem likley to be XP??
Mega Beast - Intel i7 4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK | 32GB DDR3 | SLI GTX 1070 | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Mini Beast - Intel C2E QX9770 | Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 | 16GB DDR3 | KFA2 LP GTX 750Ti | Seagate 2TB SSHD

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 pm

rcs2k4 wrote:
I'm not sure if SP1 is installed or not for VS2010 - I guess it would either say in the "Help > About" section, or you can tell by version number: "10.0.30319.1 RTMRel"?

I have 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel", so I guess you are not on SP1. SP1 fixes quite a few things and I feel that it is smoother than RTM version. Hey, they bring back a local Help Viewer, that's already worth upgrading! :x :o

rcs2k4 wrote:
I've tried a few other bits as Flying Fox suggested - As I was using the Server Explorer for constant connectivity to the Oracle DB as well as our own internal Sharepoint services. Turned them off and it doesn't seem to make a difference (And I don't want to turn off Live Compile)?
If you constantly query big tables and stuff that is why I guess you will be hogging some memory. All that data has to be stored somewhere? IntelliSense yes leave it there. I only seem to have problems with a lot of C/C++ projects. C# projects in general should be nicer.

rcs2k4 wrote:
I've moved the project off my work laptop to my gamer PC that has VS2010 also. It's fine of there, and isnt using anywhere near the resource. I can't say where the problem lies tho (it's spec is in sig) as it's just simply a faster machine in every area and uses W7 too. Is the problem likley to be XP??
I will have to say you need to check the Working Set instead of what is reported in Task Manager to be sure. Reporting in TM has changed from OS to OS.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
rcs2k4 wrote:
I will have to say you need to check the Working Set instead of what is reported in Task Manager to be sure. Reporting in TM has changed from OS to OS.
Definitely get Process Explorer and use that. W7's TaskMan is kind of the neutered version of ProcessExplorer anyway, but if you're a developer the added information in PE is valuable (it tracks .NET objects specifically, among other things) and anyone with technical knowledge will want to drill down into the details anyway. (eg I've seen situations with lots of Chrome browser windows/tabs running AJAX-heavy sites where things go haywire even though there's plenty of V and P memory available, because Chrome likes to hang onto everything in memory -- even for windows that are closed and pages that only exist in the history -- and it manages to exhaust GDI objects before RAM or VM. It was easy to see this in PE, but a mystery just using Task Manager).

Oracle's SQL drivers in the past have been notorious for being something less than good citizens -- though I have no experience with them recently -- so it's quite possible some of the problem is overly-aggressive caching or just sloppiness on their part (which of course would show up as bloat in deveenv.exe for allocations or CPU usage on behalf of an in-process DLL). There also may be something you should be doing in your code in terms of closing database objects and reclaiming them to minimize your footprint. One of the unfortunate downsides to a garbage-collected infrastructure is that things don't get cleaned up right away (and this can be particularly problematic when debugging and other complications arising from a dev environment are added to the equation)