Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: dymt reloaded

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:17 pm

holy crap :o
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Friggin sweet. Thanks, jbi!
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Vrock; no need for an appointment, just a vacation :lol: Work gets crazy. I'd say I tie it on about once a month to maybe 2 months, but I always feel a little guilty for doing so.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:08 pm

ludi wrote:
Vrock wrote:
Perhaps a hunter could explain to me the thrill of killing a large, dumb, blunt-horned herbivore. I've never understood it.

Correction: large, smart, delicious herbivore.

*Snort* Smart? I've seen deer walk across a live rifle range without a care in the world. Deer are a lot of things, but smart isn't one of them.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Vrock wrote:
*Snort* Smart? I've seen deer walk across a live rifle range without a care in the world. Deer are a lot of things, but smart isn't one of them.

Down in NoVa where there isn't as much (if any) hunting pressure, I'd agree. Come to someplace like Vermont or Colorado, where deer hunting is so engrained in the culture that hunting pressure is fierce (honestly, there's no point in working during the 2-week rifle season as EVERYONE is at camp) and you'll find whitetails (VT) and muleys/whitetails (CO) to be some of the smartest and most skittish game animals on the planet. It all gets down to environment.

EDIT: If you can find a copy, this is a great read/view.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:08 pm

New Job! Engineer at Medtronic.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:21 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:

Hey congrats, I'm actually somewhat familiar with them.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 am

My wife's cat decided to drink from the toilet...while I was taking my morning leak. I now have a very wet, kind of smelly, and very angry cat. I guess he didn't watch ghostbusters....don't cross the stream!

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 am

SpotTheCat wrote:

Cool beans!
Any idea what you'll be working on? Any projects they said you'd be attached to?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:07 am

I've got a friend that works for Medtronic. Does spinal cord monitoring for spinal surgeries. Their IT stuff is pretty out of whack from what he says. Hopefully you can help there.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:37 am

cool! the medical technology field is pretty cool. I get to dabble in it every once in a while as a pc tech at a hospital. We always get asked to fix things waaay outside of our scope, which is pretty cool (sometimes.)

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:15 am

SpotTheCat wrote:

Congratulations on your new job! I'm curious what you'll be working on as well.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:15 am

Drinks on Spot! :D

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Down in NoVa where there isn't as much (if any) hunting pressure, I'd agree. Come to someplace like Vermont or Colorado, where deer hunting is so engrained in the culture that hunting pressure is fierce (honestly, there's no point in working during the 2-week rifle season as EVERYONE is at camp) and you'll find whitetails (VT) and muleys/whitetails (CO) to be some of the smartest and most skittish game animals on the planet. It all gets down to environment.

Actually, I don't live in NOVA. The traffic, cost of living, and politics there are three reasons why.

I live in the Shenandoah Valley, in a small town where hunting is very much a part of the culture. At my building, we have people who put in vacation months ahead of time so they can hit the start of bow season, or muzzleloader season, or what have you. Maybe the deer are just stupid down here, I dunno. We sure do have alot of them, I know that much. I can drive down a 10 mile stretch of I-64 at dusk and see 20-30 deer grazing on the side of the highway. Somebody should reintroduce cougars here.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Cougars are on their way back across their former range. Purportedly, the reintroduction of wolf and cougar really does change the behavior of the prey animals pretty significantly within a couple of generations.

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Vrock wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Vrock wrote:

Actually, I don't live in NOVA. The traffic, cost of living, and politics there are three reasons why.

I live in the Shenandoah Valley, in a small town where hunting is very much a part of the culture. At my building, we have people who put in vacation months ahead of time so they can hit the start of bow season, or muzzleloader season, or what have you. Maybe the deer are just stupid down here, I dunno. We sure do have alot of them, I know that much. I can drive down a 10 mile stretch of I-64 at dusk and see 20-30 deer grazing on the side of the highway. Somebody should reintroduce cougars here.

The deer in Virginia are absolutely crazy. I drive down US 20 mainly at night and there are so many then. Quantico is even worse though. I was on base with a friend about a year ago and saw 4 deer on a 5 minute drive from the gate to some buildings. Went to the rifle range and saw deer and a wild turkey casually walking around and grazing at the end of the range, right next to the targets.
They also come right into our back yard all the time. I'm trying to do my part as I've gotten one with my van, but that was kind of expensive last time.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Hmm, must be our respective populations are different. I live on the highways (day job) and am lucky to see 1 deer per month, though I have 2 in "car season" since I took this job 16 years ago (never saw either before it bounced off the grille after killing the radiator; $4K both times).

Turkeys are much more prevalent than deer for me while on the roads. For me the best place to see deer is my backyard, as they've figured out the range of Oliver's (the dog) invisible fence collar and stand just 10 feet beyond while he barks and howls (he's got a lot of beagle/hound in his mutt) to no avail. That is not the mark of a stupid animal, as I can watch them come up out of the gully and wait at that one spot. When I let Oliver out they don't move an inch. If I show myself at the door where they can see me, they instantly scatter.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:37 pm

If only the skunks knew the "stay 10 feet away" trick.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:43 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
If only the skunks knew the "stay 10 feet away" trick.

For that it's not the skunks, it's the dog. All 3 of this summer's skunkings happened within the perimeter (namely under the back deck).

EDIT: The idiot dog in question:

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:58 pm

He doesn't look stupid or guilty in that photo...
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:09 am

FireGryphon wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:

Congratulations on your new job! I'm curious what you'll be working on as well.

Thanks guys! I will be working on cardiac lead design. It's a lot of regulatory compliance and failure modes and effects analysis type stuff.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:49 pm

It wasn't the best-lit intersection, but I'm about 87.3% certain I saw a '98 Civic equipped with truck balls.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:54 pm

ludi wrote:
It wasn't the best-lit intersection, but I'm about 87.3% certain I saw a '98 Civic equipped with truck balls.

I'm surprised that you found a Civic with a trailer hitch.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Follow the balled Civic and you'll probably find a crotch rocket. 8)

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 am

BiffStroganoffsky wrote:
Follow the balled Civic and you'll probably find a crotch rocket. 8)

truth
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:41 am

the flu should be painfully eradicated. I've been dealing with it since Monday and am ready to either die or be better now.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:28 pm

i feel human and my GURPS group is planning a firefly session tomorrow and I'll be helping the local zoo otu again with the annual Halloween celebration this weekend before my work trip.

That said, right now I'm listenign to Doc Watson and drinking Texas Crown mixed into soda. I do not like thel iqour but mixed with dr pepper it's all right. By itself it taste watery and bitter.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:33 am

Well... it appears that we may be screwed on Monday:

Unlike in Florida, our flimsy matchstick houses here in NY aren't really designed to be "hurricane-proof"...
:o
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:24 am

JohnC wrote:
Well... it appears that we may be screwed on Monday:[...]

Unlike in Florida, our flimsy matchstick houses here in NY aren't really designed to be "hurricane-proof"...

I always wondered why US houses are so flimsy.....especially in areas affected by tornados and hurricans. Why not make them out of sturdy materials? If not do something innovative like dom houses or something. Do you really prefer just to rebuild every time?
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:36 am

Well, NY/NJ areas aren't really supposed to be affected by hurricanes so there was no need to build reinforced houses (like in Florida)...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people