Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Logitech M325

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:13 pm

I think I have a new favorite mouse: The Logitech M325. Same compact contoured shape as the older M305, but with an improved scrollwheel. The default button mappings for the tilt wheel are different (forward/back instead of side-scroll) but that's not necessarily worse, just different. (And if I decide the different tilt wheel mappings annoy me I can change them...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Logitech M325

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 pm

I am a big fan of Logitech, and really like the Logitech Unifying Nano-receiver. Thumbs up!

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Wouldn't you know it, less than a week after I ordered one off of Newegg, Staples has them on sale for $19.99! :-?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Wouldn't you know it, less than a week after I ordered one off of Newegg, Staples has them on sale for $19.99! :-?
I was just about to mention that -- and that sale has been going on for several weeks, actually. In fact last week I picked up an m510 for $29.99 (I have long fingers, so I prefer the shape to the 325 -- but kudos to Staples for having them all out on display where you can actually handle them). The 705 was also on sale for $39.99, and while I found the switch to change the scroll-wheel mode (free-spinning or "notchy") potentially valuable, it wasn't $10 valuable to me.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:19 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
I was just about to mention that -- and that sale has been going on for several weeks, actually.

Damn. :oops:

Guess I will have to make a habit of always checking Staples first when I need a mouse!

Edit: Regarding the scroll wheel -- although the 325's wheel has detents, they are very light and much more closely spaced than on most scroll wheels. I think the wheel may also be weighted. Give it one good flick with your middle finger and it will spin enough to scroll all the way to the bottom of a full page of the dymt thread! :wink:

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:32 pm

One minor nit with the M325: They've moved the optical sensor on the underside of the mouse from the right side of the mouse to the left. This might seem like a completely trivial difference, but it is actually taking a little getting used to. Without even being aware of it, over the past couple of years I had apparently conditioned myself to make small vertical mouse movements using just the ring finger of my right hand (without moving my entire hand). This was great as long as the sensor was on the right side of the mouse. With the sensor on the left, this no longer works; the cursor moves in more of an E-NE/W-SW direction instead of nearly straight up/down.

I suppose lefties might appreciate the change though...