Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

KingRidley
Gerbil
Topic Author

PC immediately resumes sleep mode after being woken up

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:00 am

Hi there, I'm having a weird problem where my PC goes right back into sleep mode after I wake it up.

What happens is that after I wake it up from full on sleep mode (inactivity for a while, requires more than wiggling the mouse to wake it up), it acts normal for a second (mouse responds, monitor works fine) but then immediately goes into a 'soft sleep' where the monitor stops receiving input and the screen goes dark. Wiggling the mouse brings it back, but it'll sometimes do this two or three times before it stays awake.

Here's the weirdest part. Sometimes other programs set it off. As in when I try to play a song in winamp, clicking 'play' or 'pause' sets off sleep mode. In that instance I tried closing winamp and restarting the program, but when it came back up none of my music would play so I restarted the PC.

I'm using a windows 7 desktop PC. It was built by Dell and refurbished. I can get any other needed hardware information if you tell me specifically what will be important.

So far I've tried updating drivers through the device manager, scanning for a virus, and restarting. Restarting takes care of the problem for a short while.

Thanks and I hope I can help you help me!

KingRidley
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: PC immediately resumes sleep mode after being woken up

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:11 pm

So I started a full system scan earlier today but it turns out it never finished. This is because as soon as I left home today, my PC resumed sleep mode. It also tried to re-enter sleep mode three times when I got home.

Like the screen wakes up, then instantly dims to black three times in a row. I assume this is a hardware problem but if it's in the wrong board I guess that makes sense.

It's just that this thing, while refurbished, was like $500 and I would be very irritated if this is something they could have prevented.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Rather than updating drivers through Device Manager, try going to the web site of the manufacturer of each component and downloading the drivers manually. The drivers available through Device Manager can be months (or even years) out of date.

Or go to Dell's site and see what drivers they have for your model. While they may still be somewhat outdated they are probably newer than what Device Manager will find.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Did you try disabling all possible sleep mode capabilities in the Windows Power Management applet? If you do that and the problem goes away, it's probably driver-related, or possibly a sticky front-panel button on the case.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

KingRidley
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:33 pm

just brew it!:
I'll try doing that. I just need to pull of the specs of my hardware (I guess) and google the manufacturer?

Ludi:
Just turned all of those off, and the PC still does it.

The test I'm using involves winamp again. Basically pressing play, pause, stop, or any of the controlling buttons in winamp sets off the sleep problem. Which is really weird.

I'll work on getting the drivers updated, but in the meantime are there any other ideas?

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:51 am

It is possible that ACPI circutary/firmware is FUBAR on the motherboard, but this is very unlikely if the problem is a recent development.

I suspect the problem is that system is detecting a "slight" keystroke or mouse-click which by default wakes up a system. It is one of the first signs that keyboard/mouse is going south. You can disabled this by going to device manager => keyboard/mouse settings => disable device wakes-up.

Do you have wake-on-LAN enabled? If so, that may explain it as well. Any LAN activity will wake-up the system (this feature is meant for waking up remote servers)
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:23 am

@Krogoth - The problem is that the system is going to sleep unexpectedly, not that it is waking up unexpectedly.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 am

Are you already past the time window for the Dell refurbished hardware warranty?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

KingRidley
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:51 am

Ludi: I believe that I am, but I will double check. However, I will not be able to send my PC away for any length of time if they want to fix it because I am working on a large number of time sensitive school projects.

Every time I restart the PC the problem goes away for a while. I'll pay attention and see if I can determine what exactly is setting it off. But so far there is no discernible pattern.

I am also still working on updating the drivers, but due to the school projects I don't have as much time as I need to look for them. I did finish my virus scan and Microsoft Security Essentials turned up two Java exploits that were promptly deleted. The names for those are Exploit:Java/CVE-2012-4681.SV and Exploit:Java/CVE-2012-4681.SW

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:57 pm

Okay, have you tried disabling all sleep-mode options and then restarting? Maybe you have a device or driver that is playing badly with power management, and it begins malfunctioning the first time the computer tries to resume from sleep mode.

Also, if you can find your way into the BIOS, there might be some funky options lurking there, as well.

KingRidley
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Okay so today when I got home, this happened:

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/8334/20121024212205.jpg

Does this help you guys out?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:52 am

That would be this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

Try opening the Event Viewer and see if you can find recent warnings that might point to a specific device or driver. At minimum, you've probably still got either a lingering virus, or a serious driver problem.

Besides Security Essentials, have you run a Malwarebytes scan yet, and have you tried installing a third-party antivirus program? I've generally had good luck with Avast, although you have to pay close attention to what you're clicking as they really, really want you to upgrade from the free version.

KingRidley
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:40 am

Running malwarebytes now.

I'm looking into the event viewer for any problems, and there are a lot of things that might be the cause and a lot that might not. While I am trying to learn through assistance every time my computer has a problem, this is an area where I'm still very uninformed. I'll list a few of the major errors:

"The print spooler failed to load a plug-in module C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\UNIDRVUI.DLL, error code 0xc1. See the event user data for context information."

Listed right before the reboot/blue screen:
"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000e1 (0xfffff800033bf560, 0x0000000000000002, 0xfffffa8011b3dbf0, 0xfffffa8011b3dbf0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 102412-18205-01."

So two other brief questions while I sift through these.

1. Is there a program that can tell me which of my drivers are out of date automatically? I'm probably looking right at some of them but I just don't speak the language.
2. Is there a way to export the event logs for other people to view? That is, if anyone wants to take the time to look through my logs.

And thanks so much for the help, guys. I'm really appreciating the assistance.

edit:

Okay I looked at the windows update service thing and it says there were 6 optional updates available that didn't turn up anywhere else. I'm running those now, and I'll restart and give the PC a while to display the problem again. In the meantime, I'll still keep looking around for other problems.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Run memtest, if you don't have stable memory you're hosed.

KingRidley
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:34 am

Very brief update.

After performing all the 'optional' driver updates suggested by the system, the PC is still having the sleep problem (though less frequently, I think). Malwarebytes got rid of one tracking cookie and that was all it found.

Also the event viewer doesn't show anything obvious, or even all that likely as being a source of the problem. So far the only thing that helps is restarting the PC.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:31 pm

KingRidley wrote:
Very brief update.

After performing all the 'optional' driver updates suggested by the system, the PC is still having the sleep problem (though less frequently, I think). Malwarebytes got rid of one tracking cookie and that was all it found.

Also the event viewer doesn't show anything obvious, or even all that likely as being a source of the problem. So far the only thing that helps is restarting the PC.

To reiterate notfred's question: have you run Memtest? And if so, what was the result?

Memtest won't catch every problem that bad memory can create, but if it throws more than one or two random errors in a few hundred passes, you've definitely got a problem that will corrupt everything else in the system.

joselillo_25
Gerbil

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:15 am

I usually had the same problem, specially in the morning. My mother solved it punching me with her slippers while screaming rude words.

It works like a charm.

KingRidley
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:17 am

I'm going to run it very soon, I just need to burn it to a CD or figure out how to run that program without one.

KingRidley
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:47 am

I let this run for a while today, and it got through 6 tests that all came back fine before I had to reboot the computer (because five hours had passed and I needed it for homework). When it restarted, I soon encountered another blue screen but now the PC is working fine.

I'll need to keep paying attention because I'm not sure it's still doing the sleep problem anymore. Or if it is, the 'triggers' seem to be different. I think maybe the driver updates did help with something.

Do you guys think I should let memtest finish scanning ALL of my memory? I can set it to scan before I go to bed, I just had no idea it was going to take so long.

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:59 am

Hows temperatures and such? You could try running something like Prime95 and stress test the machine, together with Open Hardware Monitor or HWMonitor, to monitor heat.

Also, maybe I missed it, but do you have any peripherals connected, like USB and such? Or any discrete cards in the machine?
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive

KingRidley
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:35 am

Temperatures are fine.

I have a USB keyboard and mouse connected but that's about it.

Actually it has been a few days since my screen has done the blackout thing. Something along the line here (probably a few somethings) has had an effect.

What I'll do is bookmark this topic in case it happens again but for right now I think you guys figured it out. So thanks a ton, everyone!

My Johnson
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:50 am

Power management issues are indicative of hardware/software incompatibility. A software update could possibly fix the problem, but only if the problem is known by manufacturer. Try some the tips provided by the previous posters, but I suggest destroying in place and rebuilding. Make sure your CMOS settings are correct before beginning OS install.

TL;DR: Good luck.

KingRidley
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:34 pm

So I'm back.

PC was fine for a while, but now what it does is basically go into blue screen every other time it enters sleep mode. I wake it up, and it hits blue screen.

So if I need to reinstall the OS (which I would rather not do, but if I have to then I will) I have one concern. This is a refurbished Dell PC that arrived with the OS already installed. If I need to wipe everything and start over, how do I get Windows 7 back onto the PC without going out and buying it again?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Did it come with the standard Dell recovery partition? If so, you can buy a totally-legit Win7 image from Digital River for about $12 and reinstall from that.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

KingRidley
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:39 am

I think it did, I'll look around and if I can't find it then $12 is not unreasonable.

I'm looking into the event viewer again, and while I can see each instance where the crash occurs I can't find anything that looks like it would have caused it. One event is listed as such:
Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date: 11/18/2012 10:05:17 AM
Event ID: 10
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: MININT-1HBAHE5
Description:
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WMI" Guid="{1edeee53-0afe-4609-b846-d8c0b2075b1f}" EventSourceName="WinMgmt" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-18T15:05:17.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>7954</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>MININT-1HBAHE5</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>//./root/CIMV2</Data>
<Data>SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage &gt; 99</Data>
<Data>0x80041003</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>"

And that's really the only likely looking one out of four events that directly preceded the crash.

Also I've turned off sleep mode to see what that does for the problem. As a temporary solution.