Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

FSM 270

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:23 am

Hey guys,

I saw that article that Scott wrote about those new korean IPS panels. A regular 27" costs ~$250 so the extra 80 dollars is probably worth it. But I want to know if anyone else out there has bought one for gaming. Anyone had an experience gaming with these?

Fergywan
Gerbil In Training

Re: FSM 270

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:05 pm

I currently have 2 of these monitors. One is a Yamkasi Catleap 2703 and the other is a Achieva Shimian. I have not used these much, and while they're limited on the inputs and user settings, the games have looked and played amazing so far. You just have to make sure your graphics card can handle the higher resolutions to get the most out of the monitor, with a Dual-DVI connection.

I guess it really depends on what games you are looking at playing and what kind of hardware you got.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:23 pm

well im either buying a 8350 or a 3570k, 8gigs of ram, regular hdd (for now) and either a 7950 black or 660ti.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:44 pm

okay i'd like to mention this, because i think its flippin awesome

I ordered this monitor from Korea on Friday afternoon. i received it Monday morning. i ordered my newegg parts at the same time. they will arrive tomorrow. from California to Oregon in... 6 days. from Korea to Alaska, to Memphis, to Portland to Corvallis in... 3 days. he even put a thank you card with a heart on it. THAT'S service. assuming this monitor works, i'm pretty pumped up so far.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:55 pm

shaq_mobile wrote:
okay i'd like to mention this, because i think its flippin awesome

I ordered this monitor from Korea on Friday afternoon. i received it Monday morning. i ordered my newegg parts at the same time. they will arrive tomorrow. from California to Oregon in... 6 days. from Korea to Alaska, to Memphis, to Portland to Corvallis in... 3 days. he even put a thank you card with a heart on it. THAT'S service. assuming this monitor works, i'm pretty pumped up so far.

Heh, yeah. Mine (Achieva Shimian) came equally silly distances in five working days.

Gaming on it is very good and unless you have a 120Hz heavily-overdriven panel you're not going to notice any kind of motion-blur. On a tracking test, the most noticable high-contrast blur is about 1/4 the length of a frame interval - which puts the visible pixel response at about 4ms. The 6MS grey-to-grey is less important to me, because it's generally far less obvious than the high-contrast stuff.

It sounds like you'll be able to see for yourself soon, oh, and the 7950 is working great at 2560x1440, btw.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:30 pm

awesome. i was a little worried, i get a bit snobby about inconsistent framerate when i'm playing fps. good to hear that the 7950 can handle that res. what games are you playing on it?