Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Did anyone Preorder Surface?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:43 am

I preordered Surface RT 32gb with touch cover on release date. Was promised delivery by the 26th. Which is tomorrow.
It hasn't even shipped yet. And when you contact Microsoft they give you generic prepared statements on how they will arrive on time, and never check the actual order information.
I am not one to get mad before something happens, but I will be upset if I am sitting around tomorrow waiting for nothing.

Curious if anyone else preordered and if theirs has shipped.
I am in PA and I heard from some other sites that they actually have a warehouse somewhere near harrisburg. Which means mine would not tech ship till tonight but who knows.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Did anyone Preorder Surface?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:46 am

There is also a good chance the automated system burdened with the task of emailing and updating information to customers isn't working quite right.

I'm thinking about making a Surface a Christmas present for myself. I'd like an x86 one though...
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:27 pm

These kind of devices... I wait for reviews...

And yeah... only the x86 variant interests me.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

replay
Gerbil

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:26 pm

I'm in the same boat, Spartan. I pre-ordered as soon as it became available. 64GB w/ Touchcover. It said it would be available on/before 26th, I have yet to receive any updates to notify me it's shipped. I'm not happy about it. I'm hoping they just didn't properly update an email, but it is still on the way for an on-time delivery.

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:03 pm

Well if you take you order # from microsoft and remove the MS you can search it on fedex.com using reference number search.
Though mine says it will be delivered the 29th now.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:08 pm

No, I didn't and wouldn't, even if I was in the market for a new tablet.

Because it is Microsoft, and Microsoft hasn't done well with prior mobile devices. And because Microsoft is cramming RT down the throats of its desktop users.

Not cool, not friendly. Behavior like this often portends future treatment.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:12 pm

BIF wrote:

Because it is Microsoft, and Microsoft hasn't done well with prior mobile devices. And because Microsoft is cramming RT down the throats of its desktop users.

I'll never understand why people insist on emotional reasoning when considering tools. People laughed at the Galaxy Note too- I bought it (when looking for something else!) when I found in person that it wasn't as big or as heavy as it looked, and that it fit in normal pockets just fine. I expect that if there is a niche for Surface, whether we're aware of it today or not, it will sell well. It IS nice hardware, after all.

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:36 am

BIF wrote:

This comment leads me to believe you know nothing about this topic.
Microsoft cannot cram RT down the throats of desktop users. Because it isn't an x86 os. This is made for mobile PCS only
The Metro UI is available on windows 8, if that is what you mean. But is is not forced.
The surface from a hardware standpoint has gotten the highest reviews from everyone who has touched it.
The biggest problem with it so far was it doesn't have a ton of apps and that some software is still working out the bugs.