Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

FalconZex
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Please Help

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:19 am

Hello

My PC Specs which I bought a week ago: (Nothing is Overclocked)
Asus Maximus V GENE
Radeon HD 7850 2GB
RAM G.Skill 8GB 1600Mhz
Intel i5 3570k
PSU Cooler Master Thunder 600W

Today, I was playing a game, usually I have around 60-75 FPS in it but as I joined a new map at a place my FPS dropped to 15 as I continued to stay there to play, my PC suddenly hanged and showed a blue screen and then I quickly closed my PC.

So, after that I started my PC in a bit and I was getting freezed on Asus Bios Logo, tried another time and pressed DEL to go to Bios, it went there but again hanged in a sec. I tried again after 10-15 mins and it got ahead and went to blinking cursor on top left.

After 30mins, I restarted again and it freezed at BIOS Logo again I pressed the restart button and somehow it started, I haven't tried doing anything else with my PC and not yet did a restart again.

So, please guide me if I shut down my PC again and turn on will that happen again? Why did this all happen ? Is everything perfect now or do I need to worry about something?

Thanks

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Please Help

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:26 am

Check your CPU & GPU fans. Sounds like an overheating problem to me. Bet there's a big dust bunny in the box.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

FalconZex
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:28 am

Dust could be a rare case as it has been just a week of it getting assembled. Can it got overheated due to that game? but still why did it showed those problems I mentioned above. Still Do I need to worry?

Please be detailed

FalconZex
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Please Guide

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:29 am

Hello

I've just assembled a new PC so I'm willing to know what would be the Idle Temperatures and Temperatures while gaming at high settings of my components. (You may consider my room temperature to be pretty hot during summers, but currently its winters and it seems cold enough)

Asus Maximus V GENE
Sapphire HD 7850 2GB
Intel i5 3570k (Please, give temps for both package and cores individually)

Note: Nothing is overclocked, no special cooling(stock fans on components), 1 stock case exhaust fan at rear(120mm) and 1 intake front fan(120mm)

Played few games, the gpu goes around 50c max(saw once) and cpu 67c(package)

Thanks

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:32 am

Do you know for sure that the fans are spinning? Can you hear them?

Also is it possible that the heat sink is not mounted correctly? Especially if you used the push-pin type mounting hardware, either with the stock heat sink or with some 3rd party heat sinks.

Go to cpuid.com and download HWMonitor. It'll tell you about temps.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:33 am

Freezes like that are almost always hardware-related. Since it's a new box the dust bunnies won't be an issue but RAM might be. As much as I hate the usual thing 'round here that says Memtest86 is your first stop, in this case it's the right step.

http://www.memtest86.com

Burn it as an ISO to a CD or copy it to a bootable flash drive and run it overnight. Plenty of instructions on the Memtest site.

EDIT: The temps you listed in your other thread are no cause for worry. That said, spraying threads all over the forums for the same problem is not a Good Idea.

Thanks for listening.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Please Guide

Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:35 am

Merged into original problem thread.

FalconZex
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:04 pm

I've played a few games like NFS Hot Pursuit, Sleeping Dogs, GTA4 etc at Max settings, but it didnt lagged anywhere.

But as I said in my main post today I was playing a game in which I went into a new map(1st time never went there) and there my FPS was normal but as I proceed to a specific place my FPS dropped to 15-20 and as out of that place FPS came normal. So all this thing happened when I stayed at that low FPS area (Could it be due to that CPU worked more during that low FPS and got it temps to high to get hanged and freezing issues until it got normal?)

Right now, I'm on my PC as I said on my main post so if I restart/shutdown will I be all good? or the same thing will happen again? Do I need to worry or all this was just for a bit due to overheating. Please please be in detail.

Thanks

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:24 pm

OK, the first time in a new map explains the FPS drop, but it does not explain hardware freezes. Since a new map means lots of I/O to RAM, it's time to test the RAM to make sure it's not broken. That's what MemTest does and it does it better than anything else. Go to that website and follow the instructions. Let it run overnight.

FalconZex
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:34 pm

ok i will test with that memtest but if any of my hardware was broken was it possible to operate my pc right now? As I said in my main post after 30mins it froze at bios logo but when i restarted with restart button it got past it and my pc started and its turned on till now. So, does this give u any new info?

ALSO, please tell me if i restart my pc or shut it down will I be able to turn it on again?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:45 pm

FalconZex wrote:
ok i will test with that memtest but if any of my hardware was broken was it possible to operate my pc right now? As I said in my main post after 30mins it froze at bios logo but when i restarted with restart button it got past it and my pc started and its turned on till now. So, does this give u any new info?

ALSO, please tell me if i restart my pc or shut it down will I be able to turn it on again?

A: Intermittent hardware problems are a bitch. RAM issues are always intermittent.

B: No way to tell until you do it. Sorry, but chasing problems like these is not a black/white yes/no process. There are simply too many variables and too many potential problems to be definitive at this point.

credible
Gerbil XP

Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello, did you by chance install that new beta driver from AMD for the hd7850, I had got some intermittent bs with the driver.

Go and grab this free d/l and let it check your crash dump files and tell everyone here what it came up with.

Its called WhoCrashed 4.00.

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

If you did install the beta driver I'll bet thats the cause, revert back to 12.10.

FalconZex
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:12 pm

I haven't updated/downloaded anything, Please, tell me as Captain Med said that I should check my RAM. But, Please confirm me about that later could the problem can be due to Motherboard, Graphics Card or CPU (Please read all of my above posts to know whats my situation currently)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:58 pm

FalconZex wrote:
I haven't updated/downloaded anything, Please, tell me as Captain Med said that I should check my RAM. But, Please confirm me about that later could the problem can be due to Motherboard, Graphics Card or CPU (Please read all of my above posts to know whats my situation currently)

The problem could be many things. Your problem is that you want to identify a problem without running sufficient tests to diagnose the problem. Without the tests there's no way to say what the problem might be.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Before you run memtest. Since the computer is so new i would double check all connections from the psu. Also remove and reseat you mem and video sticks/card. Cannot tell you how many times i have seen a video card not seated properly...well about 5-7 times thats alot:)

Also does the computer case have good airflow??? does the heat have a way to escape and allow fresh air in?

Also make sure that cpui heatsink is properly seated as previously mentioned.
Good Luck

I just saw that you have a 120mm intake and 1 120mm exhaust fan. If your case has a side panel fan opening i highly rec you add it. It will help tremendously with gpu and cpu cooling.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:09 pm

Yup, poorly seated video card or RAM are common issues.

Is that 8 GB a pair of 4 GB sticks, or 4x 2 GB? If it is 4 DIMMs, try removing two of them (run just one stick per channel). If it runs stable with half of the RAM, that's a big clue (marginal RAM or marginal timings that don't work well with 2 sticks per channel).

You're just going to need to work by process of elimination. If re-seating components and Memtest don't turn up anything, you may need to borrow spare components from someone, or see if you can test your components in a friend's machine.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.