Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2001 9:27 pm

Home sweet home. :smile:
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 27, 2001 9:34 pm

Heh. :smile:

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2001 10:02 pm

Looks like my venture into linux just hit a big snag. The HD on my test PC with Mandrake 8.1 on it just died. It says no operating system can be found. The drive just clicks :sad:

Splotto
Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2001 10:22 pm

Clicking is usually the sure sign of a dead drive. :sad:

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2001 10:38 pm

Certainly sounds dead.

Go look for good deals on ancient drives. With enough RAM around, Linux will cache everything important, so you can get by with a much crappier hard disk than you'd need to run Windows nicely.

My Linux dedicated hack box is running a Bigfoot, for rice sake, and I'd classify it as a high end desktop.

Splotto
Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2001 11:29 pm

Forge:

Do you go to the PLUG meetings? Subscribe to the PLUG list?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2001 11:32 pm

Ohh, no. Didn't even occur to me to look into the PLUG. I've been thinking of starting a KOPLUG, though, as Philly proper is quite a haul.

Splotto
Gerbil

Thu Dec 27, 2001 11:35 pm

The meetings are not always in Philly. Some times it's in West Chester.

The list is very helpful.

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 27, 2001 11:45 pm

Anybody wanna moderate this one?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2001 11:46 pm

:smile:

champs
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:28 am

No offense, but I have my doubts that this one will be any less bigoted than the other UN*X forums. I don't know why I quit tinkering with Linux after I got great help like this...

LocalYokel: <I>I can't seem to solve (intermediate level problem) with (common package). The best I get is an error message about (something impertinent to problem). I've read the HOWTO, the man pages, and (popular distribution's) support site, but have not been able to make it work. When it didn't, I tried (related troubleshooting), and have even gone as far as editing the source code to fix a typo in the command line arguments, but nothing seems to work. Can anyone help?</I>

Unix Jerk: <I>Did you RTFM?</I>

LocalYokel: <I>Yes, I did. In fact, I have since wiped the system clean, reinstalled (distribution), made sure that (problem package) and everything related was installed, repeated the HOWTO, reread the man page, and it still doesn't work.</I>

Unix Poseur: <I>your such an idiot why dont you RTFM!!1</I>

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:33 am

OK, Forge. You're the moderator. Prove Yokel wrong. :smile:

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:39 am

Yokel - I bet they were Debian users. They tend to get a lot more tech support work than other distros due to the decentralized layout, and they tend to be VERY RTFM-prone and snobbish. If you'd like, I can go make them feel miserable for you. :smile:

Damage - Thanks! I'll do my best.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:46 am

Of course, Slackware gurus have that rep, too, but I've met far fewer of them and feel that I really shouldn't comment.

nachoman
Gerbil In Training

Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:29 am

Ok, so I'll be the first to ask real questions here, hope you Linux h4x0rz can help out...

1) what's RTFM?

2) how do I set the refresh rate of my monitor in KDE?

3) how do I know what's installed where after I do an RPM install?

4) what's "xmessage" and where do I get it?

5) how come, even after I edit fstab to mount an NTFS drive and make it user mountable, the user really can mount it, but access is denied to the mounted folder for anyone except root?

6) don't tell me you have to mount and unmount every time you need to insert a new floppy or CD?

As you can see, I spent all of 30 minutes researching linux before installing it, which is really a lot for me - especially since I really have no compelling reason to switch from Windows (other than boredom and the thrill of risking a format of my HD during the install) =P.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 1:54 am

1) what's RTFM?

Read The Funking Manual.

2) how do I set the refresh rate of my monitor in KDE?

You don't do it in KDE, you do it in XFree86 itself, and that washes over to GNOME/KDE/other WMs. It's not horribly simple, but I can probably walk you through it. If you're serious, post your graphics card and monitor info here, as mucha s you can find. Better - start a new thread with that info and ask just this one question.

3) how do I know what's installed where after I do an RPM install?

That's why I hate RPM. I believe RPM has an 'info' command, try 'rpm --help' and look for something like that. If you know at least one of the file names that you are lookign for, you can do 'updatedb' as root and then use 'locate <filename> to find the file.

4) what's "xmessage" and where do I get it?

You know, I'm not entirely sure. I can tell you how to find out, though. Go to http://www.freshrpms.net and type in 'xmessage'. That should: A. Find out what it is, and B. get you a link to a version that'll work on your particular Linux. Mixing versions of the same distro is usually safe, but not recommended, and mixing RPMs from different distros is hit or miss and also not recommended.

5) how come, even after I edit fstab to mount an NTFS drive and make it user mountable, the user really can mount it, but access is denied to the mounted folder for anyone except root?

Probably a permissions issue. Do a 'man chown' and 'man chmod' for more info on the permissions setting programs.

Most likely you need a 'chown someuser /place/you/mounted'

I use 'chown forge /dos/e/', but your command will likely be different.

6) don't tell me you have to mount and unmount every time you need to insert a new floppy or CD?

There are ways around it, but you'll probably find you'll use CDs less and less, ditto for floppies. Depends on your distro, too. I personally use scripts I wrote named 'flopup' and 'flopdown' to mount/unmount my floppy. I'm always using the same options and locations, so it was easy. Make a separate post for this and I can give you some scripting basics (mostly because I'm not a master scripter myself, either! :smile: )

As you can see, I spent all of 30 minutes researching linux before installing it, which is really a lot for me - especially since I really have no compelling reason to switch from Windows (other than boredom and the thrill of risking a format of my HD during the install) =P.

Sounds like you were impressed.... or bored. :smile:

Either way, welcome aboard and fire away.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 2:01 am

Whoops. FreshRPMs.net is a very good site, and probably helpful, but I meant to put http://www.rpmfind.net .

Specifically, go here for a search 'xmessage' - http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/s ... y=xmessage

If you're interested, Debian has a really, really slick set of tools for packages. It's harder to install, but it stays current easily, and makes a lot of little jobs much easier.

For example:

In Red Hat we would follow the above steps:

Find needed program or package name.

Go to helpful web site.

download package.

Tell rpm to install package.

Pray we have all the stuff that package depends on, or start over from step one with the first dependency.

In Debian you can do:

Find needed program.

apt-cache search program (all offline, very fast)

apt-get install package

And you're done!

It is quite a booger to install on some machines, though, so it may be something to check out much later.

Good luck!

nachoman
Gerbil In Training

Fri Dec 28, 2001 2:48 am

Forge, thanks for the great reply!

Actually, I got Mandrake because it was said to be the easiest to install; I think it makes more sense to get a feel for the OS before worrying about updating it.

About the refresh rate, if its such a big deal, then don't worry about it - besides, I'm ashamed to mention my video card (<small>GeForce 256</small>) in public.

About my problem with mounting NTFS - I tried both chmod and chown as you said, but the problem is that as soon as the drive is mounted, the ownership goes back to root and the permissions go back to blocking everyone else. I suppose I could just log in as "root" all of the time, but the folks at Mandrake went out of their way to make the background blood-red to warn you that you shouldn't do that.

I really do like what I see in Linux, though - it's an amazing piece of code, especially if you consider that there's no single company directing the effort. The only major obstacle for me in adopting Linux completely is having to learn a new set of APIs, when I spent so much time learning how to program for Windows (hoping WINE can help me with that).

kleenux
Gerbil In Training

Fri Dec 28, 2001 3:00 am

Just figured I'd mention that the command to view what files are installed in an RPM is:

rpm -ql <package name>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kleenux on 2001-12-28 02:00 ]</font>

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 5:02 am

Wine is severely kickass at what it does, but I tend to agree with Loki's point of view. To paraphrase: If you can run a Windows binary on Linux and Windows equally well, what incentive do you have to write a proper Linux binary?

It's that chicken-and-egg situation again. Without users, no one will write Linux games. Without games, there won't be enough users to warrant a port.

For non-gaming apps, though, Wine is a godsend. For anything graphically or multimedia intensive, I really like Transgaming's WineX ( http://www.transgaming.com ). 5 bucks a month got me 3Dmark 2000 running under Debian (with a proper .deb package, no less!), and that was pretty cool poope. I'll have to run it again soon and post the score to ORB for everyone.

On a GF3 vanilla and SMP Athlon 1.2, I scored something in the high 5K's. In Windows that's a fair to poor score for that hardware, but it's right in line with the mainstream system, so I suppose it works out in the end. :smile:

champs
Gerbil First Class

Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:57 pm

I don't think that Slack people are particularly bad, but the Debian bigotry allegation is a fair cop.

I'll hold some reserved optimism, but I'm not holding my breath.