Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Getting a Smartphone

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:19 am

So, I'm thinking about getting the Samsung Galaxy Nexus through Wirefly.com. $30 for the phone and it also includes a dock as well through Wirefly.com versus $50 and nothing through VerizonWireless.com.

I'm going with the Nexus over the SIII because I just don't have the money to put down on the SIII.

Opinions?
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Getting a Smartphone

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:28 am

My opinion is go for it.....if you are sure you like Android. When I got into the phone market I had a choice between IOS and Android...that was about it. Windows 7 phone was just on the horizon and I could tell it wasn't quite ready yet. I tested out both systems, and choose Android. However, in today's market I am not so sure I would do the same. I honestly love the Windows 8 operating system for a phone. It is nice, and while it takes a bit to get use to (just as any new OS) I find that the OS itself feels more "bullet proof" than Android. Android at times feels flaky and has poor management over resource allocation. Granted, if you test out all platforms and still come up Android than you have found yourself a great deal (as the next Google phone does not look like a crazy step forward). Just saying this so you do not have regret.

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:29 am

Genuine question: Why don't you buy an unlocked phone and use a prepaid plan on tmobile or something (assuming they are good in your area). You'll save a lot of money over 2 years.
Trump 2020

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:05 pm

chµck wrote:
Genuine question: Why don't you buy an unlocked phone and use a prepaid plan on tmobile or something (assuming they are good in your area). You'll save a lot of money over 2 years.

I just don't have the money to pay upfront for a phone right now. If I could wait a while I would. The phone I have now is just about dead. The display lost its backlight and its ability to, ehm, display. I'm pretty much restricted to just answering calls. Otherwise, I have considered going with StraightTalk. (We may, however, visit this topic again.)

StuG, as for the various OSes, I haven't tried any of them, but from what I have seen I prefer Android over the others. Mostly because of under-the-hood things that really wouldn't affect the user experience. And, I really don't feel like driving for an hour just to find out which interface I like better. As long as it works, I'll be happy enough. And, on principle alone I will not get an Apple.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:09 pm

What StuG said. Find the os that you like the best. When I was looking for a phone last fall, I used a friends Windows 7 phone and instantly fell in love with the interface. But everybody is different so what I like about Windows 7 phone you may not like. Walk into a phone shop and do some research on the os, the feel, the style of the phone. Find what works for you.

That being said, I really like Windows Phone 7 and 8 looks even better, so I'm going to shout out to Windows.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:17 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
so I'm going to shout out to Windows.

Can you get a Windows 8 phone for $30?

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:43 pm

End User wrote:
Sargent Duck wrote:
so I'm going to shout out to Windows.

Can you get a Windows 8 phone for $30?

Nope. There's only the HTC Trophy for $180 direct through Verizon. So, no, I won't be getting that one. Wirefly also has some, but they're also $180 and they're only for T-Mobile.

So, looks like it's going to be an Android phone or bust for me.

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:16 pm

How much is it per month going through WF?
Trump 2020

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:01 am

chµck wrote:
How much is it per month going through WF?

Wirefly.com is a mobile phone retailer, not a service provider.

As it turns out, the wife would rather go through the Verizon store in person. I just have to wait until tomorrow night now.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:21 am

You can see my recent thread here, but the tl;dr is that I ended up with the 16GB Galaxy Nexus direct from Google. Can't comment on how the Verizon-branded unit functions, but the Galaxy Nexus is supported by the CyanogenMod community, so you have good options anytime you feel like rooting it.

FWIW I have an old, unlocked, LG KE970/Shine (GSM featurephone, slider style) that has been sitting in storage for two years, although I did charge and power it up a couple weeks ago and it still works. If you end up on the wrong side of screwed, PM me. Nobody in the family needs it, and as such, I've been trying to figure out what to do with this phone besides recycle it.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:31 pm

Well, now that we discovered that not only will I have to upgrade our Verizon plan we also have to pay a fee to upgrade! Let me get this straight: We want to charge me a fee because you're going to make more money off of me each month? Yeah....

So, ludi, I might take you up on your offer if my old Motorola doesn't work out for me here. (The hinge is whinged, but otherwise works.)

Once her contract expires in June, or I get enough money scrounged up to by a phone outright, we're jumping ship.