Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Who else is getting ready for superstorm sandy!

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Well i have to admit living south of philadelphia in the suburbs HC Sandy is looking like its going to be a drawn out nasty event. I am not too worried about wind damage, Its the power outages and basement flooding.
In preparation since i have a 3500 watt New Genny I purchased last year and did not need it "I ran it for a hour or so over summer and this morning". I have already ran all my heavy gauge electric cords to my sump pump, the living rooms TV and HTPC, my bedrooms tv and HTPC, Plus i have a couple more outlets ready for the fridge and the gas stove "since the stupid thing has no pilot light for the oven once it gets started" plus chargers ETC.

Since i have the wife my mother and her friend both HTPC's are now loaded to the gills with tv shows with HDD's almost to capacity. A good fifty national geographic shows for me plus tons of movies, and a huge Bluray collection so we are not bored to death. Add a tons of yummie food, a lot of Shrimp, Frozen Pizzas, chicken cutlets, filet mignon ETC. Should be good to go.

As for the fridge/freezer i did the freeze water in giant ziplock bags, so i must have a good 10 gallons of fresh water frozen it will keep the food for a long time. I just recharged my industrial sized water softener/conditioner just in case the water supply gets mucked up. I think it could treat sewage the system is so oversized for my house. On top of that all the hatches are battened down so i only have to worry about other peoples stuff outside the house. Also showered up and shaved real good LOL. since once all the rain comes water usage will be cut to pretty much zero since once the manhole covers on the street start getting pushed off from the water pressure of water drainage.

Have plenty of gas for the genny also, 15 gallons in cans. plus both cars are filled so if i have to siphon from the tanks i will.

So anyone else getting ready or ready and waiting?
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Who else is getting ready for superstorm sandy!

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Being but 45 miles from Canada comes in handy on occasion. Latest maps show us getting a total of 1" to 1.5" of rain through Thursday. 10%-20% chance of tropical storm strength winds, and no chance of 50-knot winds. That's nothing.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

mattshwink
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Just south of DC here. Nothing much going on yet (a little wind, no rain). No generator here, we have only lost power for less then 8 hours since we have lived here (included the big snowstorms, ice storm 2 years ago, irene, and the derecho. Of course, saying that, watch us get walloped and be out for a week. Made some garlic soup and potato leek soup today (going to be cold enough to really enjoy it). Other then that just watching some football. I almost certainly will be going into DC for work tomorrow, although the wife probably is going down to Richmond (nasty cold plus bad weather for traveling).

turtlepwr281
Gerbil

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm also in the Philly suburbs. I'm ready. 18 gallons of water, (30) AA batteries, 2 Maglites and 1 headlamp, stuffed pantry (with some food that is edible without cooking), water purification tablets, books.

Being into self-sufficiency and prepping, I had most of these items for months beforehand. Just needed to stock up on a few select consumables like food beforehand. Only thing i'd like is a Coleman Camping stove, but worse comes to worse we have some buffet chaffing burners if we need to heat something up.

Good luck!
Ryzen 2400g | 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 | Linux Mint | Mayflower O2/ODAC | Sennheiser HD598

EsotericLord
Gerbil First Class

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Three cans of chefboyardee and a 18 pack of ice tea.

Ya'll act like youve never seen a cat 1 hurricane before. Where I live (southern VA) took a straight hit from a cat 3 a few years back and everything was back to normal within a week.

This storm will be old news by Tuesday.

turtlepwr281
Gerbil

Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:51 pm

True, but being prepared for the unseen (within reason) is certainly ok. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Ryzen 2400g | 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 | Linux Mint | Mayflower O2/ODAC | Sennheiser HD598

PGleo86
Gerbil

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:04 pm

North-Central PA here, thankfully it looks like the full force of the storm will miss us, but I pray for all my friends in the Philly area...
ASUS Z97-A, i7 4790K @ 4.8 + Corsair H100i GTX, Fractal Design Define R5 (window, Titanium), 20GB DDR3/1600, ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP!, 620W PSU, 5TB HDD, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:12 pm

EsotericLord wrote:
Three cans of chefboyardee and a 18 pack of ice tea.

Ya'll act like youve never seen a cat 1 hurricane before. Where I live (southern VA) took a straight hit from a cat 3 a few years back and everything was back to normal within a week.

This storm will be old news by Tuesday.

Hurricanes do have the potential to cause devastating and long-lasting damage, even if they don't do it every time. Keep in mind a lot of people aren't just planning for themselves; they also plan to make sure that wives, husbands, children, and other family and friends are okay. No need to taunt.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Well, our house is in NYC's "mandatory evacuation" zone, but we will not evacuate unless the rising water will already be at our door... Which is highly unlikely, judging by previous storm Irene :wink: Not sure how we supposed to "prepare" - we do have several flashlights and plenty of batteries, but we live in a pretty civilized area where power outages are extremely rare, so we probably won't have any outages or nonsense things like drinking water shortages :P
The situation will be worse in NJ - lots of flooding usually occurs there even during heavy rain periods, and this hurricane will bring even heavier rainfall, and the power outages occur more often there. Our business office is there, but it has a large, properly maintained standby generator which can power everything including 2 sump pumps in the basement area, so I'm not really worried about that :P

absurdity wrote:
Hurricanes do have the potential to cause devastating and long-lasting damage, even if they don't do it every time. Keep in mind a lot of people aren't just planning for themselves; they also plan to make sure that wives, husbands, children, and other family and friends are okay. No need to taunt.

Yes, yes, those evil, horrible hurricanes, they will bring a total annihilation (well, according to all TV channels and to simpleminded people who are easily brainwashed by TV) to us all! Flail arms and panic, and save your beloved ones!!!1111

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... EKXQB05ais
:lol:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

turtlepwr281
Gerbil

Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:43 pm

JohnC wrote:
Well, our house is in NYC's "mandatory evacuation" zone, but we will not evacuate unless the rising water will already be at our door... Which is highly unlikely, judging by previous storm Irene :wink: Not sure how we supposed to "prepare" - we do have several flashlights and plenty of batteries, but we live in a pretty civilized area where power outages are extremely rare, so we probably won't have any outages or nonsense things like drinking water shortages :P
The situation will be worse in NJ - lots of flooding usually occurs there even during heavy rain periods, and this hurricane will bring even heavier rainfall, and the power outages occur more often there. Our business office is there, but it has a large, properly maintained standby generator which can power everything including 2 sump pumps in the basement area, so I'm not really worried about that :P

absurdity wrote:

Yes, yes, those evil, horrible hurricanes, they will bring a total annihilation (well, according to all TV channels and to simpleminded people who are easily brainwashed by TV) to us all! Flail arms and panic, and save your beloved ones!!!1111

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... EKXQB05ais

Not appreciated. I'd like to know I'm able to keep myself and my friends and family safe. Regardless of the possibility of catastrophic danger, a few gallons of drinking water and some canned food is a cheap way to ensure that even if something DOES happen (not that I want it to), that things will still be business as usual at home. If you'd like to laugh at those who prepare, please do so offline.

As far as being simpleminded, yes, I have seen stories on the news about this storm. Am I sitting here in my tin-foil hat waiting for existence as I know it to be carried off the Land of Oz? No. Spending a modest sum of money as insurance against not needing to rely on supply chains and my grocery store's ability to get more food in place by Wednesday is fairly reasonable in my opinion. I hope for your sake, you have what you need and your local stores keep your necessary items in stock.

blorbic5
Gerbil

Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:54 pm

I hope it hits us in Michigan, we really need the lake levels to go up.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:59 pm

turtlepwr281 wrote:
2 Maglites and 1 headlamp

These things are not good as a long-lasting "area light" :wink: Next time I'd recommend getting something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-SE3DLNCOM ... d_sim_sg_1
It's pretty inexpensive, durable and pretty long-lasting, with no "ancient" fluorescent bulbs.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:10 pm

Sandy is way overblown. It is only going to be tropical storm (not even a Hurricane) by the time it reaches greater Philadelphia, NJ and NYC area. The worse thing that will happen is flooding if you happen to reside in flood plains or the shoreline. Service outages may be problematic if you live in rural areas though. Just stock on non-perishable food and some water. Expect to some spend time on reading books or playing board games. :wink:
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:14 pm

John C,
I hope you do not get hit too bad, but i just wanted to say you are in a mandatory evac zone, 5-10ft+ of storm surge is no joke, combined with a full moon tides and the water being blown in by ne winds is ugly. If i had nowhere else to go sure i would stay too but if you have a friend or family close by in a non evac zone i would ask them for shelter.

I just hope you don't have to call 911. Not only will you be in danger, you endanger the 1st responder's that come to save your butt.
Good luck

I predict this will cripple manhatten island's subways for a couple weeks. Salt water and electrical equipment do not mix. Let alone pumping out the subway of the displaced water in the 1st place.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

henfactor
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:26 pm

vargis14 wrote:
John C,
I just hope you don't have to call 911. Not only will you be in danger, you endanger the 1st responder's that come to save your butt.

Preventably diverting emergency responders is not cool- no matter how much you want to ride out the storm. Your well-being is one thing, but you're putting others at risk for no real benefit.
If common sense is so common, why don't more people have it?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:31 pm

vargis14 wrote:
Not only will you be in danger, you endanger the 1st responder's that come to save your butt.

Oh noes! Those poor, poor responders, who live off my own earned money! Those fragile creatures who barely know what they're doing and who use sticks and stones as a tools should definitely be treated with more care! :wink:

All this fearmongering by local government (which, unfortunately, does seem to affect so many simple-minded people) has nothing to do with caring about the people who may live in dangerous zones or emergency responders but it is made to cover the governor's or mayor's own asses against lawsuit-happy general population. As for the actual danger - like I said, IF there will actually be danger THEN we will move out of our house and move 500 feet up the road, where the "danger zone" ends completely according to all the fearmongering maps created by local government :roll:

P.S: Our local hospital is completely located in "mandatory evacuation" zone (it's even lower on elevation level than our house), however it is NOT being evacuated and will stay open and provide emergency services at all times. Are they also trying to "endanger" the lives of their patients and the lives of emergency response workers? :roll:
Last edited by JohnC on Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Yes those 1st responders like all the one's that gave there lives on 911 and since then? NYFD/NYPD

Are those the poor poor responders you are talking about???

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:41 pm

JohnC wrote:
vargis14 wrote:
Not only will you be in danger, you endanger the 1st responder's that come to save your butt.

Oh noes! Those poor, poor responders, who live off my own earned money! Those fragile creatures who barely know what they're doing and who use sticks and stones as a tools should definitely be treated with more care! :wink:

All this fearmongering by local government (which, unfortunately, does seem to affect so many simple-minded people) has nothing to do with caring about the people who may live in dangerous zones or emergency responders but it is made to cover the governor's or mayor's own asses against lawsuit-happy general population. As for the actual danger - like I said, IF there will actually be danger THEN we will move out of our house and move 500 feet up the road, where the "danger zone" ends completely according to all the fearmongering maps created by local government :roll:

"It can't happen here It can't happen here I'm telling you, my dear That it can't happen here Because I been checkin' it out, baby I checked it out a couple a times, hmmmmmmmm
And I'm telling you It can't happen here Oh darling, it's important that you believe me (bop bop bop bop) That it can't happen here
Who could imagine that they would freak out somewhere in kansas... Kansas kansas tototototodo Kansas kansas tototototodo Kansas kansas Who could imagine that they would freak out in minnesota... Mimimimimimimi minnesota, minnesota, minnesota Who could imagine...
Who could imagine That they would freak out in washington, d.c. D.c. d.c. d.c. d.c. d.c. It can't happen here Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba It can't happen here It can't happen here Everybody's safe and it can't happen here No freaks for us It can't happen here Everybody's clean and it can't happen here No, no, it won't happen here I'm telling you it can't It won't happen here (bop bop didi bop didi bop bop bop) Plastic folks, you know It won't happen here You're safe, mama You're safe, baby You just cook a tv dinner And you make it [ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/it-cant-happ ... zappa.html ] (bop bop bop) No no no no Oh, we're gonna get a tv dinner and cook it up Go get a tv dinner and cook it up Cook it up Oh, and it won't happen here (no no no no no no no no no no no Man you guys are really safe Everything's cool). Who could imagine Who could imagine That they would freak out in the suburbs I remember (tu-tu) I remember (tu-tu) I remember (tu-tu) They had a swimming pool I remember (tu-tu) I remember (tu-tu) They had a swimming pool I remember (tu-tu) I remember (tu-tu) They had a swimming pool.
And they thought it couldn't happen here (duh duh duh duh duh) They knew it couldn't happen here They were so sure it couldn't happen here But...
Suzie... Yes yes yes--i've always felt that Yes I agree man, it really makes it...yeah... It's a real thing, man And it really makes it (makes it)
Suzie, you just got to town, And we've been, we've been very interested In your development, Since you first took the shots. Forget it! Hmmmmmmmmm (it can't happen here) (can't happen here) (can't happen here)"

Frank Zappa

Good luck fool. Mama can be a real ....
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:47 pm

PenGun wrote:
JohnC wrote:
vargis14 wrote:

"It can't happen here It can't happen here I'm telling you, my dear That it can't happen here Because I been checkin' it out, baby I checked it out a couple a times, hmmmmmmmm
And I'm telling you It can't happen here Oh darling, it's important that you believe me (bop bop bop bop) That it can't happen here
Who could imagine that they would freak out somewhere in kansas... Kansas kansas tototototodo Kansas kansas tototototodo Kansas kansas Who could imagine that they would freak out in minnesota... Mimimimimimimi minnesota, minnesota, minnesota Who could imagine...
Who could imagine That they would freak out in washington, d.c. D.c. d.c. d.c. d.c. d.c. It can't happen here Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba It can't happen here It can't happen here Everybody's safe and it can't happen here No freaks for us It can't happen here Everybody's clean and it can't happen here No, no, it won't happen here I'm telling you it can't It won't happen here (bop bop didi bop didi bop bop bop) Plastic folks, you know It won't happen here You're safe, mama You're safe, baby You just cook a tv dinner And you make it [ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/it-cant-happ ... zappa.html ] (bop bop bop) No no no no Oh, we're gonna get a tv dinner and cook it up Go get a tv dinner and cook it up Cook it up Oh, and it won't happen here (no no no no no no no no no no no Man you guys are really safe Everything's cool). Who could imagine Who could imagine That they would freak out in the suburbs I remember (tu-tu) I remember (tu-tu) I remember (tu-tu) They had a swimming pool I remember (tu-tu) I remember (tu-tu) They had a swimming pool I remember (tu-tu) I remember (tu-tu) They had a swimming pool.
And they thought it couldn't happen here (duh duh duh duh duh) They knew it couldn't happen here They were so sure it couldn't happen here But...
Suzie... Yes yes yes--i've always felt that Yes I agree man, it really makes it...yeah... It's a real thing, man And it really makes it (makes it)
Suzie, you just got to town, And we've been, we've been very interested In your development, Since you first took the shots. Forget it! Hmmmmmmmmm (it can't happen here) (can't happen here) (can't happen here)"

Frank Zappa

Good luck fool. Mama can be a real ....

:o

henfactor
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:57 pm

JohnC wrote:
vargis14 wrote:

You've kept a light tone, so I'm guessing (hoping) you're not being super cereal- I will just note that after having worked with S&R crews over the years, we pull very few inexperienced campers from the bush. It's usually the ones who describe themselves as 'experienced' that we get called out for.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:07 pm

henfactor wrote:
JohnC wrote:
vargis14 wrote:

You've kept a light tone, so I'm guessing (hoping) you're not being super cereal- I will just note that after having worked with S&R crews over the years, we pull very few inexperienced campers from the bush. It's usually the ones who describe themselves as 'experienced' that we get called out for.

Nonono, I most definitely despise all this scum, especially all of our company's Ambulance drivers (most of whom used to work, or continue working, at city's emergency services)! Every time I meet them I spit at their general direction! :wink:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Last edited by JohnC on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:39 pm

NW NJ here, nestled between Lakes Hopatcong & Musconetcong... lots of water about, and we've certainly had our share of flooding in the past, but for the most part minor compared to low-lying areas. Last year's Hallowe'en nor'easter actually did more local damage than Irene around here.

Having grown up in a fairly rural environment - community well shared by 20 homes, septic tanks, sporadic power outages, crappy phone lines, etc - I'm accustomed to being prepared.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:49 pm

JohnC wrote:

Just because your tax dollars are paying their salary doesn't give you the right to put them in harm's way unnecessarily. Even putting that aside, in a worst-case scenario you could be waiting many days for rescue if a lot of other people also ignore the evacutation order.

JohnC wrote:
P.S: Our local hospital is completely located in "mandatory evacuation" zone (it's even lower on elevation level than our house), however it is NOT being evacuated and will stay open and provide emergency services at all times. Are they also trying to "endanger" the lives of their patients and the lives of emergency response workers? :roll:

No, they're weighing the potential benefit to the community against the potential danger. Also, hospitals typically have generators to provide backup power, so they should be able to continue functioning even if there's a power outage.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
JohnC wrote:

No, they're weighing the potential benefit to the community against the potential danger. Also, hospitals typically have generators to provide backup power, so they should be able to continue functioning even if there's a power outage.

Yes, generators... which also may become flooded (according to local government). How about the ERs which will stay open and which are located on the first floor of the hospitals? Doesn't make sense to keep them open since the local government is scaring people in "mandatory evacuation" zones with several feet of water! :roll:

henfactor
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:16 pm

JohnC wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Yes, generators... which also may become flooded (according to local government). How about the ERs which will stay open and which are located on the first floor of the hospitals? Doesn't make sense to keep them open since the local government is scaring people in "mandatory evacuation" zones with several feet of water! :roll:

This still all sounds like a bad joke..... I can't comment about the flood prevention measures at your hospital, but if the place does flood, at least they know where everyone is/ can move them to vacant rooms etc. You seem awfully critical of a system that you have little knowledge about.

If you were in-charge of operations, what would you do?

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:35 pm

He would probably spit on ambulance driver's :roll:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:36 pm

henfactor wrote:

This still all sounds like a bad joke..... I can't comment about the flood prevention measures at your hospital, but if the place does flood, at least they know where everyone is/ can move them to vacant rooms etc. You seem awfully critical of a system that you have little knowledge about.

If you were in-charge of operations, what would you do?

In charge of operations at hospital? I would do exactly as they are doing now - remain open, since all this "OMG, FLOOD IS COMEING!!!!!111" fearmongering is mostly caused by a local government trying to cover up their own asses and make it look like they "care about the safety of people who elected them and who might still be voting for them in future elections" :wink: Exactly what we are doing now by staying at our house and trying to NOT watch any local news channels :wink:
B.t.w, the hospital was actually evacuated last year during the Irene storm... Was a huge embarrassment for them since the water never reached them and they wasted a huge amount of $$$ on the whole process of moving the patients. This time they've learned the lesson of ignoring the government propaganda :wink:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:41 pm

vargis14 wrote:
He would probably spit on ambulance driver's :roll:

Oh vargis14... Image

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:36 am

Kiss my ass. Seriously.

By the point you're describing, S&R will have been suspended until after the storm is actually done (at least here in Texas). We don't risk people to save folks that were told to GTFO days before. We will come get you AFTER the storm (and I've had the job of telling people on Galveston that during storms--calling WHILE IKE WAS FRIGGING RAGING asking for a SARS team---nope buddies, not happening).

At least here we don't evacuate for power outages (unless you're on life sustaining medical equipment). We evacuate for areas were flooding and massive destruction are predicted. And those maps aren't perfect; my parents lost the middle 1/3rd of their house during Ike and they were in a "safe zone" (storm knocked over some trees, then it rained into the gaping holes). I'm just eternally glad those trees hit the living room and not the bedroom they sheltered in.

There's nothing wrong or alarmist with having 3-5 days of food on hand anyway (don't most people do this regularly?) and 3-5 days rations of water and some batteries. I'd just keep a grill with a couple of propane tanks or lots of charcoal handy for cooking in the event of an outage--grill up the stuff in the fridge/freezer first then start in on pantry goods.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.