Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Windows 8- Sell me on it

Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:44 pm

So I am answering this here, pretty much splitting the thread from the Games forum as I had no intention of thread crapping (even though I recognize I already did):

Ryu Connor wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
I desperately want to like W8 because I love 7 but for the love of god someone please sell me on this.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... windows-8/

So I read that and its cool and all. The first point that sticks with me is I dont have Ivy Bridge, nor do I intend to, barring some kind of catastrophic failure. I have a i7-920 LGA 1366 and am completely happy with it. While I realize that its a little long in the tooth (Released 2008) it still runs many games with "everything" at max. I am also able to run many Dev tools VS, SP Designer, etc. etc. without any issues.

I just dont see anything compelling enough for me to go to Win 8.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Windows 8- Sell me on it

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:01 pm

First, what I wrote in that thread:

The Start screen makes my "landing point" useful now. Previously a clean desktop still required me to press the Windows key or click. Now it's just right there.

And it also solves the problem of the Start menu not showing enough at a time. Used to be that you click the start button and you get somewhere between 10-30% of your screen filled with a list of apps. Now the targets are bigger AND you can see more of them at a time. AND it shows real-time information like weather and news headlines. It's kind of stupefying how much better the Start screen is over the old Start menu. It's not that MS broke-by-"fixing" what wasn't broken, it's that they really and truly made it better.

Second, Windows Defender's AV seems to be pretty good. It caught a false-positive on a file, which is neither here nor there, and it doesn't get caught up on monolithic installer executables. When I fresh-installed, I ran an installer that's 3GB. MSSE would get caught up on it and peg one core of my CPU for 20 minutes prior to actually launching. Windows Defender managed to not do that. If you're using free AVG or free Avast, I guess that's not really a positive.

Start screen searching is instantaneous. If you're like me with a mechanical drive and an SSD, Windows 7's search wouldn't return any results at all if the mechanical drive had spun down. Windows 8 at least returns results from the SSD while it waits on the mechanical stuff.

There's more, but I'll let others jump in.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:04 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
When I fresh-installed, I ran an installer that's 3GB. MSSE would get caught up on it and peg one core of my CPU for 20 minutes prior to actually launching. Windows Defender managed to not do that.

Yuck. Can't believe stuff like this still happens. This sort of behavior was the reason I ditched Norton AV roughly a decade ago.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

l33t-g4m3r
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:41 pm

Selling you on w8 is basically what 98% of all the articles out there are already doing. If the brainwashing or bandwagon effect doesn't do it, then maybe it's not for you. I personally don't think any review of w8 that doesn't mention the controversial nature of the OS or any of it's downsides to be a legitimate review. They're Advertorials. I really wonder about the TR staff too, since I was listening to the podcast and they were talking about some backup feature in w8 that existed in w7, and they were totally dismissing it. Also, the task manager is a rip from process explorer and is not a legitimate reason to "upgrade". It's all about the newness and being hip, dubstep, stupid dance commercials, nothing about productivity or common sense. Microsoft store employee's have been caught deliberately selling RT versions off as Pro, nobody explains that Metro in pro is still RT, dis-info and chaos abound. It's also really telling that the biggest supporters of Metro are also macolytes. W8 is not designed for the average windows user, it's designed for touchers, and microsoft hopes it's original users will just go along to get along. I suppose if the goal is to maximize sales vs long term credibility, mission accomplished.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:04 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
I personally don't think any review of w8 that doesn't mention the controversial nature of the OS or any of it's downsides to be a legitimate review.

Fill me in here - what's controversial about Windows 8 - is it just the UI or is there more to this 'controversy'? What are the downsides of Windows 8 - honestly, what are the real, demonstrable downsides?

l33t-g4m3r

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:25 pm

flip-mode wrote:
l33t-g4m3r wrote:
I personally don't think any review of w8 that doesn't mention the controversial nature of the OS or any of it's downsides to be a legitimate review.

Fill me in here - what's controversial about Windows 8 - is it just the UI or is there more to this 'controversy'? What are the downsides of Windows 8 - honestly, what are the real, demonstrable downsides?

That's like a democrat asking what's controversial about abortions or welfare. There's plenty of controversy to go around, as long as your eyes are open, and there's no sense explaining colors to a blind man. For me, it's mostly Metro. There are other reasons, and I don't discount them just because they don't affect me, but I'm not going to argue for them either. If you want to discount everyone who has an opinion against w8, that's on you, but you're not really any different than MS either, and this ignoring of issues can only go on for so long before there is a consumer backlash. There's already been backlash from several major leaders in the gaming industry, including valve, and gaming is honestly the only thing keeping me from using linux. If valve pulls it off, then I'm done with windows. I'm really tired of the constant dumbing down gui changes, decreased customization, DX version X to OS lock-in, bloat, spyware, activation drm, rebooting for updates, w/e. Everything. I'm just sick and tired of windows and I want a fresh change from their crap, and they obviously can't deliver when their management is totally disconnected from reality. MS would be better suited charging for updates like osx. The sinofsky interview is pretty telling in how they're doing business now. MS101: "sometimes 1+1=11". Right, good luck monetizing me when I'm no longer using your OS.

WinRT is ultimately a joke that's going to bite MS hard, because if the consumer doesn't know what they're getting into, and the experience sucks, MS is never going to beat the rap from this.
Last edited by l33t-g4m3r on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:06 pm

If you don't like Metro then stay on the Desktop? The Start Screen at least is more functional than the old Start Menu.

I feel that the Start Button should still be visible though.

l33t-g4m3r

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:22 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
If you don't like Metro then stay on the Desktop? The Start Screen at least is more functional than the old Start Menu.

No. I'm not even going to bother. W8 doesn't have Aero, and there isn't any real point to using it when the negatives vastly outweigh the positives. I'd rather use a negligibly slower OS and keep the superior desktop.

Do any of you w8 supporters who aren't shills ever question why you are pushing an unwanted OS onto the unbelievers? Is the bandwagon effect really this powerful? Step back a moment and look at the bigger picture.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:28 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
ChronoReverse wrote:

No. I'm not even going to bother. W8 doesn't have Aero, and there isn't any real point to using it when the negatives vastly outweigh the positives. I'd rather use a negligibly slower OS and keep the superior desktop.

All this over a modified Start button? Sheesh. At the very worst, things have moved, and you have to find them. Also, Aero was useless, and I'm glad it's gone.

l33t-g4m3r

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:50 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Aero was useless, and I'm glad it's gone.

You do realize that you had the option to not use it, unlike w8, and that's a non-issue?

I like how you people come up with these things about past OS's AFTER a new one comes out, but never say anything about the new one, or at least until the new one becomes the old one. I've ALWAYS hated certain aspects of w7, like w7's wizard control panel, and the deliberately crippled start menu, but those issues didn't exist for you people UNTIL W8, then OMG we have to switch! Total hypocrisy.
Last edited by l33t-g4m3r on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:54 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

You do realize that you had the option to not use it, unlike w8, and that's a non-issue?

Hell, I still refuse to use Luna.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:56 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

I never actually managed to kill Aero off- annoying as hell when playing BF3. That would have been nice. Otherwise, Aero was responsible for what, the 3D application-preview rolodex no one used and few knew existed?

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:01 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
flip-mode wrote:
l33t-g4m3r wrote:

That's like a democrat asking what's controversial about abortions or welfare.
No, it not nearly 'like' that. And please keep the R&P in R&P.

There's plenty of controversy to go around, as long as your eyes are open, and there's no sense explaining colors to a blind man. For me, it's mostly Metro.
Ok, so there's your UI preference. What else doe we have?

There are other reasons, and I don't discount them just because they don't affect me, but I'm not going to argue for them either. If you want to discount everyone who has an opinion against w8, that's on you, but you're not really any different than MS either, and this ignoring of issues can only go on for so long before there is a consumer backlash. There's already been backlash from several major leaders in the gaming industry, including valve, and gaming is honestly the only thing keeping me from using linux. If valve pulls it off, then I'm done with windows. I'm really tired of the constant dumbing down gui changes, decreased customization, DX version X to OS lock-in, bloat, spyware, activation drm, rebooting for updates, w/e. Everything. I'm just sick and tired of windows and I want a fresh change from their crap, and they obviously can't deliver when their management is totally disconnected from reality. MS would be better suited charging for updates like osx. The sinofsky interview is pretty telling in how they're doing business now. MS101: "sometimes 1+1=11". Right, good luck monetizing me when I'm no longer using your OS. WinRT is ultimately a joke that's going to bite MS hard, because if the consumer doesn't know what they're getting into, and the experience sucks, MS is never going to beat the rap from this.

OK, lots of rambling going on there and some terminology being thrown around, but you haven't supported your original statement with one single concrete example of anything wrong with Windows 8 besides your *preference* regarding its UI.

Are you able to have a grown up conversation about this? You're opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, but it's not a demonstration of any 'downside' of Windows 8. Can we get beyond the nerd-rage butt-hurt opinions? Do you have anything concrete?

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:02 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:

But It is not better. Not in functionality, not in usability and specially not in look and design. Are you using a Tablet to even think that ?!?!

And its freaking annoying to have your entire desktop flash twice just to start an app.

For me to continue work on an excel char, click start, click excel '>', click on the chart I want to work on. 3 click and my app open with the document I want.
(My screen didn't flash full screen to some ancient AOL purple and green home page look alike, I didn't have to hunt some square icons ****, etc..)

Same goes with Steam, click start, click steam '>' and the game of my choice start to load.
Windows7 organize neatly all apps and documents, with a simple click of the mouse. Try that with windows8....

How about the maze to access the control panel via the mouse ?

l33t-g4m3r

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:12 pm

flip-mode wrote:
OK, lots of rambling going on there and some terminology being thrown around, but you haven't supported your original statement with one single concrete example of anything wrong with Windows 8 besides your *preference* regarding its UI.

Did I say I was going to? No. I stated Metro is what I don't like, and I'm not going to advocate anyone else's issues. You're deliberately discounting that other people even have issues with the OS, and attempting to get me to debate you on THEIR issues. It's not going to happen, and that's really unethical.
flip-mode wrote:
Are you able to have a grown up conversation about this? You're opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, but it's not a demonstration of any 'downside' of Windows 8. Can we get beyond the nerd-rage butt-hurt opinions? Do you have anything concrete?

Are you? I don't think you are, considering how condescending you are, and that you don't think other people have valid issues with 8, and that it's somehow my responsibility to debate you on their issues. There's enough articles, do a google search and rebut Gabe Newell, Brad Wardell, Notch, and how many other people who are way more credible than you on why you think they are wrong, and you are right. LOL. Taking out your fanboy aggression on me will not discount the millions of other people who don't like 8. It's even got enough attention to warrant a game informer article, so the attempt of ad hominem, or whatever is pointless.

Also, my earlier question of, "Do any of you w8 supporters who aren't shills ever question why you are pushing an unwanted OS onto the unbelievers?" still goes unanswered.

There's also the question of timing and questionable support, "I like how you people come up with these things about past OS's AFTER a new one comes out, but never say anything about the new one, or at least until the new one becomes the old one. I've ALWAYS hated certain aspects of w7, like w7's wizard control panel, and the deliberately crippled start menu, but those issues didn't exist for you people UNTIL W8, then OMG we have to switch! Total hypocrisy."
Last edited by l33t-g4m3r on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Washer
Gerbil First Class

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Personally find the dual personality Windows 8 has a bit frustrating. Having two of many applications was annoying at first, "Photos" taking over my entire screen the first time I double clicked a jpeg for instance, "Music" coming up instead of Windows Media Player another instance. Small stuff really. The removal of the Start menu is entirely negative from a usability perspective. Jumping to a full screen launcher is ridiculous and is not acceptable for me. Thankfully there's Classic Shell which I like so far but plan to try alternatives too. There's a lot of writing on the wall so to speak. Microsoft is pushing users to the tablet-focused (every so called touch focused interface was clearly not designed with 24"+ monitors in mind, but rather 10") and I don't feel their replacement for the desktop is ready for true heavy use.

So, overall Windows 8 can be made in to Windows 7.1 and I guess quite a bit more if you want to use the Modern UI bits, I don't.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:41 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
flip-mode wrote:

Did I say I was going to? No. I stated Metro is what I don't like, and I'm not going to advocate anyone else's issues. You're deliberately discounting that other people even have issues with the OS, and attempting to get me to debate you on THEIR issues. It's not going to happen, and that's really unethical.
flip-mode wrote:

Are you? I don't think you are, considering how condescending you are, and that you don't think other people have valid issues with 8, and that it's somehow my responsibility to debate you on their issues. There's enough articles, do a google search and rebut Gabe Newell, Brad Wardell, Notch, and how many other people who are way more credible than you on why you think they are wrong, and you are right. LOL. Taking out your fanboy aggression on me will not discount the millions of other people who don't like 8. It's even got enough attention to warrant a game informer article, so the attempt of ad hominem, or whatever is pointless.

Also, my earlier question of, "Do any of you w8 supporters who aren't shills ever question why you are pushing an unwanted OS onto the unbelievers?" still goes unanswered.

Jesus, man, LOL, you're epic.

Anywho, I don't even have Windows 8 so I'm certainly not pushing it on anyone. When you claim there are downside but then can't name any and instead tell me to do a google search, the full-of-crap meter redlines. You hate the UI. Congratulations, but that's not a downside, that's just your individual preference.

LostCat

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:51 pm

ArsTechnica has a lot of articles about whats new in 8 (the one about WinRT was my main interest, but they have lots of other info.)

Note: I'm not using a tablet. And I think 8 is fantastic. The WinRT apps finally get me away from GDI apps (I wish I could ditch them all, but I'll just keep ditching em once they have proper replacements.)

Yes, some people hate the UI. Many of those people readily acknowledge the upsides and just can't get past that. Their loss. Come back in two years and I doubt even 1/4 of em will feel the same way about it.

I have no desire to force my choice onto anyone, but I believe the benefits far outweigh the negative.

BTW: Maze? Right click at the lower left of the screen. Control Panel and lots of other things that used to take a lot more effort to get to.
Meow.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:55 pm

sschaem wrote:
For me to continue work on an excel char, click start, click excel '>', click on the chart I want to work on. 3 click and my app open with the document I want.
(My screen didn't flash full screen to some ancient AOL purple and green home page look alike, I didn't have to hunt some square icons ****, etc..)

Hmm, didn't think of that. Although I'd have Excel pinned to my task bar.

l33t-g4m3r

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Jesus, man, LOL, you're epic.

Thanks. :P
flip-mode wrote:
Anywho, I don't even have Windows 8 so I'm certainly not pushing it on anyone. When you claim there are downside but then can't name any and instead tell me to do a google search, the full-of-crap meter redlines. You hate the UI. Congratulations, but that's not a downside, that's just your individual preference.

So my preference of not liking the UI is not a valid complaint. Congratulations for discounting millions of users. I could very well pretend debate you on issues other people have, but that would be a false debate, and I'm not going to put effort into it. If you want to go debunk everyone else's points, then you do the work. It's not my job to speak for everyone else, and if I did, you wouldn't be refuting them by refuting me. The only thing I can do is offer commentary on what I think of their points, and my suggestion of YOU googling for it is an exercise in forcing you to accept that OTHER people have issues with w8, and it's not just me. As it stands, you don't seem to grasp that concept.

ModernPrimitive
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm not going to try and sell anyone on the OS but I'll relate my (little) experience. I got it for $15 USD on the upgrade offer with my Envy 15t. I've always looked forward to the next big version of Windows in the past - this time was very different. After reading articles and watching videos I was dreading it.... I used the RC on a friend's PC recently. I hated it with a passion. Even if I was using a tablet it would be to many "gestures" to get to some things in my opinion. I'm so annoyed by it that I've even changed my mind on making my first tablet purchase a Win8 device.

But, after installing it on my laptop and installing Start8 by Stardock and then doing away with the most annoying app (to me), I actually like it just as well as Win7 and maybe better due to the speed. My laptop really is much more responsive than before. The apps such as photo viewer are the default but the old Windows photo viewer is still there in case I confused anyone. The boot up speed is probably 1/4 what it was before also..... I'll quit with the rambling now.

LostCat

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Just to clarify what I Was talking about
Meow.

BIF

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 pm

There are a lot of good things with Windows 8 and I am planning to transition to it.

But I also have serious complaints with Windows 8, and I flat out REFUSE to try to sell anybody on it. You see, I have to stick up for what I think is right and speak my mind on the things I think are wrong. And there's LOTS that is wrong with Windows 8, therefore, I would actually RECOMMEND AGAINST IT to the OP. Yes, it goes against the grain for this thread, but I feel very strongly that I must speak up.

So here are just a few of my reasons for suggesting that Win 8 should be a NO SALE (or at least a "not yet") for the OP:

1. Start Screen forces me to scroll sideways. This is lunacy! It's not intuitive on a desktop, nor is it convenient. My keyboard has "pg up" and "pg down", but not "pg left" or "pg right". The Start Screen was giving me repetitive motion PAIN after just two days of using it, even with an ergonomic keyboard and trackball. That's not right and it cannot be ignored. By the way, one of the most annoying things about my Android phone and my iPad is the swipe left/swipe right I have to do when looking for something not on my screen. It's slower, it's more awkward. There HAS to be a better way!

2. Hotspots and other invisible elements on the Start Screen. This is just dumb. Up until now, every function had a visible element on the screen. What the hell..."float" cursor to this corner or that corner? That's messed up, and it doesn't work for people with multiple monitors like me.

3. Okay, I'll say it: The mono-colored Start Screen icons have successfully CHEAPENED my Windows/RT experience. I don't like it, they are difficult to distinguish from each other when so many of them don't make use of COLORS. At least the old desktop still allows the use of colorful icons.

4. Aero. Here we go, this is a HUGE one for me. Aero features and glass actually HELPED me see the various screen elements. Windows 8's flat light-grey scroll bars on white backgrounds are VERY difficult to see and utilize and they constitute a serious step BACKWARDS in functionality and user experience. Really, what was wrong with the old 3D-looking scroll bars and buttons? If you didn't like Aero, I'm okay with that! But please try to be okay with me for needing it; please try to understand that for some of us, Aero was not just useless eye-candy. It helped some users to be more efficient.

5. IE 10 STILL does not allow me to post to articles in TR. Something is wrong here and it ain't my system which has no plugins! There's more, but let's just leave it at this: I've switched to Firefox on Windows 8 because it feels like IE 10 is just not ready for prime-time.

6. WinRT applications and their limited "sandboxes" are awkward and are screwing up the user experience. There, I said it. Yeah, I "get" the concept of the sandbox and for security I support it. But Windows 8's implementation of it is way too limiting to people who have been using sizable and spawnable windows applications for decades. A one-window IE browser that's forced into full-screen mode? Oh please stop the madness already, my desktop is NOT A PHONE!

7. No Start Button and no Start Menu. Dammit, this is important to me and to others too! Some people learn faster than others. Some people don't. It's insulting to force the user to go find an external solution to something that was there for YEARS, without offering some sort of transition mode or period. Microsoft should have left in a "classic mode" for Windows 8 and my fellow techies who have adapted to a non-button/non-menu environment should count their fortunes and then please stop dismissing us as complainers on this one. Some of us just have a text-based way of finding things. Please try to understand that!

8. Being forced to put my stuff on the cloud. Being forced into the "Microsoft Store" just because it worked for Apple and Android. Being convinced/forced to use an internet/Microsoft Live userid and password just to log onto my personal desktop system. Some of us still live perfectly useful lives with all our data and apps LOCALLY managed! Trying to shove us all into the cloud just smacks us with a bad stench and many people and businesses won't like the potential for security flaws here. I am hoping to implement LOCAL logins for my production Windows 8 machines.

I have workarounds for some of the above items, and contrary to the tone of my words above, I am indeed excited about Windows 8. However, there are some very REAL issues with it too.

And it's becoming hurtful when people gloss over or outright ignore points like those above or other good ones made by other people. I too have been sensing condescension coming from people whom I would NEVER expect it! I've even gotten the feeling that some otherwise well-respected people in the TR community might be feigning an almost "faux innocent I-don't-get-it-what's-the-problem" attitude, and then saying that we with complaints have no valid complaints, just passing us off as though we're irrelevant newbies. This is dismaying to me, and I hope that my EASY 8 reasons above will help people understand some of the TRULY TROUBLING issues that some of us are having with Windows 8.

I "get" the pro-8 arguments, but that's because I'm actually trying to see other points of view. Now it's time for "pro-8" people to please try to understand us! Please stop passing us and our issues off as irrelevant, and maybe we can lighten the tone a bit.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:20 pm

BIF wrote:
There are a lot of good things with Windows 8 and I am planning to transition to it.

But I also have serious complaints with Windows 8, and I flat out REFUSE to try to sell anybody on it. You see, I have to stick up for what I think is right and speak my mind on the things I think are wrong. And there's LOTS that is wrong with Windows 8, therefore, I would actually RECOMMEND AGAINST IT to the OP. Yes, it goes against the grain for this thread, but I feel very strongly that I must speak up.

Overall I pretty much feel the same way as you do (particularly horizontal scrolling which I really hate). It's not end of the world terrible as one particular person in this thread is making it out to be but a lot of the design decisions are annoying.

BTW, you can do local logins just fine. Just choose not to link your Live account (I really don't care about the Store). And I didn't notice this at first (I was complaining about it) but if you just start typing in the Start Screen it'll act like the Win7 Start Menu and let you search.
Last edited by ChronoReverse on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

l33t-g4m3r

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Savyg wrote:
Just to clarify what I Was talking about
Wow, amazing! You know what's more amazing? I have shortcuts to all that on my quicklaunch toolbar, and you can use registry tweaks to add them to right clicking my computer. This is like the argument for the new taskmanager, which is actually a cut down process explorer.

@ BIF: flip-mode thinks none of your points are valid because those are all personal preference, and that it's my job to debate him for you, and since I won't put effort into doing that, he's automatically right.

I know SSK the great promoter even has issues, "the situation with ownership of files IS THE MOST ANNOYING THING ABOUT 8." but it isn't my job to speak for him either. People have valid complaints about this OS, and ignoring it isn't helping anyone.

Also, the classic start menu program is how Microsoft should have had the start menu in vista/7. IMO, they deliberately crippled it to phase start out for Metro.
Last edited by l33t-g4m3r on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BIF

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:32 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
BTW, you can do local logins just fine. Just choose not to link your Live account (I really don't care about the Store).

Thank you for this; I will investigate it when I'm ready to upgrade/install.

And I didn't notice this at first (I was complaining about it) but if you just start typing in the Start Screen it'll act like the Win7 Start Menu and let you search.

Yes, I found that too, but purely by accident. It works okay, but my typing now shows up in the upper right corner, which is very far away from my keyboard and far away from the "charms?/icons" on the start screen, which are populated from left-to-right.

Compare this with Windows 7's search box, which was lower left, much closer to the icons stacking from left to right on the desktop and the physical keyboard just below the screen.

It's easy to say that's a minor thing and it is...except for those of us with big screens. Now with Windows 8, I have to take my eyes completely off of my keyboard and even move my head up to see what I'm typing.

The little things DO add up and this is another example of how the new UI is more difficult to use for some of us.

BIF

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
@ BIF: flip-mode thinks none of your points are valid because those are all personal preference, and that it's my job to debate him for you, and since I won't put effort into doing that, he's automatically right.

I should be clear and say that I respect Flip Mode very much, and I should say that he's not the only one who's posts I've gotten these feelings from. My post will hopefully reveal ALL of our near-sightedness in these matters; or at least maybe get some folks to understand that we're not all happy and if we're not, we aren't just dumb or crazy.

On the other hand, those of us who are happy with Win 8 shouldn't be made to feel bad either! :)

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 pm

BIF wrote:
It's easy to say that's a minor thing and it is...except for those of us with big screens. Now with Windows 8, I have to take my eyes completely off of my keyboard and even move my head up to see what I'm typing.

The little things DO add up and this is another example of how the new UI is more difficult to use for some of us.

Definitely true although I do touch type so I don't look at the keyboard.

My complaint about it is actually how it no longer searches in settings like the Control Panel automatically anymore. You actually need to specifically choose to search in Settings instead of just programs and that's really a silly thing.

As for the flip-mode thing, it really seems to me he's only being harsh on leet-gamer who's really going nuts about it.

LostCat

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:47 pm

l33t-g4m3r wrote:
Wow, amazing! You know what's more amazing? I have shortcuts to all that on my quicklaunch toolbar, and you can use registry tweaks to add them to right clicking my computer. This is like the argument for the new taskmanager, which is actually a cut down process explorer..

So what? You had to do extra work before. Now you don't.

I didn't say it was amazing, just saying that people are overlooking it when saying 'blah blah blah takes so much more work to get to' which is obviously incorrect.
Meow.

l33t-g4m3r

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Savyg wrote:
I didn't say it was amazing, just saying that people are overlooking it when saying 'blah blah blah takes so much more work to get to' which is obviously incorrect.

I'm not overlooking it as that is a real improvement, but it's not a valid upgrade reason either when you can do the same with w7, and navigating that huge start screen does take more work.

BIF wrote:
I should be clear and say that I respect Flip Mode very much, and I should say that he's not the only one who's posts I've gotten these feelings from. My post will hopefully reveal ALL of our near-sightedness in these matters; or at least maybe get some folks to understand that we're not all happy and if we're not, we aren't just dumb or crazy.

On the other hand, those of us who are happy with Win 8 shouldn't be made to feel bad either! :)

I agree, and I'm not knocking people who are "enjoying" their w8 experience, so much as those who are proselytizing and discounting us. W8 offers nothing I want, and everything I don't want, and unless that changes, neither am I.
Last edited by l33t-g4m3r on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.