Topic Author

Star Wars Episode 7??

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:09 pm

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Star Wars Episode 7??

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:41 pm

A quote I saw on Slashdot about this story:
"As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

It's difficult to say whether Walt Disney or George Lucas could do more damage to Star Wars. On the one hand, I think that the sale to Disney gives the series a chance. They could put a talented director and a good script together, but they probably won't.

George Lucas hasn't written a good script, directed a good movie, or even produced a good movie since the 1980s. I wasn't even born when the last movie with George Lucas attached to it was good. I think that removing Star Wars and Indiana Jones from the hands of George Lucas is good for both of the franchises. Whether Disney makes a movie with the quality of Pirates of the Caribbean or Pirates of the Caribbean 2-4 remains to be seen.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Judging by the sheer amount of great Lucas-approved post episode 6 fiction, Disney could feasibly make another half-dozen movies without running out of material.

And they certainly have the resources to do it right.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:56 pm

FYI, we've been talking about this briefly in dymt:r. I'm not sure if those posts need to be moved here or if this thread needs to be merged into dymt:r. Anywho...I'm eager to see what comes out next.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

travbrad
Gerbil XP

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:03 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
It's difficult to say whether Walt Disney or George Lucas could do more damage to Star Wars. On the one hand, I think that the sale to Disney gives the series a chance. They could put a talented director and a good script together, but they probably won't.

Yeah it's hard to know which is the lesser of two evils really. It's hard to imagine anyone screwing it up worse than George Lucas has, but I can imagine Disney producing something equally bad, just with their own unique way of ruining a movie.
6700K @ 4.6ghz || ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S || Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 16GB
ASUS STRIX GTX 970 || EVGA Supernova 750W G2 || Noctua NH-D15 || Fractal Define R5
Crucial MX200 500GB || 2x WD Blue 6TB || 2x WDGreen 2TB
Philips 272G5DYEB || Dell U2312HM

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:15 pm

Remember that Disney owns Marvel and those movies have been seriously kick-ass.

This good be really good or it could be as if Jar Jar himself was put in charge.
All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct - Carl Sagan

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Disney hasn't actually made most of the Marvel movies. I think just "The Avengers" was produced by Disney.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
XFX Radeon RX 580

PGleo86
Gerbil

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:16 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
Disney hasn't actually made most of the Marvel movies. I think just "The Avengers" was produced by Disney.

Which still kicked serious ass. Disney has shown that if they want to make a great movie, they can do it.
ASUS Z97-A, i7 4790K @ 4.8 + Corsair H100i GTX, Fractal Design Define R5 (window, Titanium), 20GB DDR3/1600, ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP!, 620W PSU, 5TB HDD, 512GB Samsung 840 Pro

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:40 pm

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

But really it's not like it will get much worse. Beside now they can add a worth while Princess to Disney's list of Princesses (for those of us with daughters who like princesses).

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:51 pm

tfp wrote:
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

But really it's not like it will get much worse. Beside now they can add a worth while Princess to Disney's list of Princesses (for those of us with daughters who like princesses).

That hadn't occurred to me- it's a nice thought for sure. Disney space princesses...

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:56 pm

I don't know if I'd call Princess Amidala worthwhile...
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:50 am

grantmeaname wrote:
I don't know if I'd call Princess Amidala worthwhile...

I said Princess not Princesses, pick someone else.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:06 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:

Technically, produced by Marvel Studios and Paramount. However about half the credit for that movie goes to the casting department for securing a truly incredible collection of talent, and the other half goes to Joss Whedon for both directing and co-writing a coherent plotline that put everyone's character to good use.

If Disney hands Whedon the Star Wars franchise, a blank check, and at least one strong co-writer to keep Whedon from overdoing the drama, then I'll believe something special is about to happen.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:07 am

ludi wrote:
If Disney hands Whedon the Star Wars franchise and a blank check, then I'll believe something special is about to happen.

Seconded. That's probably as close as you can get to a best-case scenario.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:24 am

they need to get some of those Authors of the SW Novels writing the script. And NO Zahn wouldnt be my first choice either, Karen Traviss would. (Her series is outstanding)

Anyways, I'm excited. As far as I'm concerned Disney can do no worse than what Lucas has already done with his prequels. Sure in Episodes 1-3 there were some bright spots (Darth Maul, Gen Grevious, Hell Samuel L. Jackson as a jedi...) but there were way too many dumb spots (Midiclorians....I mean come on! "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." Worst Dialogue ever! and Jar Jar!)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:44 am

The rumor mill this morning is that JJ Abrams is going to direct. I never cared for Star Wars, I know blasphemy, but seriously - I always found it boring and way over-rated. Flame on.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:10 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
The rumor mill this morning is that JJ Abrams is going to direct. I never cared for Star Wars, I know blasphemy, but seriously - I always found it boring and way over-rated. Flame on.

So do you like Star Trek?

I find that most Trekkies dont like SW and vice versa. And they few that actually like both, well, they're anomalies. Me I never cared for Star Trek well except for the last movie reboot and 7 of 9 :wink: .
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:07 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:

Disney hasn't gone back and re-edited its older films, so I would say that alone is a step up from Lucas.

Disney and LucasFilms is a good fit. Star Wars and Indiana Jones could both be Disney franchises; the movies fit the pattern of a Disney movie. Disney also doesn't run their properties into the ground, except for Aladdin.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:14 am

Also, Disney already has the Star Wars Experience at Disney World. So I dont think merchandising will be too far off from what we currently have and have seen.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:24 am

The points about Whedon and Avengers do excite me a bit.

But Disney owned Miramax for some time, and during that period there were several great films released.

So all in all, having Disney pulling some strings is probably a good thing. And I do mean good beyond: "they obviously can't do worse than Episode I."

EDIT: and as for the Trek vs. Wars stuff, I may be in a minority, but I do appreciate both. They each have completely different strengths.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:23 am

I would be very happy with Joss Whedon or J.J. Abrams doing it.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:26 am

tanker27 wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:

I find that most Trekkies dont like SW and vice versa. And they few that actually like both, well, they're anomalies. Me I never cared for Star Trek well except for the last movie reboot and 7 of 9 :wink: .

I do like Star Trek. Not all of them, mostly just TNG and Voyager. Couldn't get into the original or deepspace. I was never a trekkie though, just enjoyed it for what it is/was. I really liked the movie.

greenmystik
Gerbil First Class

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:31 am

tanker27 wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:

I've always liked both franchises. I leaned more towards Star Trek during the TNG era when i was young now i find myself leaning back towards the middle. Currently reading all the novels of SW post ROTJ and really enjoying the stories and continuity. Its something ST lacked severely until a couple years ago.

I'm actually excited about this deal as I think Disney can do some real good with the franchise and future movies. I don't understand the instant hate about this.
If practice makes perfect, but nobodies perfect, then why practice?

TheEmrys

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:36 am

Now if Disney were to release original theatrical releases of all Star Was, ESB, and RotJ, I will take this as a sign that everything is well and right in the world.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:47 am

tanker27 wrote:
Me I never cared for Star Trek well except for the last movie reboot and 7 of 9 :wink: .

Dr. Crusher gets no respect... :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:53 am

TheEmrys wrote:
Now if Disney were to release original theatrical releases of all Star Was, ESB, and RotJ, I will take this as a sign that everything is well and right in the world.

Didn't George Lucas say that he had lost (destroyed) the originals and therefore we could never go back to them?
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
XFX Radeon RX 580

superjawes

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:56 am

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
TheEmrys wrote:

Didn't George Lucas say that he had lost (destroyed) the originals and therefore we could never go back to them?

I don't necessarily need the theatrical version when it comes to special effects, but all that bull**** that changes what happened can be cut right out.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:05 pm

I love both Trek and Wars. I speak Klingon and Huttese. Anomaly I am!
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Igor_Kavinski

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:38 pm

I think what the original trilogy had was soul. That's what made it so memorable. Disney will probably make a fun movie but when you are done eating your popcorn, you will cease to care anymore about it. I do hope I am wrong. But usually the best things come when you least expect them or haven't heard about them.

TheEmrys

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:49 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
TheEmrys wrote:

Even if this is true, there are so many ways they could release them again. Shoot, just get me the laserdisk version on DVD and I'd be satisfied. Blu-Ray and I'd be ecstatic.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8