Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Spirit
Gerbil
Topic Author

Heat issues or dead video card?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:48 pm

I've been seeing graphical corruption whenever I try to play Diablo 3. The screen freezes for a minute, then all the graphics glitch out. It looks like all the textures and polygons are out of place, though I can still click on options if I can find them. Also, I get occasional stuttering while surfing the internet and in other apps. I have listed CPU/GPU temps below and my system setup. Also, I have tried opening the case and running a desk fan on the GPU, which didn't make much of a difference. Any help you can give would be appreciated!

CPU/GPU Temps at Idle (Celsius/Fahrenheit):
Core0 = 38/100
Core1 = 37/98
Core2 = 41/105
Core3 = 38/100
GPU = 46/114

CPU/GPU Temps just after Diablo 3 crash (Celsius/Fahrenheit):
Core0 = 47/116
Core1 = 45/112
Core2 = 50/121
Core3 = 48/18
GPU = 83/181

My system setup:
CPU: Core i7-920
GPU: Geforce GTX 260
RAM: 4GB

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Heat issues or dead video card?

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:41 pm

The GPU temps are normal... And if GPU starts overheating - it should simply "throttle down" its own clock speeds without producing visual artifacts... Check the GPU fan: is it rotating full speed? If yes - then it's highly unlikely it is overheating. Also, make sure you have the latest official video drivers installed. Try checking other games (if you don't have any - download free game demos from Steam or somewhere else), or running benchmarks like the free "FurMark". If you'll get similar visual corruption with all of them and you have the latest drivers and the GPU fan is working - then your GPU or video RAM is most likely bad and you probably need a new card.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people