Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Windows 8 Pro upgrade - redownload needed

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Anybody know how to do this, short of calling Microsoft and then arguing with Bangalore for an hour?

The basic problem is that my home connection is a terminally slow 1.5mb DSL connection, so I figured I would just purchase and download the Upgrade at work after business hours. Which I did...and, oops, my computer at work is 32-bit, while the target computer at home is 64-bit. So guess what Microsoft did, without even asking :evil:

Now I can't figure out how to re-download the correct version. Has anybody else run into this?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Re: Windows 8 Pro upgrade - redownload needed

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Go to http://www.mswos.com/ and enter in basic order details (Order Number, lastname, email). I've verified that it brings up my license information, so it should be legitimate. The link to download the installer is halfway down the page under the "Print Receipt" button.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:29 pm

That is a poor choice for Microsoft in a domain name. There's no way that I can be sure that it really is a Microsoft site. The least they could have done is made it be something like www.mswos.microsoft.com or mswos.microsoft.com so that a customer can feel that they are actually dealing with microsoft and not someone trying to get details from existing customers.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:31 pm

nanoflower wrote:
That is a poor choice for Microsoft in a domain name. There's no way that I can be sure that it really is a Microsoft site.
Indeed, because all evidence suggests it isn't.

Ringofett
Gerbil

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:07 am

I read this and thought, hmm, maybe I should reinstall Web of Trust's plug-in. Can be useful some times.

Then saw this one hadn't been picked up on their radar yet, so I reported it. http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/mswos.com

In the end, gotta use sense. A website like that asking for information out of the blue, while not secured, should always be a red flag, just like a phone call asking for banking info, etc.

Sneaky bastards.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:46 am

I appreciate the vigilance against phishing, but we've got a false alarm going here. Arvato Digital Services, LLC is the contractor providing the Windows 8 Pro upgrade. The webupgrade tool notifies you of this before processing the payment, and it is noted on the same receipt which also includes the order ID and product key.

Now attempting the re-download. I'm actually at my 'rents place tonight, which has the same strangled 1.5mb DSL service as I do, but I'm on my laptop this time which is running Win7-64, so hopefully it grabs the right one. Gonna take half the night to download it, though.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:44 am

I think i have the 64bit 2.5+GB ISO for win 8 Pro.........let me know if u still need, and I'll look for somewhere I can upload it.
I got it cause I just got a win 7 laptop and bought the upgrade to try down the road.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:46 am

Thanks! I did get the 64-bit ISO on the second attempt, and just got the HTPC converted tonight. Sure do wish Microsoft's updater offered the choice, though. Seems silly to offer an upgrade to the Pro version and then assume the user has no idea what to pick.

It was also slightly disturbing to run the installer and then spend a half hour staring at a solid blue screen with white text :o

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:26 pm

ludi wrote:
It was also slightly disturbing to run the installer and then spend a half hour staring at a solid blue screen with white text :o
You know you're allowed to get up and do something else, right? It doesn't stop working if you look away. ;)

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 pm

Actually, I was sitting on the couch across from the TV, reviewing some documentation I had brought home from work. But the blue glow filled the room with wonderment, anticipation, and a Pavlovian dread.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 pm

ludi wrote:
Thanks! I did get the 64-bit ISO on the second attempt, and just got the HTPC converted tonight. Sure do wish Microsoft's updater offered the choice, though. Seems silly to offer an upgrade to the Pro version and then assume the user has no idea what to pick.

It took half an hour? I must be spoiled by SSDs...

ludi
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:16 am

Uhm, but this was an SSD -- Intel 520 series, 120GB.

However, the platform was about five years old, and I was doing the in-place upgrade, so it had to juggle around the existing program and driver base.