Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Win8 Odds and Ends

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:39 pm

General:
  1. Deleting files and folders no longer comes with a confirmation prompt.
  2. The pagefile.sys no longer uses a fixed ratio size (24GB of RAM = 6556MB Pagefile). Mark Russinovich complained about this bitterly. Seems he influenced a change.
  3. The OS will actually shrink the pagefile.sys over time! Original after install size above, current size 3407MB.
  4. The hiberfil.sys can be made smaller via an Admin command prompt with the command: powercfg /h /size 50 (Windows 7 also has this option.)
  5. There is now a swapfile.sys used by Modern UI apps.
  6. The Modern UI Advanced Restart option contains an entry to boot you directly into your UEFI firmware without user intervention. This feature does require firmware support.
  7. The OEM version of Windows 8 does not support legacy touch hardware of less than five points.
  8. The NTFS Advanced Security Settings menu has been vastly overhauled - for the better IMO.
  9. SuperFetch appears to be more aggressive in Windows 8 vs Windows 7.
SSD:
  1. Do not disable defrag in Windows 8! The defrag tool is what runs TRIM on SSDs!
  2. SuperFetch is used now even if you have an SSD drive.
Activation:
  1. The ability to change keys and activate Windows have been removed from the bottom of the System Properties in Windows 8 Enterprise. From an elevated command prompt you must:
    1. slmgr -ipk <key>
    2. slmgr -ato
      or
    3. slui 3
Profiles:
  1. Signing in with your Microsoft Account (Formerly Live, Formerly Passport) can result in unusual profile folder names (Hell_000).
Networking:
  1. Network profiles can only be renamed via Group Policy or Registry Editing. (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles)
  2. Network profiles can no longer be merged. (Registry workaround)
  3. Changing Network Locations - such as from Public to Private (aka Home or Work) - is no longer done in the Network and Sharing Center. See here
  4. The old Network Location panel still exists, but requires an ugly hack. See below.
  5. Windows 8 Enterprise has pieces of the new Server 2012 network teaming options within the OS, but lacks the ability to create the team.
Hyper-V:
  1. If your Intel Management Engine Interface driver is too old it will result in Hyper-V failing to install and it will accuse your box of lacking the required hardware virtualization support.
  2. The Hyper-V hypervisor does not support Hybrid Sleep.
IE10:
  1. IE10 finally has spellcheck built-in.
  2. Tabs in the background cannot automatically play Flash video.

Network Location Hack
Open Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\NetworkList\Profiles

Each GUID key represents one network and contains the associated friendly name within the ProfileName string entry.

Select the connection whose network location you want to change.  Copy the GUID of that network including the brackets - { } - and paste it into the string below.  You will replace the GUID ID in the string below as that string is simply an example.

"C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe" pnidui.dll,NwCategoryWiz {40087600-D0A0-41C6-B161-AACCD57C9900} 0

Once this string has your GUID copied earlier entered copy it and paste it into a command prompt, shortcut, or Run dialog box.

If done correctly it will bring up the old wizard UI that allows you to define the network location.  Incorrectly doing this has no output.

Before selecting your network location make sure that the network name listed in the dialog matches the network you wanted to change.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Win8 Odds and Ends

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:47 pm

You should probably add info about "classic" Start menu add-ons (free and paid alternatives), I think this will benefit A LOT of the Win8 users :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

onlysublime
Gerbil

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:32 pm

a lot of those behaviors have built-in options to switch them.

i'll take the first one:

edit: alright I took my own screenshot and it's in my own account on a picture hosting site? is that okay?

in fact, this was one of the very first options I changed back to the old behavior.

Edit by Ryu Connor: Rule #3 - Do not use image tags to display pictures in a thread if you don't own, control, have permission, or are responsible for the server on which the images are hosted.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:05 am

I'll be bookmarking this thread. Thanks Ryu.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:39 am

I can't believe MS frigging disabled showing the recycle bin prompt each time you delete a file by default.

That's just... Pretty much everyone who has ran a computer for years or some computing device has accidentally deleted a file and recovered it from the recycle bin only because they saw that prompt. There's streamlining, and then there's carelessly streamlining...

vandy
Gerbil

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:31 am

Thank you! Good to see a real informative W8 thread.

Windows 8 Upgrade full clean install still works like it did in W7:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE]
"MediaBootInstall"=dword:00000000

In administrator command prompt type "slmgr /rearm"
Reboot, activate.

Make the Chrome Metro tile to load up desktop chrome:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ChromeHTML\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Chrome\.exe\shell\open\command]
"DelegateExecute"=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Chrome\.exe\shell\opennewwindow\command]
"DelegateExecute"=-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Chrome\.exe\shell\run\command]
"DelegateExecute"=-

Create your own metro tiles:
Get your metro icon sets at deviantart
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=31878314#post31878314

Classic Shell:
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/gallery.html

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:37 pm

How to enable flash support on websites that aren't on Microsoft's whitelist: Link
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:41 pm

Did they change the shift+delete behavior as well? I'm fine not seeing a prompt for recycling bin since things are still recoverable at that point, but taking it away from a shift+delete could be dangerous.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:58 pm

I added some info about Activating Windows 8 Enterprise. Not sure if that quirk exists on Home or Pro.

superjawes wrote:
Did they change the shift+delete behavior as well? I'm fine not seeing a prompt for recycling bin since things are still recoverable at that point, but taking it away from a shift+delete could be dangerous.

Shift+Del result in a are you sure confirmation prompt.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

superjawes

Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:45 am

Ryu Connor wrote:
Shift+Del result in a are you sure confirmation prompt.

Excellent. Thank you.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:04 pm

The OS has always had the ability to expand the pagefile and even shrink it back it the defined minimums. With Windows 8 a system managed pagefile can shrink the pagefile considerably in size.

As noted above the pagefile after install started at roughly 6GB. After roughly two weeks of use the pagefile has shrunk in half to roughly 3GB.

This also gives me an opportunity to show the aggressive caching of SuperFetch.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:54 pm

I've got a growing list of Windows 8 annoyances:

1. The mail app sucks. It doesn't seem to work right at all. Not all of the apps settings are exposed by going to the apps settings, I have discovered. Some settings can only be accessed in certain ways.

2. The Modern UI is less unobtrusive than I thought. It's kludgy. And I'll tell you what this OS needs is a keyboard shortcut list. Any Google Docs users here? In Google Docs if you press Ctrl + / it brings up a menu of all available keyboard shortcuts. Windows 8 needs this badly. All in all, Modern UI is half backed and does not enhance desktop productivity. This hurts for me to say because I had a lot of hope. Oh, and live tiles are totally distracting, and by the time I cleared all the tiles off that I'll never use there are very few tiles left, making the whole Modern UI essentially worthless.

3. Backup is totally WTF'd up. I did an in-place upgrade from Windows 7. My data backup from Windows 7 is inaccessible by Windows 8. Furthermore, Windows 8 tells me that my disk is in immanent risk of failure, which it most certainly is not. Apparently this is a widespread problem.

In my opinion, if I am frustrated with Modern UI, there are going to be many millions frustrated by it, because I tend to be more forgiving of unfamiliar UIs than most.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:48 pm

If you don't mind, I'd like to split off your post into an independent thread. I'd like the odds and ends to be for tips, tricks, and changes.

A few things to try to solve the issue.

1. I'd suggest Windows Live Mail or even Thunderbird for the desktop. The mail app is not well fleshed, IIRC Peter Bright bagged on it pretty hard in his review as well.

2. I found that pinning my most commonly used apps to the taskbar was more rich an outcome for me than worrying about the start screen. You can right click on the icons in the start screen and select to pin them to the taskbar. Uncommonly used apps I left pinned to the start screen to access. Rarely used apps I just search for.

win + x, win + i, win + f, win + c

These four short cuts I found to be the most rich in terms of use.

Remember that typing at the start screen brings up search as well.

It took me a day or two to get comfy. Your first thoughts about how to access something aren't typically available. After a week I was ready to transition my laptop over and was settled in.

I do think that more access tips after install would have been a helpful choice from Microsoft.

3. This appears to be an ACL issue.

Right click the WindowsImageBackup folder > properties > security tab > advanced > owner: change

Take ownership of the contents, this should make them accessible. The backups that Windows 7 created used .vhd files so once you have ACL permissions to them you should be able to do things like mount the backups like a hard disk for example.

As for the imminent failure bit, sounds like you found an answer there. Weird stuff.

Ideally for Windows 8 I suggest a transition from an MBR to GPT disk for it (there are a handful of GPT benefits including faster boot, better security, and better fault tolerance). Windows 8 converts disks to GPT by default in a fresh install on a UEFI system, but many people did upgrades instead. To make the change now would require for partitions to be wiped. Unfortunately sounds like you don't have the space for that kind of shuffle at the moment. :(

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:27 pm

Sure, split it if you like. I didn't mean to thread crap. Heck, you can just delete it since there's not much point in yet another Windows 8 thread. :D

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:19 pm

So, on both my main computer and in a virtual machine, I've noticed the following: soon after a fresh OS install and during initial system configuration I run disk cleanup for the first time, the process freezes, I quit the process and then reboot the machine, and during the shutdown process a "Windows is configuring your updates" message appears and then the shutdown process freezes, so I hard-reset, then the "Windows is configuring your updates" message appears again during startup; afterwards, everything seems normal. But this has been repeatable for me on two different "computers" if you're willing to count my virtual machine as a computer.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 am

I dont know if this should go here but I didnt want to start yet another Win8 thread.

I see a problem with Alt-Tabbing open programs, Its not as smooth as it was before and I dont get the little window that shows open programs like in Win7. When I alt- tab its a luck of the draw of which program I am tabbing to. Also its not as quick as it was before and my screen goes black for about 2-3 seconds before coming 'on' to the alt-tabbed program.

Anyone encounter this and have a solution?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:56 am

tanker27 wrote:
I dont know if this should go here but I didnt want to start yet another Win8 thread.
You made the right choice, in my opinion. This thread should be sticky as the general Windows 8 problems and solutions thread, IMO.

I see a problem with Alt-Tabbing open programs, Its not as smooth as it was before and I dont get the little window that shows open programs like in Win7. When I alt- tab its a luck of the draw of which program I am tabbing to. Also its not as quick as it was before and my screen goes black for about 2-3 seconds before coming 'on' to the alt-tabbed program.

Well, I don't have any problem like that. Alt+Tab brings up the programs I can switch between and does so instantaneously without any glitchy-ness. So you definitely have an issue.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:37 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Well, I don't have any problem like that. Alt+Tab brings up the programs I can switch between and does so instantaneously without any glitchy-ness. So you definitely have an issue.

Hmm I wonder what it is....
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:26 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Hmm I wonder what it is....

I've got my list of issues. For instance, Windows 8 keeps dropping my mapped network drives. It's F-ing annoying. Also, every once in a while, it will decide that any file saved or renamed on a network drive needs to adhere to eight-dot-three format. Takes a reboot to fix these.

But, for the most part the OS stays out of my way and lets me get work done.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Try this for your disappearing network drives.

net use X: \\IP_Address\Share /persistent:yes

That should force shares to stick around. :)

SuperSpy

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Try this for your disappearing network drives.

net use X: \\IP_Address\Share /persistent:yes

That should force shares to stick around. :)

I was under the impression the persistent option was by default now. Is that not actually true?
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:38 pm

Not sure. Old habit to use the command line with persistent switch.

James Carlsom
Gerbil

List of things that make Windows 8 better.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:26 pm

Please add to this list

User Interface / Start Menu Hacks:

Start 8, $5.00, http://www.classicstart8.com/download
Walt Mossberg Approved Start Menu

The Prompt, currently free, http://theprompt.com
On the fly user interface alternative

Keyboard shortcuts:

CTRL+ESC: Open Start menu
ALT+TAB: Switch between open programs
ALT+F4: Quit program
Windows Logo+L: Lock the computer (without using CTRL+ALT+DELETE)

Use a touchpad

Logitech’s Wireless Touchpad T650, http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2013/02/review-logitech-wireless-touchpad-t650/

A touchscreen PC
Microsoft Touchsceen PC's http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/categoryID.62684600?icid=Homepage_TopCat_3_Computers_050513
Last edited by Flying Fox on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit by mod - merged into odds and ends thread, please do not spawn multiple threads essentially on bitching about the OS

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: List of things that make Windows 8 better.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:54 pm

Windows 8 IS a good OS. Microsoft made a lot of improvements under the head. It's really just the gui. Bring back the start button (AND start menu) and people seem to be pretty happy with it, so I don't think anything more is needed. Of course, even with a start button/menu, I really really like my Aero gui.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:03 am

My only true complaint about windows 8 is that you can't toggle off metro or whatever its actually called. It's a nice thing for touch enabled things, but not for desktops.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:51 am

Ari Atari wrote:
My only true complaint about windows 8 is that you can't toggle off metro or whatever its actually called. It's a nice thing for touch enabled things, but not for desktops.

That's coming in 8.1, very soon. It's smooth.

James Carlsom
Gerbil

Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Ari Atari wrote:

That's coming in 8.1, very soon. It's smooth.

I'm currently running Windows 8.1 release preview and unfortunately I can not figure out how to turn off metro. Can you tell me the steps to turn it off or show me the link?

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 am

You cannot disable metro in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. What they're probably talking about is the ability to boot to desktop which was introduced in 8.1.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 am

Great thread by the way. Here are some that I have noticed myself in Windows 8 Pro with media center x64 (StartIsBack is also installed):

• Scheduled tasks can't be set up to send e-mail or display a message. The options exist but only to manage scheduled tasks on computers running windows 7 or earlier.
  • Windows 8 will automatically log in the last user logged into the machine before shut down if said user does not have a password. This isn't so bad if you're the only user on the machine, but if there are multiple users and a password-less account was signed on last it can get pretty annoying.
  • If you set Windows Updates to alert but never download/install automatically you will never see a prompt a la XP/Vista/7 in the notification area on the desktop. I have read that you're supposed to see them pop-up or at least show up in the action center notification icon but I have never seen this. I only see an alert when I'm at the login page -- it may appear somewhere in the start page interface but as I have StartIsBack installed I am never on that page.

tipoo
Gerbil First Class

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:08 am

I’ve been using it for months before the general release (MSDN), there’s really no reason for 8 users not to upgrade ASAP. I don’t even use StartIsBack anymore now that universal start search is back. Lots of nice little tweaks around both modes of UI. And it's nice to know they're still always improving the graphics pipeline and other nitty gritty performance stuff even if the difference isn't too noticeable over 8.

And gah, the start screen complainers. My usage is the exact same as it was on 7. Hit start button, enter a few letters of what I want, hit enter, and bam it's open on the desktop. You can still pin things to the taskbar too, you know. And if you really still can't stand either of those, there's always startisback.

It’s a shame that they still don’t allow IE extensions. IE11 is FAST. In my testing, even faster than Chrome, and worlds ahead of Firefox in both their latest releases. The GPU acceleration is top notch, everything is very smooth. If it had extensions, I’d consider making it my primary browser. But with Quero adblock I don't even mind lack of extensions that much, but I'll still stick to Chrome.