Next upgrade?

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Next upgrade?

Postposted on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:39 am

So you can see my system specs in my sig. My friend just got me the sweet video card (I was running on-board video before that), so I've got $100 for an upgrade coming up in January. What would be the most effective upgrade? Right now I'm heavily leaning toward a 1TB HDD (I'm running an 80 GB 'Media' drive right now and it's getting crowded). Any other upgrades you could see that would make a bigger difference at this point?
Phenom II X4 840
MSI Radeon HD 7770 OC
90 GB Corsair Force 3
80 GB HDD
Asus M5A88-V Evo
Antec Three Hundred
8 GB Corsair XMS3 DD3 1333
Klanky
Gerbil
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: Wallkill, NY

Re: Next upgrade?

Postposted on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 am

Yeah, your best bet is probably to get yourself some more storage. Even if you had more to upgrade something like your processor or processor/mobo, I would still suggest more storage space so things aren't too crowded.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Next upgrade?

Postposted on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:17 am

Wow, an SSD with more space than your storage drive ? :o Second the recommendation to add more storage to that 'storage' drive. My idea of storage is the 3TB drive I bought 2 weeks ago.
Intel i5 2500K@4.3, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD, Zotax GTX580, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB (RAID-0), Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Corsair H80, Win 7 Pro
Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:15 am

Re: Next upgrade?

Postposted on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:16 pm

A 128gb samsung 830 or crucial m4 will fit your budget nicely and it will give a significant boost to your system.
vandy
Gerbil
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: Next upgrade?

Postposted on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:20 pm

vandy wrote:A 128gb samsung 830 or crucial m4 will fit your budget nicely and it will give a significant boost to your system.


Klanky's System wrote:Phenom II X4 840
MSI Radeon HD 7770 OC
90 GB Corsair Force 3
80 GB HDD
Asus M5A88-V Evo
Antec Three Hundred
8 GB Corsair XMS3 DD3 1333

His system already has an SSD...putting another one in there wouldn't give him that much of a boost.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Next upgrade?

Postposted on Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:29 pm

superjawes wrote:
vandy wrote:A 128gb samsung 830 or crucial m4 will fit your budget nicely and it will give a significant boost to your system.


Klanky's System wrote:Phenom II X4 840
MSI Radeon HD 7770 OC
90 GB Corsair Force 3
80 GB HDD
Asus M5A88-V Evo
Antec Three Hundred
8 GB Corsair XMS3 DD3 1333

His system already has an SSD...putting another one in there wouldn't give him that much of a boost.


Oops didn't have my reading glasses on. :oops:
vandy
Gerbil
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: Next upgrade?

Postposted on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Needs more storage drive. Pick up one of these while they're still available.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5470
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Next upgrade?

Postposted on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:13 pm

i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 15540
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie


Return to General Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests