Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

gallicbear
Gerbil
Topic Author

LGA 1155 socket delicate

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:22 am

A couple of years ago I built my first system, with an AM3 socket and an Athlon II x3 processor. It went without a hitch and has been running with no problems since. Just this last week I put together a system with an LGA 1155 socket / i3 3220 processor. It wouldn't fire up! I must have tried many times after checking different connections. Even had a tech look at it. Either the motherboard was not transmitting juice at some point or the processor had a problem. Well, no sense beating a dead horse. For now I ordered a new motherboard which I will get in a couple of days. With the AM3, the processor pins fit into holes. I am freaking out about bending pins when I am installing the processor. This is my question: Are LGA1155 sockets so much more delicate with their pin on pin system? Then I noticed that the i3 3220 processor has some brown spots among the pins. Does it necessarily mean it is a lost cause? I bought it new and I only tried to fire it. How can it have brown spots? The cooler fan and PSU fan barely turned for a few seconds. Another thing that bugs me is that the heatsink/cooler for the AM3 was so much easier to install. The i3 3220, on the other hand, has those wiggling legs that don't really seat right. Would appreciate your tips and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: LGA 1155 socket delicate

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Even if you bent the pins on the CPU socket, the motherboard should still try to POST (ie, you'd hear the motherboard power on and most likely beep to indicate an error/failure and/or the screen would freeze at post with an error code displayed). I would go back and unplug/replug every power connection from the power supply. And also make sure your cases' power button is still connected to the pins on the motherboard correctly. If the computer doesn't post, it's most likely the motherboard or the power supply.

When I built my last PC inside a used case, it wouldn't start, and it ended up being one of the wires to the power switch itself had been yanked out... But I don't think that's likely.

mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Are we still talking about the fragility of pins on LGA mobos? What is this 2006?

vandy
Gerbil

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Return/exchange/RMA everything and start anew + learn from experience. :)

When you say brown spots on the CPU, is it on the heat spreader or on the underside of the CPU? Pics?

Yes the pins on the 1155 sockets are very delicate. However, the CPU edge and surrounding support is keyed so there is only one way to seat it properly and I haven't encountered any problems. And yes I never liked those damn clips on the intel HSF. I like the AMD ones much much better. Whenever I have to use the Intel Stock HSF, I always quadruple check the install to make sure it is seated right.

vandy
Gerbil

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:26 pm

mph_Ragnarok wrote:
Are we still talking about the fragility of pins on LGA mobos? What is this 2006?

OP said he just built a new rig last week and it sounds like it is his first encounter with 1155 socket. Don't be a dick.

mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:30 pm

vandy wrote:
mph_Ragnarok wrote:

OP said he just built a new rig last week and it sounds like it is his first encounter with 1155 socket. Don't be a dick.

I forgot this place is patrolled by the feelings-police where every user is an undercover feelings-cop.

I just don't get what is so damn hard. I've "installed" many LGA cpus. What is the big deal you raise the metal frame, remove the plastic cap, lay in cpu, close frame, close latch.

vandy
Gerbil

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:33 pm

mph_Ragnarok wrote:
vandy wrote:
mph_Ragnarok wrote:

I forgot this place is patrolled by the feelings-police where every user is an undercover feelings-cop.

I just don't get what is so damn hard. I've "installed" many LGA cpus. What is the big deal you raise the metal frame, remove the plastic cap, lay in cpu, close frame, close latch.

Haven't gotten laid in awhile huh? Its ok, I forgive you. Need a hug?

gallicbear
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Thank you all for your input. The PSU was to be excluded in this situation. I had connected an external one into the 4pin / 24pin sockets. Same results... No POST happened.
And when I mentioned how fragile the pins are, I noticed after the fact that there were several bent pins on the socket itself (which were NOT bent at first). I guess I am wondering how these pins connect or interlock, between the socket (pins up) and the processor (pins down). Do they touch each other? Does each pin carry a different signal of some sort?
As far as the brown spots on the CPU, they are on the down side (the side with the pins), not the top. Thanks again.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:22 pm

You can try to RMA the mobo, not sure if they'll take it back seeing as though you bent the pins. Next time be more careful and follow the installation manual that comes with the processor. Hopefully it didn't short circuit/fry your CPU, but you'll have to try a new mobo to figure that out.

As an alternative, you can grab a magnifying glass and try to straighten the bent pins. Can't hurt.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

thegst
Gerbil XP

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Sorry to hear about the bent pins and situation - though the pins are pretty easy to bend if you ham-hand it to some degree.
Not being accusatory but that is likely what happened, lack of experience/the 'feel' probably did it.

The easiest way to straighten the pins is with an empty, small mechanical pencil. Slip the hollow end over the bent pin and carefully straighten it.
I would try to POST the setup after straightening what you can. The brown spot might have been a cross connect and crisped things a bit.

If still no go, it'll at least be easier to RMA with no bent pins. Good luck.
Mazinger [email protected]/3800mhz -Gig EP45-UD3R -4GB Corsair XMS2 CL5-5-5-15 1100mhz -Sapphire HD6850 900/1100 -OCZ Vertex 3 120GB -WD Black 750GB -Corsair TX650
BSOD -Q6700 -Intel DP43SG -8GB PNY DDR3 -HPT 2640x1 -4x2TB WD Green RAID5 -Seasonic S12-500

gallicbear
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks, DPete27 and thegst, for the latest. As indicated, I did order a new motherboard and am waiting for it. Hopefully things will go 'easy' this time and that the problem was with the mobo. I never expected that complication. And yes, I will work at straightening the pins. Appreciate the tip about the magnifying glass and the mechanical pencil.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:59 pm

gallicbear wrote:
Appreciate the tip about the magnifying glass and the mechanical pencil.

A hose from a can of comressed air or can of WD-40, or a coffee straw work well also.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

gallicbear
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Sounds like a great idea, DPete27. I'll try that. Thanks.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:25 pm

gallicbear wrote:
Thank you all for your input. The PSU was to be excluded in this situation. I had connected an external one into the 4pin / 24pin sockets. Same results... No POST happened.
And when I mentioned how fragile the pins are, I noticed after the fact that there were several bent pins on the socket itself (which were NOT bent at first). I guess I am wondering how these pins connect or interlock, between the socket (pins up) and the processor (pins down). Do they touch each other? Does each pin carry a different signal of some sort?
As far as the brown spots on the CPU, they are on the down side (the side with the pins), not the top. Thanks again.

Um, what "pins down" on the processor? The underside of an LGA1155 processor doesn't have pins. The processor has pads on the bottom that make contact with the spring pins in the socket. Here is a good set of pictures:
http://techreport.com/review/18216/inte ... ocessors/3

--SS

mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:47 pm

vandy wrote:

Oh the irony, douche. And don't touch me, I don't want a hug from you sweaty fat man.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:05 pm

If you've excluded the PSU, then you may as well try your luck returning the motherboard. If it is the pins, more than likely you will be given a hard time trying to RMA it. This is one of the first things they normally check when a new motherboard comes back DOA or the like. If you want your PC working as soon as possible, then you may want to contact the manufacturer and RMA it with them directly (as Newegg, for example, will just send the board straight back to you once bent pins are detected). Some motherboard manufacturers have specific bent-pin RMA policies (ie, ASRock with charge you a flat fee - around $50 - and then swap for a brand new board no questions asked). $50 is better than having to fork out for a brand new board and this route will get you up and running the fastest.

And socket 1155 or 2011 pins are a pain in the ass to work with if you're not used to them. Back in the good ol' days when CPUs had less pins and they were on the CPU itself, they were much more durable and easier to bend back into place. You could also mount the CPU in the socket vertically if, for some reason, you needed to remove/replace without taking out the motherboard. With 1155/2011 and the like, you basically have to lay the motherboard horizontally and be much more careful. Price of progress I guess...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:39 pm

OK all, if you don't have info or assistance to post; don't post.

Thanks for listening.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

gallicbear
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks, SecretSquirrel. My mistake-no the processor itself doesn't have pins at the bottom. Was getting confused. I appreciate your explanations and the link.
Thanks, cynan for the tip about returning the mobo. It is a brandnew Asus. I'll look into it.

mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:05 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
OK all, if you don't have info or assistance to post; don't post.

Thanks for listening.

I'm going to close my account. I just realized this was never really a community to discuss or chat, but more of a tactic to milk free tech support from users while the few owners make modest money from the advertisements.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:46 pm

gallicbear wrote:
Thanks, SecretSquirrel. My mistake-no the processor itself doesn't have pins at the bottom. Was getting confused. I appreciate your explanations and the link.
Thanks, cynan for the tip about returning the mobo. It is a brandnew Asus. I'll look into it.

I figured as much, but I also had this vision in my head of you trying to line up a CPU with actual pins on it with all those pins in the socket -- :lol:

--SS

vandy
Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:41 am

gallicbear wrote:

Going through newegg reviews, some people received motherboards with bent pins already. I've never experienced that myself, but nowadays whenever I buy a new intel mobo, i always check the socket for bent pins first. I also keep the socket protector in a safe place and always use it when swapping out CPUs. I remember when I got my first 1156 board, the sleeve on my shirt somehow got caught on the motherboard socket. Yea it was like velcro. :cry:

mph_Ragnarok wrote:
vandy wrote:

Oh the irony, douche. And don't touch me, I don't want a hug from you sweaty fat man.

If my reply is indeed ironic, then it would be true that you haven't been laid for a REALLY long time. In which case, I apologize. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. But yea, sucks to be you.

gallicbear
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks for the input, vandy. I actually got mine from TigerDirect. My new mobo is coming from Newegg. I'll be watching out for bent pins. A lesson to learn...

DarkUltra
Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:11 pm

gallicbear wrote:

I guess one third carries power, one third PCIe lanes, and the last third memory data and address buses. They don't interlock, just gently touch the cpu conductive pads.

If you are stressed it is very easy to bend pins! I did with my 2011 motherblard but I discovered it before I fastened the cpu and bent them back. The system has been fine, even overclocks to 4.5ghz but i only have a single graphics card.

gallicbear
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:32 pm

Amazing board! I've never gotten that many helpful answers at any forum. Thanks, DarkUltra. I'll keep that in mind.

carpo
Gerbil In Training

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:34 pm

cynan wrote:
Even if you bent the pins on the CPU socket, the motherboard should still try to POST ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test says that for POST to do its magic - a CPU is required. That is - the BIOS needs to verify its self, and for that it needs a CPU. If there is a bent pin - then there is no CPU, which means there will be maybe lights, but that's about it...

No idea if its repairable, though... Someone said before me that if its noticed before power up - it may just work!

The above makes me wonder about UEFI, though...

gallicbear
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Interesting post, carpo. I found that link/article quite educational. Thanks.