Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

dachicas333
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Very Quick Question concening a DVI Split

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:16 pm

Been looking for the ability to use 2 pcs on the same monitor both with DVI connections, i want a switch that enables me to toggle between both pcs. I have been able to find the exact opposite in terms of a switch displaying the same feed from one PC on 2 monitors. A little help would be highly appreciated , im sure sucha device exists but do to its low popularity/necessity is hard to find. Thank you for your time.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Very Quick Question concening a DVI Split

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Are you looking for a KVM switch? I'm assuming you aren't looking for simultaneous input..

dachicas333
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:43 pm

I dont know what a KVM switch is, my apologies for takeing up ur guys time. I just cant get the wording correctly to do my own searching. Basicaly just 2 computers with old DVI connecters , 1 i use for data mining, and the other as my main rig for gameing. I just want to be able to toggle between both inputs PC's on my monitor from time to time( Both pcs connected to the same monitor with easy switching/toggling of which display i want to look at). I game/internet on my main Rig, and on my second rif i use solely for my buisness and have software running at all times which i need to monitor constantly. I do not want to purchase another monitor, i just need the ability to switch back and forth on the same monitor to see either computer. 2 pcs seperate pc's , 1 monitor used to toggle between both pcs when i need to check on my buisness rig after breaks inbetween gameing on my main rig. I can just unplug/plug in the other cable but it would be a hastle or buy another monitor, wondering if i can bypass either of these options. Thank you for your time guys.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:45 pm

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

dachicas333
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Ty very much. I understand now there is no simple Y split for 2 PC's to 1 monitor as they both have their own mouse/keyboard. I was looking for an inexpensive solution. This seems to be the only route and save me from purchasing another monitor. Ty for your time as i know this was a "nub" question. Many thanks :)

videobits
Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Here's a cheaper option for you:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... largeimage
PS2 connectors, but sounds like for your app it won't an isssue.

Here's an alternate thought for you: Can you simply use your monitor to do the switching? It seems like almost every monitor with a DVI input also has a VGA/RGB input as well. So, you could simply route VGA out of your second computer to the monitor and switch inputs there. If you have a DVI to VGA adaptor and a cable it will be no cost (and surely someone you know has these things as spare 'junk').-

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Assuming your computers are networked, just remote into the work machine from the gaming rig?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.