Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

inexpensive home theater speakers

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm looking for a little more oomph in my TV speakers than the ones built into the TV, but money is really tight right now. In order to get a decent value setup (could be a 2.1 setup, 5.1 is not required) what kind of price range am I looking at? Right now I have my age-old Cambridge SoundWorks PC Works 2.1 hooked up to my TV and it's pathetic...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: inexpensive home theater speakers

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:13 pm

FireGryphon wrote:
I'm looking for a little more oomph in my TV speakers than the ones built into the TV, but money is really tight right now. In order to get a decent value setup (could be a 2.1 setup, 5.1 is not required) what kind of price range am I looking at? Right now I have my age-old Cambridge SoundWorks PC Works 2.1 hooked up to my TV and it's pathetic...

If you don't wanna deal with whole receiver+speakers setup and a bunch of annoying cables, you might wanna look at something like http://www.zvoxaudio.com Not sure if their price range is acceptable to you, but their sound quality is pretty good and much better than built-in TV speakers, plus those systems fit perfectly under flat-screen TV's... Plus they are very easy to setup. Of course, you should try and listen to one of these first, or at least buy it from a place where you can easily return it.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:30 pm

It really depends on your budget.

If you can push a bit past the $250 range, you can start to break into the not-too-terrible home theater in-a-box domain.

The Onkyo systems come with a full receiver, subwoofer, and 5 to 7 speaker surround setups and start from as little as $270 (current Amazon price)

If the budget is less than $250, I would stick with a quality 2.1 computer speaker system or set of lower end studio monitors. While the studio monitors might get you better fidelity, a 2.1 computer system will get you a bit more dynamic range due to the inclusion of a subwoofer (ie, the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system) at $149.

At around the $600 range and up, It starts to get worthwhile to look at getting the receiver and speakers separately, but I take it that is probably beyond what you were looking to spend.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:42 am

This post needs budget.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:30 am

Beware the audiophiles in this thread; Flatpanel TV speakers are shockingly bad and even cheap HT-in-a-box solutions are orders of magnitude better than them. My advice would be to go for something cheap if you're not going to go all-out.

All you really need to make a big difference is a subwoofer, in most cases but I found that the HTIB packages with a Dolby certification at least guarantee a minimum sound quality. It's nothing great, but it eliminates the utter junk from your selection.

Something like this wouldn't be a bad idea - you also get HDMI-CEC and I've used a similar system to upmix stereo to pseudo-surround with satisfying effects.

No, it's not the last word in audio quality.
No, the frequency response might be lacking in a few places that muddies complex bass riffs or emphasises low-bitrate MP3's
Yes, the damn thing just works over HDMI-CEC so I don't have to juggle remotes and keep switching input devices all over the place.
Yes, the sound is several times better than the TV's speakers.

Good enough that I don't really notice anymore, and good enough that just occasionally I am surprised by the sound quality for what is a taboo topic among audiophiles: cheap HTIB packages.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:40 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Good enough that I don't really notice anymore, and good enough that just occasionally I am surprised by the sound quality for what is a taboo topic among audiophiles: cheap HTIB packages.

Actually here in TR, affordable branded HTIB sets have always been recommended.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:28 am

I've been recommending sound bars for people who want some oomph without spending a fortune.

Note prices here are Canadian since that is what I know... my US friends usually can take 10-20% off these prices.
Your options range from $69 for a decent bar to $300 to a good bar with sub woofer (wireless in some cases).

I have the $69 Vizio from WalMart for my low end setup. Some issues but does the job I bought it for.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-High-De ... d/16914359

I bought my Dad the $250 LG with Sub and love it.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-Sound-Bar- ... A/20565693

Best if you have optical output on your TV.

Edit was add links. and type.