Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Compress vs Canned Air

Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Van der Waals forces.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:34 pm

Derfer wrote:
(some of the absolutely disgusting animal/smoker abuse I've seen qualifies for this)

Oh man...I've received both computer and stereo components from long-term smoking households and that is some nasty business. The outermost layer is heavy dust glued into a mostly solidified layer of tar laced with nicotine. Some sort of clear liquid hydrocarbon or a can of electronics-safe solvent is pretty much the minimum to break it loose, and the smell that comes up from some of the more severe contamination is about halfway between new asphalt and old death.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:08 am

ludi wrote:
Derfer wrote:
(some of the absolutely disgusting animal/smoker abuse I've seen qualifies for this)

Oh man...I've received both computer and stereo components from long-term smoking households and that is some nasty business. The outermost layer is heavy dust glued into a mostly solidified layer of tar laced with nicotine. Some sort of clear liquid hydrocarbon or a can of electronics-safe solvent is pretty much the minimum to break it loose, and the smell that comes up from some of the more severe contamination is about halfway between new asphalt and old death.

Yeap, and the smell never goes away no matter how much "deposits" you'll try to remove :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:22 am

I once did an in home install for a customer. I felt so bad putting new hardware in this place, but of course I did it. When I came home the wife thought I had been smoking or something. I was in that house no more than 25-30 minutes. I never sat down and quickly got things installed as I started to get a headache and short on breathe. Bare in mind, I'm not that person who usually has those sorts of issues or is allergic to anything.

Short of the long... I had to wash the clothes I was wearing 4 times SEPARATELY to get the smell out of them. I seriously considered making a new policy to not do in-home installs in high risk environments again. Pretty sure there was at least 1-2 years worth of my life lost in that place.

I've never had an issue with electrostatic charged air from blowing components off. I think that may be taking things to a whole new level of worry on this scale, especially if the pressure is regulated to something reasonable.

I'm more than likely going to grab up that 8 Gallon Husky when I get the chance here in the next week or two, gotta finish using up the last 2 cans of air. Hopefully there will be a holiday sale by the time I'm ready to purchase.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:25 pm

Thats sounds like some nasty stuff right there. When I worked on site support more then a decade ago we had a comp like that, despite the fact that smoking was only allowed in special vac-cages, his comp in the office room was nasty. Just from second-hand touch. When the monitor stood on a cart outside our room, people that went past it asked if it had been on fire because it was so filthy.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri May 10, 2013 10:54 am

Thread, wake up! :P

DPete27 wrote:
If you're just using it to clean out computers, how about an electric duster for $53?

Saw this rechargeable unit on newegg. Went to their site and they claimed hand assembled in USA (feels like viewing infomercials though). The problem is I don't know how "160mph" compared to "500W" between these two. I wonder how many charges before the battery reaches its half life.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri May 10, 2013 11:07 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Thread, wake up! :P

DPete27 wrote:
If you're just using it to clean out computers, how about an electric duster for $53?

Saw this rechargeable unit on newegg. Went to their site and they claimed hand assembled in USA (feels like viewing infomercials though). The problem is I don't know how "160mph" compared to "500W" between these two. I wonder how many charges before the battery reaches its half life.

I had something similar a few years back (not the same model). It sucked. Didn't have enough pressure or velocity to do much of anything. It's buried in a box somewhere in the crawlspace, if I didn't just throw it in the trash (don't remember).

(Just a data point, take with a grain of salt since it wasn't actually the same unit.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

pcman2121
Gerbil In Training

Wed May 15, 2013 3:59 pm

is there a way to filter the air when using a portable air tank.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu May 16, 2013 8:54 am

If you mean the air coming out of a portable tank then yes, just look for an "air line filter".