Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

RainMotorsports
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Battlefield 3 One Year Anniversary Montage by RainMotorsport

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:30 am

You saw the trailer - http://youtube.com/watch?v=I05wwhaKCE4 now see the video!

Meh I am new to this forum, finally making a post and sadly its tricking myself out for candy :p Not sure if there is an embed tag compatible with this site but for now I will just have to link the video. Normally I just read the front page. Been meaning to come on the forums prior to this point. Not even sure when i signed up but the amount of sites I browse through daily I never ended up chatting with you guys.

Anyways Montage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XcqD36TIfQ

I wont tell you that I am entirely happy, because I am not. It got a little too long but I left out literally everything I could stand to leave out in this broad subject. The music is the main point which if I had more time would have been changed out. I was in search of video that was available for license or free for non commercial use and generally likable. But what I went with just doesn't fit the pace of the video.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Re: Battlefield 3 One Year Anniversary Montage by RainMotors

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:35 am

Welcomne to the forum and nice vid.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Welcome to the fora...

Some really nice stuff in that video, and some average stuff, but where the video really shines is the editing of it and the flow and transitions.

RainMotorsports
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:35 am

Thanks aphasia. I am an average player at best struggling to maintain a 1.0 KDR. But there are plenty of streaks and lucky moments that offsets those bad rounds that drag me down. When I started my original montage a month earlier the editing flowed really well from gun to gun and plane to plane but alot of that was broken up when I restarted since I included an extra expansion and had to shove as much footage into as little time as possible I wasn't worried about it. The editing I am fine with on my part but I think if the music was better it would hold on to an audience and the time would matter less and make for an overall better video.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:11 am

RainMotorsports wrote:
Thanks aphasia. I am an average player at best struggling to maintain a 1.0 KDR. But there are plenty of streaks and lucky moments that offsets those bad rounds that drag me down. When I started my original montage a month earlier the editing flowed really well from gun to gun and plane to plane but alot of that was broken up when I restarted since I included an extra expansion and had to shove as much footage into as little time as possible I wasn't worried about it. The editing I am fine with on my part but I think if the music was better it would hold on to an audience and the time would matter less and make for an overall better video.

Your video should be more of a chronicle of what a player would experience during this 1 year, something every BF3 player could relate to. That means playing as a foot soldier rampaging, helping your team by using the strenghts of your class (repair as engi, revive as medic etc.) then using all the vehicles either for fun, either doing kill streaks or just goofing around and bugging out of the map or something. The clips should have a consistency to them and they should create a sense of epicness from time to time or just make the viewer laugh.

As for music there are some songs you can use that won't take you down for copyright infringement. Mostly indie music, i know they will let you if you link to them and give credits. Pretty sure Mr. Meeble would let you use one of their songs if you give credits (check him out). Also i'm fairly positive you can use covers of famous songs, just look them up on youtube (but also give credits).

Edit, there is also classical music which afaik nobody will claim copyright. There are some epic songs out there that can used from this "genre".
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

RainMotorsports
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:40 am

Yeah everyones pushing on me for some epic classical peices. We actually explored that previously and the initial thought was like "heck yeah" and then I was like... well... so we are back to that one again. Some of the music I have looked at might go very well along with aftermath but I think Classical or classical inspired is going to fit right along with the nature of aftermath's environment.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:55 am

This is actually an interresting discussion brewing here... So if I might continute to spin on that for a bit.
Planning a good clip is decently hard, as well as music and tempo, etc. There has to be a decent flow of how the theme is layed out, then the tempo with ebbs and flows has to be worked out, preferably synced to the music, etc, not to short, not to long, etc. All that and then editing makes video a fairly high step to get into IMO. I did some video back in art-class in school, but at that time it wasnt done digitally but with videorecorders and editing tables.

But the worst part is, I always forget to actually put fraps into loop mode so when I do some really nice intensive stuff I have often found that I didnt have fraps on loop-record. Although I have a few nice things that I have recorded I've been thinking of getting into a montage. After some 600 hours in game, theres bound to be a few interesting moments.

Btw, what editing suite are you using ?

I've done alot of fraps'ing, but I havent really done any real montages except a few small cuts on some sniper shots. But nowdays, I dont find that kindof thing all that interresting compared to the rest of the "battlefield moments" that has been had. I had one going in BC2 that was on hunting blackhawks as a sniper, but never got around to actually editing and doing something of all the clips I Frapsed.
Current ones - http://www.youtube.com/user/Damocles20D ... rid&view=0

Mostly because I havent found an editing suite I'm comfortable with. I've used virtualdub for cutting down stuff I dont want to save thanks to the direct stream copy, and also some compressing.

Frapsed a nice thing a couple of weeks ago and wanted to do stretch the time on certein parts and not others, just to start learning a sw-editing suite. Tried our premiere elements. Nope, wasnt any way I could find to do easily, had to cut apart the clip, streth every individual part and then splic em together again. Worthless. Tried out the real premiere pro trial... since I'm used to photoshop. Voila. Premiere was like... open effects windows, expand timeline controls, ctrl-click for keyframes and voila, edit the speed/streth of each segment on a timeline just by holding controls, and then adjust the transition controls around each key. Give you a very nice curve over the transition and speeds over the whole clip. Took something like 10 minutes from never having seen Premiere Pro before. Either it's me that just cant find the controls in Elements, or it's way to dumbed down.

RainMotorsports
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:05 pm

Yeah Premiere Elements is pretty bad if you ask me but I havent played with 11 yet. I wanted something legit so I stepped down from Premiere Pro to Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11 Production Suite for like 50 bucks and then upgraded the core app to 12 later for 60. Sony offers one of the better consumer editors on the market though the others are getting less restrictive.

Do speed up or slow down in Vegas or Movie Studio just hold ctrl and drag out the ends of the clips or squish. I am going to be doing some tutorials on my gaming communities site as well as mine soon here.

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:35 am

Do the Sony Vegas has a trial.

Thats one thing I like about Adobe, they actually have working 30day trials available so you can check out stuff ahead of buying them, which is nice, but the problem once you find them good is that most of them are too expensive to buy unless you are a business.

RainMotorsports
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:05 pm

I already own Sony Movie Studio and the only things Vegas really does that I can't do is what I would normally have to do in After Effects. Which does include some stuff I plan on doing next year. I trialed them all when I was looking for my next legit studio. Last one I owned was Pinnacle 12 which i had been upgrading since I got a copy of 9 with a input card back in high school. They got bought up by avid and was supposed to be an avid name product only, 15 was the last one. I got an email awhile back 16 is out.... wtf lol. Was always a horrible peice of junk.