Weird Windows 8 problems

Don't see a specific place for your hardware question? This is the forum for you!

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Weird Windows 8 problems

Postposted on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:00 am

I got a new system recently (thankyou to those who helped me pick my parts in a previous thread!)
It's damn fast, damn quiet, and it was damn affordable at ~$700.

I have a Presonus FireStudio Mobile recording interface which connects via a PCI firewire card.

I *think* it's the cause of some system problems I'm having.

Firstly, occasionally the sound will cut out and nothing will get it working again; unplugging and replugging the interface, disabling/re-enabling, etc. When this happens, If I try to restart or turn off the PC, regardless of whether I've since disconnected the interface, it gets to the point where there's no signal showing on the monitor but will never actually go ahead with the reboot or turn off. I have to force it off and back on.

Secondly, the sound crackles when I'm using some sites on Firefox. Particularly facebook, and particularly when I enlarge a photo. However this may be a general slowness problem as everything goes slow whenever I enlarge a photo. I'm running onboard gfx with HD 4000.

Thirdly, the system has locked up entirely twice now.

Anywhere I should start?
Thanks guys.

PS - My system specs..
Core i7 3770
2x 8GB G.SKILL 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v
GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP
Samsung 830 128GB + 2TB Caviar Green
Antec 550W EA-550 Platinum Power Supply
RhysAndrews
Gerbil

Re: Weird Windows 8 problems

Postposted on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:19 am

I have a hunch you're running into issues with GPU accelleration with the ever-troubled firefox/flash combo, but wild guesses are rarely the sensible option.
There's loads of things you can do, but speculating a dozen things to try for each of hundreds of potential things that could be causing it is not useful at this stage.

First thing to do is check the event viewer to see if it has managed to record why it is crashing and then assuming you come back empty-handed (not uncommon for lockups) you will want to stress-test it with Prime95 and also do a thorough memory check with Memtest x86.

1) Are there reported errors you can paste into Google?
2) Is the machine stable under high load?
3) Does all the memory check out?
I hear rig lists are all the rage, and I <3 the rage! Workstation = Black tower thing; HTPC = Shhhh!; Laptop - AMAZING FOLDING PC!
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:03 am

How long can you go without the firewire PCI adapter? Can you uninstall it and try to replicate the conditions that caused the hang-ups or sound issues?

Edit
Why did you said in the title Weird Windows 8 problems? Did the same setup worked fine with Windows 7?
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:05 pm

@Arclight
Granted this is a new system and I've only tested Windows 8. Sorry for the misleading title.
My first assumption was that the drivers for the presonus don't work well with Windows 8, rather than a hardware conflict or something.

@Chrispy_
Nothing in event viewer, I had checked, just unexpected shutdowns due to power being lost.
I'll do a memory test. The machine hasn't really been under high load yet, except when using FL studio with a bunch of powerful plugins like Guitar Rig, Omnisphere.. (~2GB RAM usage, relatively high CPU usage) oddly enough the computer hasn't crashed yet while using FL studio (the interface has, but no computer lockups).

My current plan is to keep the soundcard unplugged and see if I can restart OK and if I get any more lockups.
RhysAndrews
Gerbil

Return to General Hardware