Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: dymt reloaded

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:39 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I kind of like Maker's Mark and Knob Creek, but I'm a bit of a cheapskate; I drink Kracken rum.

How do you like the Kraken? I just tried the new Captain Morgan's Black and it was pretty good.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:07 am

It's pretty tasty but potent; something like 95 proof. If you're mixing it be careful because it'll sneak up on you (as I learned to my sorrow--2-3 ounces of regular rum doesn't do too much to me, but 3 ounces of kracken really does hit me hard). It's similar to Captain Morgan black label but with less vanilla taste basically. I slightly prefer the black label because of the vanilla-ish hint it has, but if you'd prefer your rum without it, Kracken would be better. It's also a damn sight cheaper at least here.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:58 pm

We bought a Surface at work to test out and see if its worth looking at going forward and I won the Rock-Paper-Scissors tournament to see who gets to take it 1st. I'm picking it up this afternoon. Anyone use one yet?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:07 pm

So...winter is here, and I like to lightly sweeten my hot tea with honey, but my local target discontinued Stash tea products including the honey straws. I figured the local Whole Foods might carry something equivalent, so I made a stop during my lunch hour. In the space of five minutes, I saw four different brunettes wearing minor variations of the same black yoga leggings, boots, and a long-sleeved, bluish-purple ensemble top.

Which, lacking Starfleet Academy insignias, is actually quite eery. I paid cash and got out of there.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:36 pm

ludi wrote:
So...winter is here, and I like to lightly sweeten my hot tea with honey, but my local target discontinued Stash tea products including the honey straws. I figured the local Whole Foods might carry something equivalent, so I made a stop during my lunch hour. In the space of five minutes, I saw four different brunettes wearing minor variations of the same black yoga leggings, boots, and a long-sleeved, bluish-purple ensemble top.

Which, lacking Starfleet Academy insignias, is actually quite eery. I paid cash and got out of there.

Whole Foods is a bizarre place. The food does seem to be of fairly high quality, but it tends to be way over-priced. And homeopathic remedies? Yeah, right... :roll:

When they first opened up the one near us I noted that they had a decent selection of microbrewed beers. My hopes in this area were quickly dashed though; they're all kept directly under (and very close to) bright flourescent lights. Every beer I've bought there has been badly lightstruck (skunked), so I don't buy beer there any more.

I'll occasionally go there if I need an unusual ingredient for a batch of homebrew (e.g. unsweetened flaked coconut, bulk raw buckwheat, etc.), and hit their food court once in a blue moon for lunch, but that's about it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

So, my wife just told me to ask our GM if our weekly gurps group can meet at our house this week so we don't have to drag Samuel around to it.

Personally, after what she went through, I'd be gobbling codine for a week :lol: But she really wants to have our session.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 pm

Put the car seat at your feet, bundle him in well, and slowly rock the car seat as you play. Works like a charm. For a sleeping infant, the car seat is the best place to be. After all, normal ones are about the only thing to challenge cats for hours of sleep per day.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:46 am

Ugh. Will someone try to explain airline pricing policies? Yesterday 3 tickets on JetBlue from Burlington VT to Raleigh/Durham NC were $1300. Today they're $1800. The same 3 tickets on US Scare (to Wilmington, NC) were $1900 yesterday and $1400 today.

I give up.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:42 am

From a blog post comment:

"English doesn’t borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."

Can't say as I disagree.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:53 am

Captain Ned wrote:
From a blog post comment:

"English doesn’t borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar."

Can't say as I disagree.

Bwuahahahahaha, that is the greastest thing i've heard all week.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:55 am

Arclight wrote:
Bwuahahahahaha, that is the greastest thing i've heard all week.

Goes a long way to explaining the mess of our verb tenses.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 am

JBI wrote:
My hopes in this area were quickly dashed though; they're all kept directly under (and very close to) bright flourescent lights. Every beer I've bought there has been badly lightstruck (skunked), so I don't buy beer there any more.

Did you bring that issue to the attention of a manager? Whole Foods might actually be the kind of place that would listen.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Uh-oh: contrary to popular belief, you really can hurt the Twinkie.

Somebody will pick up the product brand, though. Hostess may have fallen on hard times, but their brands have got to have some profit left in them.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:55 pm

ludi wrote:
Uh-oh: contrary to popular belief, you really can hurt the Twinkie.

Somebody will pick up the product brand, though. Hostess may have fallen on hard times, but their brands have got to have some profit left in them.

Hostess is a **** company. In 2004 their workers agreed to a pay cut with the savings supposed to go to major infrastructure upgrades like new equipment etc. Instead, it wasn't and now they are asking for another paycut. I'm glad the workers said no, striked, and I'm glad this garbage company is going under as a result. Hope those at the top are hurting real bad. Jerkoffs.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
Hope those at the top are hurting real bad. Jerkoffs.

They're owned by venture capital firms now; unfortunately they get their payday either way. In fact, by liquidating they probably get an early payoff, for less effort than it would've taken to turn the company around.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:
Hope those at the top are hurting real bad. Jerkoffs.

They're owned by venture capital firms now; unfortunately they get their payday either way. In fact, by liquidating they probably get an early payoff, for less effort than it would've taken to turn the company around.

That's kinda my feeling...

I'm crossing my fingers that someone like Little Debbie's (anyone really) not only buys the brand, but picks up some of those workers in the process.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:22 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
Hostess is a **** company. In 2004 their workers agreed to a pay cut with the savings supposed to go to major infrastructure upgrades like new equipment etc. Instead, it wasn't and now they are asking for another paycut. I'm glad the workers said no, striked, and I'm glad this garbage company is going under as a result. Hope those at the top are hurting real bad. Jerkoffs.

The management's side of the story is that the employee unions strangled the company with unreasonable demands. Which one is right (or at least, less wrong), I'm not in a good position to judge, except to note that (a) these situations are nearly always a two-way street, even if one side is ultimately at fault and (b) a lot of people other than the crews on the banking floor, many of whom had no dog in the fight, will lose their jobs as a result of the skirmish.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:36 pm

And this whole topic is verging on R&P, so please stop here.

Thanks in advance.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Headed out to a birthday (mine and a co-worker's) party at a bar that's walking distance from my house. I see no way this can turn out badly.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:27 pm

idchafee wrote:
Headed out to a birthday (mine and a co-worker's) party at a bar that's walking staggering distance from my house. I see no way this can turn out badly.
Enjoy yourself.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Glorious wrote:
JBI wrote:
My hopes in this area were quickly dashed though; they're all kept directly under (and very close to) bright flourescent lights. Every beer I've bought there has been badly lightstruck (skunked), so I don't buy beer there any more.

Did you bring that issue to the attention of a manager? Whole Foods might actually be the kind of place that would listen.

I remember when I went to Sea World, back when Anheuser Busch still owned it, they had something called "beer school" you could sign up for free to attend. Basically they gave you a quick education on the different styles of beer and let you sample them, and also talked about freshness (this was back when "born on" dating was something they were pushing hard).

So, at one point they gave us all two samples of Bud, one that was a fresh beer, and one that was skunked. Me and one other guy in the class actually preferred the skunked Budweiser to the fresh Budweiser, and said so. The facilitator of the "class" was not amused. :lol:

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Did they have you sample the 'fresh' sample first or the 'skunked' one? It might make a difference if you had the 'fresh' one first as your taste buds probably thought anything different after that had to be better. :D

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:12 pm

If I remember, it was more like "here's beer a, and beer b, which one tastes better?" and then they revealed they were both the same beer except one was fresh and one was old and skunked. Honestly they didn't tast too terribly different.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Well, where Budweiser is concerned letting it get skunked actually gives it some flavor, so I suppose I can see where some people might actually prefer it that way... :lol:

This is the "Heineken effect" -- an entire generation of beer drinkers has been conditioned to equate imported beer in green (or clear in the case of Corona) bottles with that aroma/flavor, and have come to accept it as "normal". IT ISN'T SUPPOSED TO TASTE LIKE THAT, DAMNIT!!! :evil:

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
This is the "Heineken effect" -- an entire generation of beer drinkers has been conditioned to equate imported beer in green (or clear in the case of Corona) bottles with that aroma/flavor, and have come to accept it as "normal". IT ISN'T SUPPOSED TO TASTE LIKE THAT, DAMNIT!!! :evil:

So awful. I for one hate Heineken.

My default beer these days is Harpoon IPA. Always a good time. Not too heavy or too light.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Heineken was a pretty decent beer back in the day if you got one from a closed case (or reasonably fresh on draft). They've dumbed it down over the years though.

A big thumbs up on the Harpoon from me too. IMO it's a little on the light side for an IPA; it's really more of an American Pale. But it's a very good beer. The bar down the street from the office used to have it; when they stopped getting it they saved the tap handle and gave it to me the next time I was there. Guess maybe I was the only one drinking it? :lol: (Harpoon isn't exactly a well-known brand here in IL...)

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:20 am

So, at one point they gave us all two samples of Bud, one that was a fresh beer, and one that was skunked. Me and one other guy in the class actually preferred the skunked Budweiser to the fresh Budweiser, and said so. The facilitator of the "class" was not amused. :lol:

Yeah, Bud is...not good. I'm not a huge beer guy to begin with, as it upsets my stomach pretty quick, but Bud and Coors and Miller are all just gross.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:27 am

just brew it! wrote:

Here in the Northeast it's the "Molson Golden" effect.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 am

In case anybody was wondering, getting a vasectomy isn't bad at all and Percocet is still awesome.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Dizik wrote:
In case anybody was wondering, getting a vasectomy isn't bad at all and Percocet is still awesome.

Percocet?? All I got was 800mg Motrins and 3 bags of frozen peas. Still got to spend the weekend on the couch watching sports, with a 2-hour cycle on the bags of peas.